HiFiMAN RE-400 Review
Sep 5, 2013 at 5:54 AM Post #121 of 301
The bass is not thick in the RE400s far from it IMO

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #123 of 301
  First, thank you for sharing your experience detailed like that, It helped a lot to understand what it is all about nowadays. I have to say I haven't used an earphone that is above 100$ yet. Okay that this costs 100$ too, but it represents a higher quality, and you don't get a stuff like that for 100$ at the local plaza. The point is I don't know what to expect from these IEMs, because I have just a Sennheiser cx 400 II to compare with. But as you said clarity is one of the biggest virtue of this HiFiMan earphones so I don't have further worries. I hated added rumbling bass anyways at some earphones. If these stuff will provide clear bass, just the amount the creator of the music originally wanted I will be satisfied.

So my expectations are:
- clear music without any distortions
- it can reproduce wide range of sounds, but it is balanced
- high volume levels
- very high dynamics

From what you said, I think it will bring me all of the above.

Sounds like the perfect headphone for you. Word of warning, i came from bassy earphones like most people. (klipsch s4, philips she 90, various other sub 10$ earbuds) so i found their bass to be lacking initially. Now i love it, the midbass is just slightly warmer than neutral, so its not like the re0s which are perfectly flat in their bass. ( good to appeal to more ppl, and i would think its fine for most ppl).

I find their control to be their most appealing aspect, their so precise, and the soundstage is just enough so u wont have to focus hard to hear everything.( any wider i would think some precision is lost).

Their treble is so delicate ane non siblant, extends pretty far without harshness, doesnt seem laidback compare to the rest of the sound spectrum.

The mids wow, vocals were superb. Its dry, and you hear background vocals harmonizing so well. But without overshadowing the main vocalists. Its not as liquid compare something like the klipsch x7. But its perfect in its own way.

The bass as stated before seems understated compare to todays cans. But its medium pace, not agressive but not slow( swampy or muggy feeling). Its decay is about medium ( i dislike the word average to describe it, it ruins its appeal). So its verstatile for any genre

Review was longer than expected but this iem deserves it and more

So my expectations are:
- high volume levels
- very high dynamics

Sep 5, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #124 of 301
  First, thank you for sharing your experience detailed like that, It helped a lot to understand what it is all about nowadays. I have to say I haven't used an earphone that is above 100$ yet. Okay that this costs 100$ too, but it represents a higher quality, and you don't get a stuff like that for 100$ at the local plaza. The point is I don't know what to expect from these IEMs, because I have just a Sennheiser cx 400 II to compare with. But as you said clarity is one of the biggest virtue of this HiFiMan earphones so I don't have further worries. I hated added rumbling bass anyways at some earphones. If these stuff will provide clear bass, just the amount the creator of the music originally wanted I will be satisfied.

So my expectations are:
- high volume levels
- very high dynamics

i dunno about using these at high volume levels, i think they require more juice than most iems, but i think they work fine at moderate volumes, not sure if they distort once you give them anymore more volume than that.. personally i think your safer with listening to them at moderate levels, they isolate well for me, and you won't wreck your hearing. (cant enjoy this hobby for very long)

Sep 5, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #125 of 301
The biggest change will be the bass amounts and it will be very different so some time to adjust is needed. I first came from the cx300 and got a er6i which will be a similar change. I never turned back buy the re400 sounds like what you want

Sep 5, 2013 at 9:49 PM Post #126 of 301
I ordered a set of these today from the hifiman website (Head Direct). Hopefully, I will get them early next week. They will be supplementing/replacing my Monster Miles Davis Trumpets, which I like very much. But, my wife has hijacked them.:rolleyes:.

Last year I began looking for a set of iems to supplement/replace my Shure 840's which were, you guessed it, hijacked by my wife. :xf_eek:. Back then, one of the iems I was researching was the hifiman re zero among others. I put that purchase off because I was gifted the Trumpets by my kids. I like the iems better than over the ears mostly because of the comfort. I plan to use these with my Samsung s4 phone, no amplifiying..

I think my only concern with these will be the in ear fit. The tips look real similar to some cheap ones that I have/tried that would not stay in my ears. Kept wanting to fall out. Hope these will fit better.

Frank

Sep 6, 2013 at 8:15 AM Post #128 of 301
I ordered a set of these today from the hifiman website (Head Direct). Hopefully, I will get them early next week. They will be supplementing/replacing my Monster Miles Davis Trumpets, which I like very much. But, my wife has hijacked them.:rolleyes:.
Last year I began looking for a set of iems to supplement/replace my Shure 840's which were, you guessed it, hijacked by my wife. :xf_eek:. Back then, one of the iems I was researching was the hifiman re zeroamong others. I put that purchase off because I was gifted the Trumpets bymy kids. I like the iems better than over the ears mostly because of the comfort. I plan to use these with my Samsung s4 phone, no
amplifiying..

I think my only concern with these will be the in ear fit. The tips look real similar to some cheap ones that I have/tried that would not stay in my ears. Kept wanting to fall out. Hope these will fit better.
Frank

Hey frank if anything save those monster supertips for the re 400s . The re 400s are really small, i was surprised how small they were when opened it. But i found the stock tips ( the ones already installed) fit me fine.
U can play with insertion depth, farther in increases the bass but reduces sound stage.
I tried farther out and angling them upwards ( i use the over ear method) to be perfect, wider soundstage, more airy sound. Without overdoing the bass from deep insertion.

I did notice the strain relief on the re400s looks like its coming off a bit( the glue looks like its popping out) but it hasnt come off anymore than before) but i baby my favorite things ( re400 is my absolute favorite so far).

I tried with sony hybrids too they fit , changes sound a bit. So beware
Al

Sep 7, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #131 of 301
I have just got the Shure SE-215. RE-400 were bought blindly, and the character is just to lean/dry for me. For me Shure is different in a way that it suits me better. However I do use EQ (about -2/-3 db) for bass heavier music like Marley remasters. It works well, on the other hand lifting bass on RE-400 didn't work. It could also be that Shure tips are better for my ears. The only tip which can make a good seal on RE-400 are big double flanges. And the only thing I prefer on Hifimans is its form factor ... they are small and I could even sleep wearing them (if I could find more comfortable tips).

Sep 7, 2013 at 3:45 PM Post #132 of 301
  I have just got the Shure SE-215. RE-400 were bought blindly, and the character is just to lean/dry for me. For me Shure is different in a way that it suits me better. However I do use EQ (about -2/-3 db) for bass heavier music like Marley remasters. It works well, on the other hand lifting bass on RE-400 didn't work. It could also be that Shure tips are better for my ears. The only tip which can make a good seal on RE-400 are big double flanges. And the only thing I prefer on Hifimans is its form factor ... they are small and I could even sleep wearing them (if I could find more comfortable tips).

I sold my SE215s, it was way too bassy for me. With the right music I can see where the SE215s would work. They're two totally different sounds. Its much easier to get a seal on the shures as they require you to wear them over the ears. I couldn't wear the RE400s over the ears as they kept falling off. The shures have the wire guided support.

Anyone know how to wear the RE400s over the ears without it constantly falling off?

Sep 7, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #133 of 301
Anyone know how to wear the RE400s over the ears without it constantly falling off?

I am wearing them like that without problem. Seal with large biflange tips is so tight I sometimes strip the tips of the iems when pulling the out from ears.
Yes, SE215 are a bit to bassy for me also, but are easy to EQ.
Does anyone know any iems similar to SE215, with a bit less bass?

Sep 7, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #134 of 301
I am wearing them like that without problem. Seal with large biflange tips is so tight I sometimes strip the tips of the iems when pulling the out from ears.
Yes, SE215 are a bit to bassy for me also, but are easy to EQ.
Does anyone know any iems similar to SE215, with a bit less bass?
Sorry I meant to say the cable keeps falling off my ears. Maybe I need some ear guides

Users who are viewing this thread

Back