HiFiMan RE262 question
Mar 24, 2011 at 12:06 PM Post #50 of 170

I am not a big listener of classical, so there's likely someone better to answer this... but I'll add a few comments.

I did some classical listening to get some impressions and I did like the overall presentation from the 262.  The musical sound signature and overall soundstage suite me well for classical.  However if I really want listen to the details, follow a particular instrument, or pick out the toe tapper in the seventh row of strings I'd likely choose another IEM.

I think ClieOS made a good point earlier in this post that fast complex music is not a strength for the 262, but I don't think anyone has said that it simply falls apart and is horrible.  I wouldn't let these impressions scare you away from the 262 unless you feel that this type of music would make up the bulk of your listening.  The 262 is capable (better when amped IMHO) but not spectacular.

If the bulk of your music is on the fast and complex side, if you're a detail type, perhaps you should consider an IEM with strengths in that area.  That's not the bias of the more musical and smooth 262.  The good news of course is that there are so many great affordable options out there to choose from. 

Quote:
If the 262 needs amping with faster, more complex music, does that mean that--unamped--it would not be ideal for big symphonies?

Mar 24, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #51 of 170
Thanks for the responses. It sounds like it would be ok, but for the same price there are other IEMs that promise to be more than just ok. For $10-20 more I could get the DBA-02, for example. How does the 262 compare with the Ety HR5?

Quote:
I am not a big listener of classical, so there's likely someone better to answer this... but I'll add a few comments.

I did some classical listening to get some impressions and I did like the overall presentation from the 262.  The musical sound signature and overall soundstage suite me well for classical.  However if I really want listen to the details, follow a particular instrument, or pick out the toe tapper in the seventh row of strings I'd likely choose another IEM.

I think ClieOS made a good point earlier in this post that fast complex music is not a strength for the 262, but I don't think anyone has said that it simply falls apart and is horrible.  I wouldn't let these impressions scare you away from the 262 unless you feel that this type of music would make up the bulk of your listening.  The 262 is capable (better when amped IMHO) but not spectacular.

If the bulk of your music is on the fast and complex side, if you're a detail type, perhaps you should consider an IEM with strengths in that area.  That's not the bias of the more musical and smooth 262.  The good news of course is that there are so many great affordable options out there to choose from. 

Quote:

Mar 24, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #52 of 170
Mar 24, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #54 of 170

Quote:
wow that is ridicoulous! do all iems suck up battery like this?

No it's the re262 and I think it has to do with its high impedance rating, about 150 ohms I think

Mar 25, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #56 of 170

Quote:
150 Ohm is quite unusual.....normally it would be around 16-32 Ohm.

iems are normally designed in such a way, that they can be driven by normal PMPs.

Yea just checked the stats again. It is 150 ohm. I think it has been designed to be used with bigger set ups as well

Mar 25, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #58 of 170

Quote:
Yea just checked the stats again. It is 150 ohm. I think it has been designed to be used with bigger set ups as well

Well, it is from the same company that makes HM60x and HM801 :)

Mar 25, 2011 at 3:35 AM Post #59 of 170

Quote:

Well, it is from the same company that makes HM60x and HM801 :)

Good point! 

Say ClieOS, have you tried the tip mod Fang posted? I think it gives me the best insertion and seal so far, the bass does become slightly more defined and the soundstage becomes more whole and organic, if that makes sense. I don't think I was getting a perfect fit before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back