HiFiMAN RE-400 Review
Jun 21, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #62 of 301
Been subscribing to this thread for a while and decided to ask,recently I'm looking for an upgrade and I've come down between the re 400 and the rockit r50.I listen to a lot of genre but mostly jpop or jrock.coming from vsonic r04pro,which iem would you recommend?any other iem recommendation at 100-150 price point are welcome

Jun 22, 2013 at 10:47 AM Post #63 of 301
Quote:
Been subscribing to this thread for a while and decided to ask,recently I'm looking for an upgrade and I've come down between the re 400 and the rockit r50.I listen to a lot of genre but mostly jpop or jrock.coming from vsonic r04pro,which iem would you recommend?any other iem recommendation at 100-150 price point are welcome

well it depends no what your want from something new.  what isolation, as they differ there quite a bit. the other area is the low end.  the 400 feels fuller in a way BA stuff never really does.  if your coming from the gr04 then id say the 400 is going to be more similar is acoustic signature to what you have. dont know if you want similarish to whta you got or for something more different.

Jun 22, 2013 at 11:39 PM Post #64 of 301
well it depends no what your want from something new.  what isolation, as they differ there quite a bit. the other area is the low end.  the 400 feels fuller in a way BA stuff never really does.  if your coming from the gr04 then id say the 400 is going to be more similar is acoustic signature to what you have. dont know if you want similarish to whta you got or for something more different.

Thanks a lot for the reply mate,I like the sound sig of r04,but I find them lacking in clarity,if the 400 has the same signature,I would still be pleased.But considering the sound sig alone,would you rank the 400 on par or above the r50?

Jun 23, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #65 of 301
well its not exactly the same signature but the 400 is rather closer than the r50 is. 

i assume you meant ignoring the sound sig would i rank the 400 on par with the r50?

well of the two, on sound quality alone the wins 400 wins.  its a fairly comfortable win too.  the 50 though isolates much better, has no hint of air pressure issue that the closed dynamic 400 can.  i mean if i had to own 1 of them and that was the only IEM i would have, id pick the R50 because its isolation means you can so much more focus on the music and not on the outside world.  the 400 just sounds the better of the two, more vibrant, alive and dynamic and uber bonus that its sooooooooooooo cheap. 

the RE-400 like the RE-0 before it is an IEM every prospective audiophile should own.  simple as that.

Jun 23, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #66 of 301
well its not exactly the same signature but the 400 is rather closer than the r50 is. 

i assume you meant ignoring the sound sig would i rank the 400 on par with the r50?

well of the two, on sound quality alone the wins 400 wins.  its a fairly comfortable win too.  the 50 though isolates much better, has no hint of air pressure issue that the closed dynamic 400 can.  i mean if i had to own 1 of them and that was the only IEM i would have, id pick the R50 because its isolation means you can so much more focus on the music and not on the outside world.  the 400 just sounds the better of the two, more vibrant, alive and dynamic and uber bonus that its sooooooooooooo cheap. 

the RE-400 like the RE-0 before it is an IEM every prospective audiophile should own.  simple as that.

I usually use iem while working,so the 400 seems to fit my requirements better and when you put it that way,the 400 seems to be a must-have iem. Other than that,the build quality of the r50 worries me as some users seemed to complain about it and the $25 for shipping it back for repair to me is quite a deal breaker.I think I've found the iem I'm looking for and will pull the trigger on the 400.thanks for the replies mark,sure is helpful for newbies like me.

Jun 23, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #67 of 301
Quote:
So I've had the 400's for over a week now.    The only supplied tips that work for me are the large bi-flanges but I wish they came in a medium size, then they would be perfect, but even though they're too big, I can manage, with much manipulation, to get them into my ears.   Once in, they sound great, but they definitely feel a bit too large so I got some Sony Hybrids along with some Comply T-400's to try out.   The medium Sony's fit, but they just didn't sound right.   It seemed that the upper mids through the top end was attenuated and the only thing I could think that was causing this was the smaller opening at the tip as compared to the large bi-flanges that came with the 400's.........so, Sony's were out. 

Next I tried the T-400's.   The mediums fit really well, but while they didn't attenuate the upper mids, the definitely attenuated the top end.    I saw the vid that was posted up over at InnerFidelity and applied that technique, but it still really cut off the top end.   The 400's are already on the warm side, so this is not going to work for me.

I've heard that the TS-400's may be just the ticket since it's been reported that they have the least affect on sound performance as compared to the T-400's.    Thoughts?   I haven't tried them yet but wanted to get a bit of input first.

I really want to get the performance that I get out of the stock large bi-flanges, but just want them to be a bit more comfortable without changing the sound sig of the 400's.

I am rocking mine with the comply TX400.....super combo for me....and really comfy....sorry that it does not work for you.

Jun 24, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #69 of 301
Quote:
I usually use iem while working,so the 400 seems to fit my requirements better and when you put it that way,the 400 seems to be a must-have iem. Other than that,the build quality of the r50 worries me as some users seemed to complain about it and the $25 for shipping it back for repair to me is quite a deal breaker.I think I've found the iem I'm looking for and will pull the trigger on the 400.thanks for the replies mark,sure is helpful for newbies like me.

your welcome, glad to have assisted

Jun 24, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #71 of 301
I  have a problem right now, Currently I have a pair of Brainwavez B2's on order and I'm considering cancelling those to get myself a pair of RE-400 but I'm not quite sure that this is the best decision.
I've been going on and on about what IEM's I wanna get and I can't seem to decide.

Jun 24, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #72 of 301
Ya know how with most things, you get tired of them after awhile.

Well, not these little babies.    Every time I put them on, I discover something new in songs that I've never heard before.    It's like an adventure every time I stuff them in my ears.   So much fun. 

Jun 24, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #73 of 301
Everything gets old... Even naked women, fast cars, bourbon and cigars. I can imagine that these will remain a reliable medium for my music though.

Jun 24, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #75 of 301
Haha, I'm saying the earphones will get old too. But they'll remain reliable. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back