Hifiman RE262 Initial Impressions
Apr 19, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #841 of 862
there are a lot of good reviews on their site so they seem legit - if my 262 break down i will probably have them recabled there

speaking of the 262 - its soundstage is simply incredible....hifiman produced a soundstage beast here

I need to say that I am not a fan of the RE-262.
I have owned it for several years, but I could never really warm up to it.

The soundstage is ok (one of the reasons I manly use headphones, instead of iems).
What bothers me most, is the lack of anything beyond the midrange, i am increasingly becoming a treble head, so the RE-262 often lacks the sparkle i need for my music.

I hope to replace it with something else soon enough.

Apr 19, 2014 at 10:16 AM Post #842 of 862
did you use it unamped ? it is a completely different iem amped - for 100$ i don't think there are many better iems out there

as for the treble thing , you should try RE-272 , this was the king of treble of hifiman iems

Quote:

I need to say that I am not a fan of the RE-262.
I have owned it for several years, but I could never really warm up to it.

The soundstage is ok (one of the reasons I manly use headphones, instead of iems).
What bothers me most, is the lack of anything beyond the midrange, i am increasingly becoming a treble head, so the RE-262 often lacks the sparkle i need for my music.

I hope to replace it with something else soon enough.

Apr 19, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #843 of 862

did you use it unamped ? it is a completely different iem amped - for 100$ i don't think there are many better iems out there

as for the treble thing , you should try RE-272 , this was the king of treble of hifiman iems

I use it amped with a 3Move. And to be honest, I am having problems discerning any (obvious and non psychological) differences.

My general feelings mixed, I don't find the RE-262 to be bad per se, but I have yet to find a album which I truly enjoy on it. In addition to that, I tend to be a rock (not metal) listener, so I simply feel that the RE-262s 'lush' nature, cannot keep up with multiple layers of sound.
I regret not having bought the RE-272 from the beginning.

I am considering going for a ck100pro, as a more analytical and (hopefully) faster alternative to my RE-262, which I will fix and keep.

By the way:

The only song, which really really is very nice on the RE-262 for me (to this point):

Close to you from this particular ReMaster...

Apr 19, 2014 at 1:14 PM Post #844 of 862
yeah , 262 is best suited for jazz/mellow music which sounds very nice due to its lush mids - for more fast/rock music i turn to re272 and to EQ5(which is even more rock-suited)

it's like an NBA team , you have 262 for jazz/acoustic , 272 for more rock and eq5 for somewhere between 262 and 272

re262 is too mid-focused to be the only iem in your collection , then again i got mine for 60$ so i can not complain 1%

you should get something like CK-10 as a counter-balance to the mid-centric 262

Quote:

I use it amped with a 3Move. And to be honest, I am having problems discerning any (obvious and non psychological) differences.

My general feelings mixed, I don't find the RE-262 to be bad per se, but I have yet to find a album which I truly enjoy on it. In addition to that, I tend to be a rock (not metal) listener, so I simply feel that the RE-262s 'lush' nature, cannot keep up with multiple layers of sound.
I regret not having bought the RE-272 from the beginning.

I am considering going for a ck100pro, as a more analytical and (hopefully) faster alternative to my RE-262, which I will fix and keep.

By the way:

The only song, which really really is very nice on the RE-262 for me (to this point):

Apr 19, 2014 at 2:04 PM Post #845 of 862
yeah , 262 is best suited for jazz/mellow music which sounds very nice due to its lush mids - for more fast/rock music i turn to re272 and to EQ5(which is even more rock-suited)

it's like an NBA team , you have 262 for jazz/acoustic , 272 for more rock and eq5 for somewhere between 262 and 272

re262 is too mid-focused to be the only iem in your collection , then again i got mine for 60$ so i can not complain 1%

you should get something like CK-10 as a counter-balance to the mid-centric 262

I used to listen to quite a lot of jazz ....for that, it lacked the airiness, i normally like in my sound.

I increasingly listen to rock and contemporary classical music (read: Steve Reich....). 
That's why, as you said, I want to counterbalance it with the ck100pro (the ck10 is no longer in production).
- I am just afraid that it is too picky with recordings and that the separation may be a bit 'disappointing'.

Apr 19, 2014 at 2:30 PM Post #846 of 862

I used to listen to quite a lot of jazz ....for that, it lacked the airiness, i normally like in my sound.

I increasingly listen to rock and contemporary classical music (read: Steve Reich....). 

That's why, as you said, I want to counterbalance it with the ck100pro (the ck10 is no longer in production).

- I am just afraid that it is too picky with recordings and that the separation may be a bit 'disappointing'.

i know reich although i have only listened to his 18 musicians thing and yeah it needs a fast iem there

the 262 is not really airy - it is more lush and mellow like honey in a way , so i get what you are saying about the lack of airiness

i never had the ck10(0) so i don't know which one you need - many great iems now available though so with a bit of study you will find what you're looking for

speaking of jazz when i listen to the electric miles stuff which is my favourite thing of his , i tend to pick the 272 as the 262 is too slow and the eq5 is bordeline edgy

i never understood why Hifiman discontinued 272 - price it at 200$ and you kill the iem competition when looking for a lean/analytical IEM

even at 250$ , i never regretted one dollar spent on this baby

Apr 19, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #847 of 862

i know reich although i have only listened to his 18 musicians thing and yeah it needs a fast iem there

the 262 is not really airy - it is more lush and mellow like honey in a way , so i get what you are saying about the lack of airiness

i never had the ck10(0) so i don't know which one you need - many great iems now available though so with a bit of study you will find what you're looking for

speaking of jazz when i listen to the electric miles stuff which is my favourite thing of his , i tend to pick the 272 as the 262 is too slow and the eq5 is bordeline edgy

i never understood why Hifiman discontinued 272 - price it at 200$ and you kill the iem competition when looking for a lean/analytical IEM

even at 250$ , i never regretted one dollar spent on this baby

When I initially bought the RE-262, my main genre of music was acoustic. With Jack Johnson's guitar, the RE-262 did, despite its lack of airiness, show its merits.
But the more genres of music i added to my music collection, i noticed that that honey-like lushness resulted in a very unversatile iem. I also never found that much existed beyond the RE-262s midrange, the bass was not impactful and the treble was almost congested (to my taste).

I cannot comment on the RE-272, as i never listened to it. But it seems to be an interesting product, especially comparing its speed and attack to the RE-262.

The only reason i probably wouldn't buy a RE-272, is the because of the bad experiences i had with my RE-262s build quality (and HiFimans confusing customer service).

- i am not trying to bash the RE-262 (doing so would hardly make any sense, as it is out of production), i am simply stating my personal disappointment with a mispurchase. And i am trying to understand the RE-262s fan base and the reason why they find it so compelling.

May 19, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #848 of 862
Hey guys, have you heard either the VC1000 or DN1000 to make a comparison for me?

Thanks in advance!

May 19, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #849 of 862
  Hey guys, have you heard either the VC1000 or DN1000 to make a comparison for me?

Thanks in advance!

what kind of sound are you looking for ?

262 are mid-centric , beautiful lush mids, decent bass , slightly mellow highs - kinda slow for 'fast' music (like rock) and they need an amp to really shine

May 19, 2014 at 8:26 PM Post #850 of 862

what kind of sound are you looking for ?

262 are mid-centric , beautiful lush mids, decent bass , slightly mellow highs - kinda slow for 'fast' music (like rock) and they need an amp to really shine

Balanced, fast, slightly "u" shaped and with great clarity. Mostly for pop/rock. So I don't think they're for me xD

May 19, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #851 of 862
  Balanced, fast, slightly "u" shaped and with great clarity. Mostly for pop/rock. So I don't think they're for me xD

i also think these are not tthe iems you want

May 20, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #852 of 862

I don't recommend the RE-262 for any kind of music which needs layering or seperation or speed (or clarity for that matter).

I found it to reach its limits even with slow acoustic music, due to the use of stringed instruments.

Better look somewhere else.

May 20, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #853 of 862
i also think these are not tthe iems you want

I don't recommend the RE-262 for any kind of music which needs layering or seperation or speed (or clarity for that matter).

I found it to reach its limits even with slow acoustic music, due to the use of stringed instruments.

Better look somewhere else.

Yeah, thank you guys! :wink:

Jun 18, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #854 of 862
Hey fellow RE-262 owners,

I am currently on my 3rd and last pair of bi-flangs (they tend to fall off and get lost).

Does anybody know where to get replacements, as Head-Direct doesn't seem to sell them anymore?...

:beerchug:

Jan 7, 2015 at 10:12 PM Post #855 of 862
Finally got an amp for my 262s, they really improve with the "medium" bass gain on the C5D.

https://imgur.com/a/VOzP5

OnePlus One 64GB with official CM12 nightlies.
JDS Labs C5D Headphone Amp+DAC.
HIFIMAN RE-262 IEMs.

The CM12 nightly is still a bit buggy (audio will occasionally get noisy when a notification comes in, forcing me to pause and un-pause the music to fix it). Otherwise it's all wonderful. The C5D just arrived today. It's perfect because I wanted something I could use both with my phone and with my Macbook Air.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back