HiFiMAN RE-272 Review
May 17, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #466 of 489
  Yup, I'm reviving this thread hoping to conjure up a response or two. Despite that this phone may be damn near impossible to find now, I'm very interested in it because I love my 262. I don't just love the sound signature, but the timbre and soundstage as well. I've read through this entire thread leaving me with an impression that the 272 and 262 are similar sounding, regardless of them emphasizing opposing sides of the frequency spectrum. My main question is, will these phones be too revealing for music that isn't immaculately produced? I'm referring mostly to music that isn't classical, jazz or perhaps old rock. Granted, my music will still be in the highest format it can be, but most of it is modern and has modern sounding production behind it. I listen to a wide variety of music and the genres I would be using with the 272 are variations of metal(fast paced), folk(female vocals) and probably ambient(electronic). I don't mind a bright sound(coming from CK10), but I am sensitive to sibilance and frequency spikes. Ultimately, I sold the CK10, although I only used it for electronic music which, even then, was a bit too "spikey." There was no chance in hell I would listen to that thing with vocals. As another reference, I found the Vsonic VC1000 to be ok sibilance wise. I sold that one for other reasons. I'm currently under the impression that the 272 will be bright and airy but with the same smoothness and soundstaging of the 262. Fingers crossed they won't be too sibilant.

Hard to tell since everyone is different but the 272 aren't sibilant to me and they are bright and airy; smooth for its kind of sound sig too. But I feel there will be better options out there now for you to purchase.

May 17, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #467 of 489

Hard to tell since everyone is different but the 272 aren't sibilant to me and they are bright and airy; smooth for its kind of sound sig too. But I feel there will be better options out there now for you to purchase.

what would be better?  i cant think of anything that can top the detail retrieval of the 272.

personally id say they are too revieling at times, they arent very subtle but they could still be wourth a try for you if you can grab a set, they are somuthing special so id say if you get to keep on te them.

May 17, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #468 of 489
I probably would've just gone with the ER4S if they didn't require multi-flange tips. The only other IEM on my radar for similar purposes is the GR10/e. Might try the GR8e if I find one at a good price too, I read it's good for rock genres.

May 18, 2016 at 2:50 AM Post #469 of 489
  I probably would've just gone with the ER4S if they didn't require multi-flange tips. The only other IEM on my radar for similar purposes is the GR10/e. Might try the GR8e if I find one at a good price too, I read it's good for rock genres.

erm, they dont.

personally i lothe those triple flange tips, they are ear rape if ever there was.  small shure olives work perfectly on the ER4 and they isolate stupidly well

May 18, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #470 of 489
Haven't tried the Olives, but I'm not really a fan of foam tips either. The ones that I've tried(Comply and Westone, maybe an off-brand too) tend to irritate a bit. Silicone is the way to go! I almost gave up on the fit for my 262 until Spiral Dots showed me the way.

May 19, 2016 at 6:41 AM Post #473 of 489
  Haven't tried the Olives, but I'm not really a fan of foam tips either. The ones that I've tried(Comply and Westone, maybe an off-brand too) tend to irritate a bit. Silicone is the way to go! I almost gave up on the fit for my 262 until Spiral Dots showed me the way.

well tips can be very personal, what works for me doesnt mean soemthing will work for you, jsut worth a try if you have them though.

May 19, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #474 of 489

what would be better?  i cant think of anything that can top the detail retrieval of the 272.

personally id say they are too revieling at times, they arent very subtle but they could still be wourth a try for you if you can grab a set, they are somuthing special so id say if you get to keep on te them.

You and me, Mark.

Just pulled it out of the drawer and gave it a listen, and it still moves me as much as it doid all those years ago. What a shame it was discontinued so early.

May 19, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #475 of 489

You and me, Mark.

Just pulled it out of the drawer and gave it a listen, and it still moves me as much as it doid all those years ago. What a shame it was discontinued so early.

i absolutly agree.  if was them id bring back the 0, 252, 262 adn the 272.  i mean i dont know any of their production costs and what not but hey were all so incredible.  not that the 400 and 600 are bad in anyway but they are not replacements, they are compliments to the older stuff.

May 19, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #476 of 489
  i absolutly agree.  if was them id bring back the 0, 252, 262 adn the 272.  i mean i dont know any of their production costs and what not but hey were all so incredible.  not that the 400 and 600 are bad in anyway but they are not replacements, they are compliments to the older stuff.

Hope you get to listen to RE1000 some days - now that's a worthy successor to the early series (*more to the RE262 side though).

May 19, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #478 of 489
I still listen to my RE-272's from time to time and I don't think I'd ever be able to sell them. They are the most effortless headphones/IEMs I've ever heard, that's compared to stuff like the PX100-II/RE-262/HD600/HE-560. The only thing is that I wish they'd have is 3-6dB more bass energy because switching to them I always need to adjust to the signature. After my mind adjusts the bass is all there, I'm using foamies and wear them over my ear.

May 19, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #479 of 489
If anyone wants try their phones balanced with the HM-801 I'm selling the player and card for what I feel is good price. It has some of the best bass I've heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back