Hifiman RE262 Initial Impressions
Jan 16, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #796 of 862
Thanks a lot Proedros, all your RE-272 praises have greatly influenced me to find out what they are about! You guilty.
Can't wait to see how they do with a balanced HM801 (since supposedly, they were tuned for it)
I'll post my feedback once they are fully burned in, might be a few weeks... 
wink_face.gif

Jan 16, 2013 at 8:36 PM Post #797 of 862
you're welcome

if you like clear/analytical sound i think you will like em

let us know your impressions
L3000.gif

Quote:
Thanks a lot Proedros, all your RE-272 praises have greatly influenced me to find out what they are about! You guilty.
Can't wait to see how they do with a balanced HM801 (since supposedly, they were tuned for it)
I'll post my feedback once they are fully burned in, might be a few weeks... 
wink_face.gif

Feb 9, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #798 of 862
I recently purchased a pair of the 262s after seeing the incredible review by joker and the impressions from this thread and I would like to know how it fares with genres such as rock and certain soundtracks that don't have an emphasis on bass. I would also appreciate hearing about how the E6 might improve sound quality from an unamped source considering that it seems many find the E6 insufficient.

Feb 26, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #799 of 862
Well, I've had the RE-272 for about 5 weeks now and I am thrilled with them.
At the risk of repeating what other have said about them, I'll try to keep it short:

1. They were a bit too edgy/snappy for my taste at first but burn in time smoothed them up beautifully. Sounded great after about 150 hrs, excellent after 300 hrs, and plain wonderful now at 500 hrs mark. 
2. I was kind of disappointed about the bass but quickly realized finding the right fit is crucial in the bass rendering department. Once I found the optimal insertion/depth with white silicone double flange tips, the bass/sub bass were 10 times improved already. Still a bit shy for me (coming from AH-D7000 and ie80) but the use of the equalizer on Hifiman HM-801 and iphone 4 (with $4.99 Accudio app!) took care of that beautifully. Bass texture and quality is now fantastic to my ears. The whole frequency spectrum is so well balanced and natural.
People seem to point at the treble being the strength of these buds but I think the meds, bass, and sub bass are equality impressive.

When comparing them with the balanced Hifiman with an iphone, I definitely preferred the Hifiman which produced better everything especially better bass weight. However, after installing Accudio pro on my iphone to benefit from an equalizer and better (Flac) files quality, I am quite amazed at how great the RE-272 sound. If not quite up to the balanced Hifiman's standard, it still sounds so good that I rarely use my Hifiman on the go anymore!!! I could totally live with just that.

... Perhaps the nicest surprise was to find out that Re-272 render any recording (older included) very well as opposed to many other earphones/headphones that in my experience, appeared to be very much recording dependent... 

Thanks to everyone's contribution that led me to give them a try, I'm sure enjoying them daily!

Feb 27, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #800 of 862
glad to hear you like them so much

imo you should post this on a re-272 thread - and yeah these are great iems

too bad these got discontinued , i jut saw that the 200$ pairs selling at amazon have sold out

oh well , hopefully hifiman will return with another winner
Quote:
Well, I've had the RE-272 for about 5 weeks now and I am thrilled with them.
At the risk of repeating what other have said about them, I'll try to keep it short:

1. They were a bit too edgy/snappy for my taste at first but burn in time smoothed them up beautifully. Sounded great after about 150 hrs, excellent after 300 hrs, and plain wonderful now at 500 hrs mark. 
2. I was kind of disappointed about the bass but quickly realized finding the right fit is crucial in the bass rendering department. Once I found the optimal insertion/depth with white silicone double flange tips, the bass/sub bass were 10 times improved already. Still a bit shy for me (coming from AH-D7000 and ie80) but the use of the equalizer on Hifiman HM-801 and iphone 4 (with $4.99 Accudio app!) took care of that beautifully. Bass texture and quality is now fantastic to my ears. The whole frequency spectrum is so well balanced and natural.
People seem to point at the treble being the strength of these buds but I think the meds, bass, and sub bass are equality impressive.

When comparing them with the balanced Hifiman with an iphone, I definitely preferred the Hifiman which produced better everything especially better bass weight. However, after installing Accudio pro on my iphone to benefit from an equalizer and better (Flac) files quality, I am quite amazed at how great the RE-272 sound. If not quite up to the balanced Hifiman's standard, it still sounds so good that I rarely use my Hifiman on the go anymore!!! I could totally live with just that.

... Perhaps the nicest surprise was to find out that Re-272 render any recording (older included) very well as opposed to many other earphones/headphones that in my experience, appeared to be very much recording dependent... 

Thanks to everyone's contribution that led me to give them a try, I'm sure enjoying them daily!

Mar 18, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #802 of 862
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this but I have a pair of RE262 and the sound died out on the right side. I think the problems lies with the bottom half of the wire(not sure what it's called. Below is a link of a picture of the stuff included in the original packaging. The three wires to the right of the IEMs are what I'm referring to. I'm not sure if my package came with 3 but I always used the white wire because the black one always only gave sound to the left side.

https://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchfield.com/ImageHandler/fixedscale/900/900/products/2012/27/818/x818RE262-o_all.jpeg

So in any case, I imagine the best solution would be to buy a new wire? Does anyone know if those are sold standalone? Really need someone's help! 

Mar 18, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #804 of 862
Depending on when you purchased them they might give you the cable for free. Like the guy above said give them a shout. I needed a cable and they gave it to me after I emailed them the invoice.

Oct 30, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #805 of 862
waiting for a traded re-262 to arrive to my doorstep , and comments like this make me drool

especially when the money i spent in order to finally get these 262 were around 50$ (don't ask how , let's just say that god/satan wanted me to try these babies once more)

Quote:
  It amazes me that the vocals on the 262's excel even that of my W4. The vocals are appreciably more crisp and I've never heard such vocals at this level of clarity.

Oct 30, 2013 at 9:48 PM Post #806 of 862
Will you then pass along your 272 to me for $75?? :wink: Congrats on your 262s especially for that price (I thought I had it good getting mine for $100). I'd be curious to hear your comparison between the 262 and the newer Hifiman IEMs (you said you had the 400 or 600 earlier right?

Oct 31, 2013 at 6:55 AM Post #807 of 862
no way i am selling my 272s
eek.gif
these are my fav iems

i had the re400 but it didn't really wow me so i traded IT for the 262 cause i wanna see how they pair with the arrow 4G

I will do a 262/400 comparison although i listened to the 400 few hours

Quote:
  Will you then pass along your 272 to me for $75?? :wink: Congrats on your 262s especially for that price (I thought I had it good getting mine for $100). I'd be curious to hear your comparison between the 262 and the newer Hifiman IEMs (you said you had the 400 or 600 earlier right?

Nov 7, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #808 of 862
hey guys

what's the best way to change the filters on my RE-262 ?

are there any videos with instructions on youTube ?

Nov 8, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #809 of 862
i tried your mod ANDEROAN , i will get back with impressions

after 3 years , i decided to jump back in the 262 train , cause i had to try them again , this time amped (Arrow 4G)

i have for the last 2 years the RE-272 which I am really satisfied with

so , i don't know if it the use of the amp or my hearing that has changed ,but these sound really good , almost like a 272 with even better mids

and to think that I managed to get them for almost 50$ - damn I love this place !!!!

great iems , especially for all us who don't have the money to spend on iems costing 500$+

amazing value-for money

Quote:
  as you can see the top set are the modded ones with 2mm cut away form the smaller flange, nice change more bass, nicer sound, but the bottom set, with just the larger flange removed, and the smaller one left alone, BOY OH BOY!!! huge difference better bass!!! bigger soundstage!!!! and even smoother mids!!!! just a more super filled out fuller sound over all, my TF 10's never got this good, and the re262's fit and fit and fit, i go out walking the dog and i never had to adjust them once!!! the TF 10's quite a bit, got used to it though, and i thought those where the bomb, not any more!!! these 262's are quite nice if i do say!
atsmile.gif

Nov 17, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #810 of 862
so after having 262/272 for 10 days , i can say that the 262 may be more fun initially , but the 272 is the better one technically so in the end they both balance each other

which one i pick depends mostly on the music i listen to and the nature of the recording/production

and yes the 262 needs a good amp to shine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back