HiFiMAN RE-400 Review
Aug 18, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #91 of 301
It seem that I have inadvertently pushed in one of the little black (foam?) protection pieces (at the end of RE400). Not much (about 1mm) ... and it doesn't affect the sound. Is this bad? Should I recover it with a needle? Can these be removed altogether?

Aug 18, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #92 of 301
Quote:
It seem that I have inadvertently pushed in one of the little black (foam?) protection pieces (at the end of RE400). Not much (about 1mm) ... and it doesn't affect the sound. Is this bad? Should I recover it with a needle? Can these be removed altogether?

do you mean the strain relief? the long rubber between the earpieces and the rubber cable?

Aug 18, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #93 of 301
Quote:
do you mean the strain relief? the long rubber between the earpieces and the rubber cable?

No, black circular thing on the end of the IEMs (actually is the tip of the IEMs) ... you have to take the rubber tips of to see it. It is probably some kind of protection. You can see it on the first picture of the first post in this thread (left IEM).

Aug 18, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #94 of 301
Quote:
No, black circular thing on the end of the IEMs (actually is the tip of the IEMs) ... you have to take the rubber tips of to see it. It is probably some kind of protection. You can see it on the first picture of the first post in this thread (left IEM).

The filter?  HiFiMAN sells replacements.  They are removeable and actually do tune the sound as well. 

Aug 18, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #95 of 301

The filters? U can easily replace them they come with like 4 pairs of extras. I believe they use adhesive to stick on

Aug 18, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #97 of 301
Has anyone tried removing the filters and the spongy material behind it at the tip? Wonder what it sounds like, I might try it tonight

Aug 19, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #98 of 301
I took the filters off including that spongy material behind it. The sound is less smooth and from memory sounds more like an RE0. The mids are brought forward a little bit more but the bass reduces slightly and sounds less warm. These are initial impressions after I've just had a beer so take it with a grain of salt. I'm going to try this for a while.

Aug 20, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #99 of 301
Quote:
O, I see them now ... thanks. I didn't pay much attention to contents of the box. Do any of you know any foam tips which are less expensive than comply?

i would not recommend any foam tips other than comply really.. comply's fantastic if you don't mind spending 15-20$ every 4-5 months. 

the second i would recommend is probably the shure olives (they don't fit the re400s though)

you could try some of those DIY foam earplugs from the hardware store... those work alright.. does not look neat at all or good at all but they're foam and they isolate alright. and are pretty comfortable. but imo they don't feel secure at all, a simple tug and they come off pretty easily

Aug 20, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #101 of 301
Quote:
hm, but do they last for 4 months? Let say 1 pair per 1 month? I usually discard foam earplugs after 3-5 uses.

which one are you referring to?

the 3 pairs of complys lasted me about 4-5 monthsish (1 pair was lasted 2 months, 1 pair lasted about about 1.5 months, the last one lasted only 1 month)--> i mostly listen to music on transit(bus, subway) so i compress them no more than 4-5 times a day)

i only used 3/5 pairs of the shures ( lasted me about 8 months?) about equal time each

the foam from department store i had only used 2 pairs ( lasted me about the same on average as the complys) but their so cheap its totally fine like 7 bucks u can get like 30 or so. but they do take some work in cutting and making a whole (takes like 10 minutes, fast imo)

Aug 20, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #102 of 301
Quote:
hm, but do they last for 4 months? Let say 1 pair per 1 month? I usually discard foam earplugs after 3-5 uses.

but any eartips changes the sound in some way so be wary it might change it too much for your liking

i used the eartips in the above post for my klipsch s4is

the complys tame the treble(less siblant) the bass pumps up a bit, smoother

the shures pump up the bass more than the complys, the sound becomes faster and more aggessive

as far as i can tell if you don't basically minimal changes at all (your current eartips change the sound a bit too)

the foams from department stores are probably the way to go ( they fit around the nozzle and the when they expand depending on the user)---> if anything there is a slight tone down in bass and treble because it disipates from the resulting foam-- > not sure if this makes sense--> lemme noe 

the above foams (shures and complys have different plastic barrels that mount on the nozzle) different plastic and filters can alter the sound quite a bit

but the department foams (DIY) is worth a try! its cheap and u can always use the remaining ones for studying or w/e 

Aug 20, 2013 at 5:20 PM Post #103 of 301
Quote:

the 3 pairs of complys lasted me about 4-5 monthsish (1 pair was lasted 2 months, 1 pair lasted about about 1.5 months, the last one lasted only 1 month)--> i mostly listen to music on transit(bus, subway) so i compress them no more than 4-5 times a day)

hm, that should be fine. I use IEMs just a few times a week.

Aug 21, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #104 of 301
As a point of information, I'm using the Comply T-500 with these, not the recommended T-400. The fit is still good onto the phones, not loose at all. Handy if you've got some hanging around, as I did.

I find the music a bit more engaging over the stock large double flanges. More comfortable too!

BZ

Aug 21, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #105 of 301
None of stock ones are particulary comfortable to me. The small ones are to small, and the other two sizes have a bit to much pressure. Smaller double-flanges have best sound for me, but I strugle to get a good seal. I am used to foam earplugs, so I will try comply ... it looks like these will do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back