Hifiman RE262 Initial Impressions
Nov 8, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #781 of 862
Quote:
Do the re262 require an amp? What if I used it out of my ip5 unamped

Well, they're rated at 150 Ohm, which is a lot for an IEM. I've never used mine without amping, but from what I've read, you can use them without amping but they won't perform at their full potencial. And they are very good when amped...

Nov 10, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #783 of 862
How do these compare to Rezeros?

Nov 11, 2012 at 10:48 AM Post #784 of 862
First off, I just experianced how these sound with a proper amp and the difference is astounding.  I originally was just using a fiio e6 and it didn't do much for them, bass was distant and not defined, mid range sounded grainy and the highs rolled off super fast.

Then I got  the c421 (op8620) and it's just made a world of difference.  I think this amp is perfect for the re262 as well because it has a slightly analytical signature which really pairs well with the mid boosted 262.  But everything has come to life, full and quick rounded bass, just enough sparkle on the high all while maintaining the laid back and sweet qualities of the 262 of which so many people love.  I actually had mine for sale but I'm definitely going to keep them now.

I also have the RE-Zero's and these are quite a different headphone.  I love them both, the Zero's are easier to drive for sure as you won't need an amp to enjoy them as I did with 262's.  There is more treble sparkle on the zero's, a little bit of a sharper sound without being annoying.  The bass isn't as rounded as it has a quicker attack on the zero's.  It sounds as if there's slightly more mid bass with the 262's but it doesn't bleed into the mids or become annoying.

I like the 262's better overall, I listen to a lot of acoustic music and jazz and they're great for anything with vocals.  Very relaxing and easy to listen too.  The zero's are slightly more analytical but by no means are harsh.  I hope that helps.

EDIT:  So I just checked the ZERO and the 262, and the 262 is indeed as stated above 150 and the ZERO is 16.  So if you don't want to go for a nice portable amp then go with the 272's which are 20 ohm's or the ZERO's.  I can't speak for the 272's because I haven't heard them.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Nov 11, 2012 at 10:56 AM Post #785 of 862
Quote:

This is my opinion based on A/Bing from an iPhone 5 w/o amp and Clip+ w/o amp using lossless files. The 262s got plenty loud for me, but they do drain the battery faster. I'm planning on just charging the iPhone/Clip+ more often vs carrying an amp around. I also listened to them amped with a Fiio E6 (flat EQ) and did not notice any change in frequency response or 'better' sound necesarily. I would only recommend amping if you a) want to utilize bass boost or b) your source isn't loud enough or c) you want to intentionally color the sound with an amp or d) have money to spend on a quality amp

Treble: Similar extension, not as much output - there's a relatively steep dropoff after ~8k, so cymbal crashes for instance aren't as loud/forward as the ZERO.

Mid: Pure bliss. If you loved the ZERO's mids, this kicks it up to a whole another level. Upper mids tend to sound more forward to me, because the treble is a little recessed in comparison

Bass: More quantity and extension, but definitely not basshead level. If you liked the bass on your ZEROs you will love the 262s. Sounds such as the snare drum don't quite have the sparkle that ZERO does, and fast drum rolls tend to sound a little congested/muffled (again, treble rolloff to blame here, IMO)

Soundstage: Much better than ZERO, in my opinion. Better instrument separation, more 3D (think of the centered sounds coming from in front of you rather than in your head with the ZEROs

Tips: tend to change the soundstage and response quite a bit on the 262s, so if you do get them be sure to try different tips because they sound amazing with the right fit.

Overall impression: I loved my ZEROs but was looking for a tad more bass and better soundstage, and the 262s deliver. I still love the highs of the ZEROs better though - they had good extension without sounding fatiguing. The 262s sound even more relaxed due to their mid-focused sound, but there are some tracks where I miss that sparkle of the ZEROs

I would also look into the VSonic GR07 if you are not too sensitive to edgy treble and can tolerate some sibilance. It has much better bass quantity and impact than both the 262 and ZERO, and the soundstage is pretty wide. I really liked them except for the sibilance/treble. Wearing them over the ear and odd square shape may also be a fit concern but their nozzle is adjustable so it's not that difficult to get a comfortable fit.

Hope this helps...FWIW after listening to the 262s and GR07, I probably won't listen to my ZEROs anymore. But at $60 right now they are absolutely incredible value.

Nov 11, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #786 of 862
Quote:
This is my opinion based on A/Bing from an iPhone 5 w/o amp and Clip+ w/o amp using lossless files. The 262s got plenty loud for me, but they do drain the battery faster. I'm planning on just charging the iPhone/Clip+ more often vs carrying an amp around. I also listened to them amped with a Fiio E6 (flat EQ) and did not notice any change in frequency response or 'better' sound necesarily. I would only recommend amping if you a) want to utilize bass boost or b) your source isn't loud enough or c) you want to intentionally color the sound with an amp or d) have money to spend on a quality amp

A good amp will do much more for the headphone then make it louder.  It makes all parts of the timbre you describe better and more defined.  The soundstage widens, the bass is cleaner and more impactful etc etc...the e6 simpyl isn;t enough for these as you said.

I do agree with the other comments about soundstage and tips etc etc.

WOW!  They're only 60 bucks!  That's quite a deal.

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Nov 11, 2012 at 6:53 PM Post #787 of 862
I had the 262 , they broke to the gym and i went ahead and upgraded to the 272

i really like the 272 , while the 262 never really won me due to its muffled.rolled-on highs

the 262 has great mids and decent bass , but highs...nope.plus they need an amp to shine.
the 272 has AMAZING highs , great mids , decent bass.no complain whatsoever

i see people leaving comment after comment for mediocre non balanced sonic-wise iems like tf10 etc and it pains me (and makes me laugh simyltaneously)

272 = true winners , i have them for >1 year and no thoughts of upgrading

people should definitely try those babies

Quote:
Anyone here have both the RE262 and RE272 on hand?  Care to explain the vital differences in sound, apart from impedance?

Nov 17, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #788 of 862
Considering downgrading from my UM3x to this. I don't use my UM3x much since I got the Heir 4.Ai, but I love the comfort and midrange of the UM3x. I was thinking about replacing it with a cheaper option and the RE262 looks like a good option. So, 2 questions:

1. How's the midrange (specifically, how's it compare to the UM3x, but I don't know how many people have listened to both)?
2. How's the comfort? The Heir 4.Ai's only problem is that it's not the most comfortable, so this is important.

Thanks!

Nov 19, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #791 of 862
Quote:
if anyone is interested I'm selling my RE262.

nevermind, it is sold already.
Will miss them dearly...
frown.gif

Nov 19, 2012 at 3:29 PM Post #792 of 862
Quote:
Is there a beautiful, intelligent, kind, compassionate, lovely person out there who has an extra large biflange? Lol. I lost one and hifiman wants $8..

I'm a beautiful, intelligent, kind (when I feel like), compassionate and lovely (doubtfully) person who happens to have an extra pair of large biflanges laying around without use...
Tell you what, if you buy my Etymotic MC5 or Sennheiser CX95 I'll add the pair of biflanges to the package for free.
biggrin.gif

Nov 21, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #793 of 862
A bit off topic, I got in on the $60 clearance RE-Zero's.  I had a pair two years ago and from my recollection they required long time to burn in.  Fast forward two years.  The RE-Zeros required much less burn in and to me they sound very similar to the RE-262.  I will do more extensive listening but the RE-Zeros don't sound thin.  I really liked the RE-Zeros for what they were, a beast when it came to vocals.  The clarity and detail was amazing, but not smooth.  There's a little more meat to the low end of these 2012 Zeros as well.  A case of failed audio recollection or Fang tweaked with the RE-Zeroes over the years?   

Edit: 2nd pair sounds like the RE-Zero I know.  This pair will need more burn-in time.  1st Pair driven by the cMoyBB sounds very 262-ish, though not quite as creamy and smooth.

Nov 23, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #794 of 862
Does anyone know of a shorter extension than the one provided that also flips the channels? About a foot shorter would be amazing (so a 1-1.5 foot extension)...

Dec 9, 2012 at 2:45 AM Post #795 of 862

I agree with what Zach915m said:

- The re262 sounds much much better with a good amp (im using the c421 as well 
biggrin.gif
 )
- The re-zero is different.  If you are expecting the same sound signature as the re-zero look elsewhere.  The 262 highs are rolled off ever so slightly.  You get more sparkle with the re-zero, and quicker bass, more "wow factor".  The 262 is hard to describe, it never wowed me, but it does grow on you, it sounds really good, but I cant exactly explain why 
confused.gif
  Nothing about it really stands out for me and i think thats what makes it so good.  When an earphone wows you cause of the bass, you complain about the detail, when a earphone is highly detailed you complain about the lack of bass, etc.
- Un-amped straight out of my iPhone, i prefer the re-zero.  The 262 needs amping to open up and really hear the treble. Without the amp, the highs roll off much sooner and makes the music boring to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back