Hifiman RE262 Initial Impressions
Oct 29, 2010 at 4:29 PM Post #227 of 862
what tips work with the 262s and what are they supplied with? are they like the re0, 1, &2 (which take comply 400s)? has anyone tried monster super tips yet? how do tip swaps affect them?

if anyone could answer my previous question (in post #215) regarding the balanced connector i'd appreciate it. tia.

Oct 29, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #228 of 862
The tips are pretty much the same as previous models. As for your question about balanced the simplest would probably be a picture. I have a RE-Zero link in my signature where there's a picture of the connector somewhere. To my knowledge there is no amp or source that accepts that kind of connector to use for balanced.

Oct 29, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #229 of 862
Pretty standard set of accessories, 3 ring connector like most earphones.

Yeah, that's what happens when I don't write much.  Things are open to interpretation.
tongue.gif

I do question of the RE262 is a step forward or not though when compared to the RE252.  With the RE-ZERO, I feel it was a massive step forward versus the RE0 (although many don't see it being as massive as I do).  For the RE262, I don't know.  It's just different, and it seems more like  series of trade-offs rather than improvements.  I do like the gained impact.  The driver used is punchy, powerful, more so than even the RE252 which has good impact itself.  The 150ohm resistance is a bit deceiving too.  The driver ends up actually being super efficient and ends up not being all that hard to drive.  For volume level, I may call it borderline needing an amp, but it doesn't really seem to need the wattage to actually drive the earphone, just to let it get louder.  I am borrowing Hero Kid's RE262, and he did burn them in before shipping to me.  I may attempt to run them through some more burn in just to make sure they're loosened up and this is actually the end response for them.  The new housing is all plastic and well shaped.  Even though it's a hard plastic, it's shaped nicely and is comfortable.  Weight is not heavy too.  For as much as metal is liked, I do tend to prefer plastic many times for its low weight.

Oct 29, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #230 of 862
I think an amp is needed for these. Unamped while they don't sound bad I feel something is missing but with an amp added it is much better. Volume wise it isn't as bad as I thought as it just needs a bit more volume than usual. I'm still in the process of burning my pair in and not sure when I'll be done as I haven't had as much time as I'd like to listen to these.

Oct 30, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #233 of 862

Quote:
Well I had five glorious days with my re262 and hm-602 but today the right earpiece on the re262 stopped working.
angry_face.gif

I hope those were 5 glorious days then :p That does suck however..hopefully Head Direct fixes that promptly.

Oct 31, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #234 of 862
Oct 31, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #235 of 862
Thank you everyone all the support. All I have to say is Head-Direct is a awesome company that stands by all their products and have a great costumer service department.
For all those interested the re262 are covered under that warranty with the hm-602 purchase and I will be sending mine back monday for a replacement.

Oct 31, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #236 of 862
The only problem with this is that I can't wear them upside down to reduce microphonics unless I switch the left and the right. Is there an adapter that switches the left channel and the right one? I hate shirt clips and I definitely need an adapter.

Speaking of adapters both of my IEMs need an adapter! How annoying...
frown.gif

Nov 1, 2010 at 8:01 AM Post #238 of 862
Well I do get fit issues. I wonder how you are wearing that upside down. If I do that there is a space between my ear canal and the tips resulting in the death of my precious bass unless I switch channels. Well I might just sell these to get a full sized can since the player definitely deserves one and I am happy enough with my zeros. Well sound signature wise I even prefer the neutral Zero over these. but then again.........

Nov 1, 2010 at 10:49 AM Post #240 of 862
I've never fathomed out why so many people want to sleep with their iems in their ears. Bizarre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back