HiFiMAN RE-400 Review
Aug 21, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #106 of 301
Quote:
As a point of information, I'm using the Comply T-500 with these, not the recommended T-400. The fit is still good onto the phones, not loose at all. Handy if you've got some hanging around, as I did.

I find the music a bit more engaging over the stock large double flanges. More comfortable too!

BZ

i agree with that comment!!

i actually use the stock tips that came already installed on the re400s! they seal the best for me. they have the most neutral sound signature!

Aug 21, 2013 at 9:47 AM Post #107 of 301
Quote:
None of stock ones are particulary comfortable to me. The small ones are to small, and the other two sizes have a bit to much pressure. Smaller double-flanges have best sound for me, but I strugle to get a good seal. I am used to foam earplugs, so I will try comply ... it looks like these will do.

instead of jumping to foam just yet! try the sony hybrids! i found they fit better than the stock tips!

they give just a slight more v shape (very slight!) its very nice imo!! i was debating between using those or the stock tips! i actually like a warmer sound, but it does lose some of its percision during imaging. however i already have the klipsch s4i which are very warm and colored already, i figured i want something different to try. 

sony hybrids can last a lot longer (probably forever if you take care of em) > ANY FOAM

Aug 21, 2013 at 12:01 PM Post #109 of 301
Quote:
instead of jumping to foam just yet! try the sony hybrids! i found they fit better than the stock tips!

they give just a slight more v shape (very slight!) its very nice imo!! i was debating between using those or the stock tips! i actually like a warmer sound, but it does lose some of its percision during imaging. however i already have the klipsch s4i which are very warm and colored already, i figured i want something different to try. 

sony hybrids can last a lot longer (probably forever if you take care of em) > ANY FOAM

Ummm.........I tried the Sonys but due to the smaller opening at the tip, they had a tendency to attenuate not only the high end, but the upper mids as well.     They actually attenuated these freqs more than the Complys did.

On a side note, if you go to HifiMans site, they have a whole new set of tips that you can purchase for both the RE-400's and the 600's.

Aug 21, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #110 of 301
Quote:
Ummm.........I tried the Sonys but due to the smaller opening at the tip, they had a tendency to attenuate not only the high end, but the upper mids as well.     They actually attenuated these freqs more than the Complys did.

On a side note, if you go to HifiMans site, they have a whole new set of tips that you can purchase for both the RE-400's and the 600's.

I think those tips come with the RE-400s now (originally only the RE-600). Will update tomorrow when I get the Re-400. 

Aug 21, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #111 of 301
Yu
I think those tips come with the RE-400s now (originally only the RE-600). Will update tomorrow when I get the Re-400. 

Yup ur right they come with the new shipments of re 400s i think i have those already. The bottom set i have for sure, the three on top i have thr bigger sizes.

I think someone mentioned this too thr new shipment comes with a carry case, to replace the winding stick.

Pretty solid case!

Sep 4, 2013 at 5:46 PM Post #113 of 301
  hi guys!

It's safe to order a Hifiman product trough eBay right? I think this user Head Director belongs to the official retailer of Hifiman products in the US. There are no fake ones at this earphones, right?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HiFiMAN-RE-400-High-Performance-New-In-ear-Headphone-Free-Shipping-to-US-/261165303760?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item3cceaa47d0

i would say its safe, their home is head-direct anyway, and the price is normal, plus this earphone isn't widely popular outside of audiophile or the head phone enthusiast circle

Sep 4, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #114 of 301
  hi guys!

It's safe to order a Hifiman product trough eBay right? I think this user Head Director belongs to the official retailer of Hifiman products in the US. There are no fake ones at this earphones, right?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HiFiMAN-RE-400-High-Performance-New-In-ear-Headphone-Free-Shipping-to-US-/261165303760?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item3cceaa47d0

Head-Direct is an authorized retailer for HiFiMan products, so you shouldn't get a fake one, unless that's an imposter account (I doubt it's an imposter account, doesn't hurt to make sure though; you can always email HiFiMan CS :wink:)

Sep 4, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #115 of 301
i would say its safe, their home is head-direct anyway, and the price is normal, plus this earphone isn't widely popular outside of audiophile or the head phone enthusiast circle

Why do you think it isnt popular outside of audiophiles and musicians? I hope it is not an earphone only suitable for monitoring, it is rather an earphone which makes listening to music a very nice, highly plesurable thing.

Sep 4, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #116 of 301
Why do you think it isnt popular outside of audiophiles and musicians? I hope it is not an earphone only suitable for monitoring, it is rather an earphone which makes listening to music a very nice, highly plesurable thing.

Because that's not HiFiMan's target audience.  It offers a slightly warm signature with good thick bass and musicality without sacrificing too much accuracy. 

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #118 of 301
But this description you made is just the dream of almost every music lovers. It is good for pros too because of the accuranncy but it mainly not for professional use. Right?

the post above basically explained what i was trying to say. Hi fi mans target audience isn't the general public, the general public honestly cant tell between mids and highs and sound stage. (not trying to be mean but its generally true) their obviously exceptions

but based on examples such as Beats studios, pros, solos, klipsch s4, skullcandy inked, smoking buds, soul by ludacris, sync by 50.

these are widely successful headphones/ earphones (profit wise) and they have what commonly referred to as " consumer oriented sound signature" bass, style, bass, style, some aggressive/harsh highs

and most consumers listen to their headphones while working out, walking around campus/work, and on the bus/public transit.--> to block out outside noise
the lack of bass boost on the re400s would not suffice for these conditions, and the laidback sound of the re400s would not "hype" up people during their workout. 

most people don't monitor with their headphones too, rarely do they sit on the couch or their chair to really enjoy music (obviously everything i said above can have exceptions)

personally i like it if hi fi man stays true to themselves (don't forget what made them well known) hopefully they won't regress to the bass bass bass in and effort to increase sales and profits (something all companies obviously want)

the re400s are a perfect example, watch the cnet review on them, one of the cons were "not enough bass". and during the entire review he struggled to even describe the magic produced by the re400s, except just saying its balanced. (thats not gonna get anyones attention honestly) TRANSPARENT would be a better word to describe the re400s.

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #119 of 301
also in addition i figured i shared what i saw today on campus, its the first week of school, there was a bunch of headphone booths, all major companies, skullcandy, senheiser, house of marley, bose. 

there was dj's blasting their music right next to the headphone demos.

how is anyone suppose to really listen to them? 

however i realized the purpose was really to sell on looks and the first thing they hear..... BASS and lots of it! notably i went to the skullcandy booth, no aviators, no navigators no mix masters, just hesh 2.0, their even lower grade on ears, and their new headphone "CRUSHER", which had some artificially bass that added a rumbling effect with a dial using 2 AAA batteries. 

needless to say the surrounding was too loud to really listen to them. but from the brief stint i had with them, that weird rumbling (their selling point) colors the sound far too much

they looked okay but they're definitely style over substance

Hifiman is the complete opposite
sound first, practically second, looks last.

but thats not to say the re400s look bad at all but their more a practical design more than anything, their looks are not their selling point like it is for most of skullcandy, beats headphones

sorry for my rant, but i figured since the topic was brought up i would spice it up a bit 

Sep 5, 2013 at 2:53 AM Post #120 of 301
First, thank you for sharing your experience detailed like that, It helped a lot to understand what it is all about nowadays. I have to say I haven't used an earphone that is above 100$ yet. Okay that this costs 100$ too, but it represents a higher quality, and you don't get a stuff like that for 100$ at the local plaza. The point is I don't know what to expect from these IEMs, because I have just a Sennheiser cx 400 II to compare with. But as you said clarity is one of the biggest virtue of this HiFiMan earphones so I don't have further worries. I hated added rumbling bass anyways at some earphones. If these stuff will provide clear bass, just the amount the creator of the music originally wanted I will be satisfied.

So my expectations are:
- clear music without any distortions
- it can reproduce wide range of sounds, but it is balanced
- high volume levels
- very high dynamics

From what you said, I think it will bring me all of the above.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back