Hifiman RE262 Initial Impressions
Nov 20, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #811 of 862
i have the older model, where when worn over the ear, the channels are reversed. are there any jacks or cable that could perhaps remedy this, as with the cable to switch around both sides on the newer models? those are balanced though, so i cant use them...

Dec 4, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #813 of 862
such a great iem , hifiman should bring it back

when paired with a good amp , this thing is worth much,much more than 100$(which is how much goes fs now)

Feb 2, 2014 at 11:03 AM Post #815 of 862
  Congrats on your 262s . I'd be curious to hear your comparison between the 262 and the newer Hifiman IEMs (you said you had the 400 or 600 earlier right?

after 2 weeks with RE-262,RE-272,EQ-5 i want to congratulate once again the folks at hifiman for giving us these 2 fantastic iems

all 3 are good , but there is some extra magic in both the 262 and the 272 , compared to the eq-5

the good thing is that all 3 have different sound signatures and don't sound alike

the major difference is that EQ-5 sounds very 'in your face' , like you are on the 1st row of a concert , sometimes i wish it was a bit more laid back (272 sounds like it is on the 3rd row and 262 on the 5th row)

262 is very sweet and mid-centric , and the use of the arrow 4G amp really opens it up - for 100$ i don't think there is a better iem - it completely destroys re-400 , imho

272 - well i have this baby almost 2.5 years and i still love it - lean,mean and eager to please. while 262 focus on the mids , 272 is more analytical and departs from the mid-focused presentation and the sound is so clear with ZERO sibilance - i don't know how they do it but it works

technically 272 is a better iem than the 262 - but the 262 sounds more sweet and warm , so this is a great combo

it reminds me of the stockton/malone duo in the 90s Utah Jazz - these 2 complient each other so well.

eq-5 hasn't really won me completely yet , but i guess it's too early this thing is still on the 'burn-in' level

hifiman , bring back 262/272 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feb 6, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #816 of 862
back from the future - nice one Benny i just tried this EQ proposal of yours

Quote:
  For those lucky few of you who are pairing the RE262 with your Cowon J3, here are the custom EQ settings I am using. I am running the J3 with a Headstage Arrow amp too, but you should still get beautiful sounding noises even if you're sonicventuring unamped.  Feel free to try these and tell me I'm an idiot though, cos chances are my ears don't hear like yours....

EQ bands:
80hz - wide - 0
300hz - wide - 0
1.1khz - wide - 2
3.0khz - wide - 3
13khz - wide - 3

BBE+ settings:
BBE 8
Mach3Bass 3
3D Surround Off
MP Enhance On

SE settings:
Stereo Enhance 4
Reverb Off

Certainly sound forking fantastic to me. Gotta love the synergy of the J3 and the 262s - chuck an Arrow into the mix and you got a menage a trois only slightly less delicious than that dream I had the other night involving Liv Tyler and Audrey Tautou.

p.s. Props due to Proedros and his golden ears for suggesting settings in the first place that I merely tweaked a little to my own tastes and posted here under the pretense that I'm a stonecold genius.  Which I am.

Feb 13, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #817 of 862
Just traded for some 262s, sold my e17 a while back, still have an iPod touch 2g. So suggestions for a portable for these? Would an all in one dap like the fiio x3 work? Or, portable amp suggestions welcome! Thanks in advance

Feb 15, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #818 of 862
What about something like the bravo v2? Its cheap and supposedly works well with iems

Feb 15, 2014 at 4:46 AM Post #819 of 862
the arrow is good and slim like Kate Moss - it goes around 200+ used though

Feb 16, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #820 of 862
whats everyones go to tip for these? just got em, lie them so far with the "clear" biflange. Wondering what to expect with other tips, complys, and non hfms.

Feb 20, 2014 at 8:57 AM Post #821 of 862
I sold my 262 a while back and it was one of my first good IEMs.  I am interested to hear these again.

I remember they did not do very well without amp, and i bought the c421 just to get more out of them.  I still did not like them that much, but maybe it was how i felt at the time.  I do remember hearing them at my friends place with his desktop amp + DAC (forgot what they were), and it sounded AMAZING, unfortunately i found it did not pair as well with my amp at the time.

I own the RE400 now, and love how they sound without amp (but i don't get much more out of them with amp).  Great IEM, but it just doesn't sound as smooth as my memory of the 262.

Feb 21, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #823 of 862
Have had a few days now with mine, unamped for now. Runnning off an iPod touch 2g, I gotta say, I am thourougly happy with these, ya they could use a touch more treble, but those mids, oh those mids. And they seem to have a better soundstage than my re400s I had. I miss the 400s nuetrality and utter flatness, but much prefer this mid centric 262, using comply ts400s btw. Looking to get a portable amp, but not sure which one yet. I want a semi endgame portable just for these, because these are my "forever" iems for now.

Feb 21, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #824 of 862
Have had a few days now with mine, unamped for now. Runnning off an iPod touch 2g, I gotta say, I am thourougly happy with these, ya they could use a touch more treble, but those mids, oh those mids. And they seem to have a better soundstage than my re400s I had. I miss the 400s nuetrality and utter flatness, but much prefer this mid centric 262, using comply ts400s btw. Looking to get a portable amp, but not sure which one yet. I want a semi endgame portable just for these, because these are my "forever" iems for now.

using comply tips muffles the highs even more - try something else tip-wise

I also have the 262 and my arrow 4G does the job for me - tightens the sound and opens the highs - check it out , fantastic amp, tiny and neutral soundwise so it pairs well for the already sweet/lush and midcentric 262

imho , 262 >>>>> 400 - a shame Hifiman discontinued these babies....

Feb 21, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #825 of 862
I'm using the conplys simply because my ears find them the most comfortable. I played around with a few other tips and got other results, but so far the comply hits the spot for comfort, even if I lose a little. But, ill keep swappin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back