HiFiMAN RE-400 Review
Sep 7, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #136 of 301
I use the white thing to roll the cable on. It makes it heavier ... it pulls cable down a bit.
Maybe you need taller ears.

lol time to book in the plastic surgery to improve my ears for IEMs

Sep 8, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #137 of 301
lol time to book in the plastic surgery to improve my ears for IEMs

Try twisting the cable a bit before inserting. try both ways as I find its not really intuitive which way will improve fit. Deep insertion helps for me as well.

Sep 9, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #138 of 301
One thing that I notice is that I nearly always have to release the air pressure built upon inserting these into my ears. If I insert them without doing so, the mids and bass become muted and it ends up sounding more distant.

I do this by gently lifting them in one direction (in my case, lifting upwards works best) while they're inserted, which breaks the seal temporarily, releases some air, then upon letting go it re-seals and brings back the full sound. It makes me wonder how many people are affected by this as much as I am and aren't hearing the full potential of these IEMs.

This is with Auvio tips, by the way. It may be that these tips make this issue more prominent for me, but these tips are what makes the RE-400 sound the best to my ears.

Sep 9, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #139 of 301
Anyone know how to tell if your pair is the newer version with the improved jack that won't break? I just got mine today, but it had the case with a bunch of extra tips outside the IEM package leading me to believe that an older version (w/ a potential faulty jack).

Initially impressions are pretty good. My main comparison is with the TDK IE800s which are more spacious but also have harsher treble. I'm finding these a little cramped sounding, but hopefully they'll open up with burn in. 

Sep 9, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #140 of 301
Just received mine today, also. Listening with the double tips over the ear now. Sounding pretty good to my ears :-D. Haven't listened to anything bassy, yet. Don't have anything real bassy. Ten sets of tips came with it, including two sets of comply tips. I ordered mine thru Head Direct.

I do have a question. Under the "features and specifications" section, in the little bitty owners manual, it says "mini adapter for regular earphone jack". What does that mean? I don't see any thing that remotely looks like an adapter included in my packaging.

Sep 9, 2013 at 11:29 PM Post #141 of 301
Ok, for the last 45 minutes or so, I've been listening with the comply tips. I can really hear a difference in these and the other two sets of tips that I had tried. A very good difference. I had read about them, but never tried them before. I really like them.

I'm not sure about the iems, yet though. The right one has a sound in it that I don't hear from the left side. I hope it is not anything, but I will try to pin point it, if I can. Other than that, I'm really liking their sound.

Sep 10, 2013 at 12:27 AM Post #142 of 301
Well, I don't think that sound I was hearing is the iem. It was a noise similar to a vibration or a "reverb" or distortion(?), if that makes sense. And it was only coming out of the right iem. I was using it plugged into my new Verizon Samsung Galaxy s4 smart phone. Most of the music I was listening to were from cd's that I had burned onto my computer, then transferred them to the phone via the Google Music app from the cloud.

What I have done is plug the cord directly into my computer and am now listening to music on the computer. I have, so far, listened to maybe 9 or 10 songs, without a hint of that noise. These earphones really sound good:). I don't know much about these sort of things. What could be causing that noise while connected to the phone, but not to the computer? I originally had some dsp turned on, but did pretty much flat line it to see if that would help. It did help, but I could still hear it slightly.

Could it be a bad download or something in the phone? It was not only one song, but almost every one from two or three different albums.

Thx, for any help.

Frank

Sep 10, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #144 of 301
  Anyone?

I don't believe there is any way to be able to tell. If you purchased them directly from HiFiMAN recently, you likely will have one that doesn't have the issue that they addressed previously. If you purchased them from anywhere else, it will probably depend on how new their stock is.

Just use them normally as you would and if a problem should present itself, contact HiFiMAN and they will take care of you.

Sep 10, 2013 at 2:56 PM Post #145 of 301
I've been using my (old) pair for around 5 months now, and I haven't ran into any issues with the jack yet. I've stuffed them into my pocket hundreds of times and used them nearly everyday. Still going strong for now anyway.

Sep 11, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #146 of 301
  Anyone know how to tell if your pair is the newer version with the improved jack that won't break? I just got mine today, but it had the case with a bunch of extra tips outside the IEM package leading me to believe that an older version (w/ a potential faulty jack).

Initially impressions are pretty good. My main comparison is with the TDK IE800s which are more spacious but also have harsher treble. I'm finding these a little cramped sounding, but hopefully they'll open up with burn in. 

theirs a faulty jack issue>>???!!! i dunno if mines is older or new! i'm so in love with sound now. i wish they could be faster when i want it to and slower when i need it to but thats asking for the magic iem. The re400 will have to do for now.

the re400 has a chunky j shape jack, dunno why there should be an issue unless ur abuse the jack

Sep 11, 2013 at 4:01 PM Post #147 of 301
theirs a faulty jack issue>>???!!! i dunno if mines is older or new! i'm so in love with sound now. i wish they could be faster when i want it to and slower when i need it to but thats asking for the magic iem. The re400 will have to do for now.

the re400 has a chunky j shape jack, dunno why there should be an issue unless ur abuse the jack

There was an issue which Hifiman admit to and I believe has been remedied. I had the jack issue and did not abuse mine. I babied them yet I was still getting cut out issues. When I sent them back to the shop, I got new ones back in a couple of days.

Sep 11, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #148 of 301
Can anyone confirm if the new jack looks different

Sep 11, 2013 at 10:14 PM Post #149 of 301
  I've been using my (old) pair for around 5 months now, and I haven't ran into any issues with the jack yet. I've stuffed them into my pocket hundreds of times and used them nearly everyday. Still going strong for now anyway.

Ditto.   I got mine as soon as they were released, and I have no issues what so ever.   

However, I hope it's not my luck that they break right after the warranty is up.

Sep 12, 2013 at 4:48 AM Post #150 of 301
Does anybody who owns these IEMs own the sennheiser ie80 or at least listened to them? I know price is a mismatch seeing as the Senns can go up to $400 on Amazon while the re-400 up to $100, but I'd really like to find out how these compare. I owned the senns a while back and I loved their signature, but now im looking to go for a cheaper pair of IEMs like these but not give up much sound quality. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back