HiFiMAN RE-272 Review
Nov 29, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #436 of 489
btw , the ortofon stock tips work wonders with the 272

my go-to tips , hands down.

Nov 30, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #437 of 489

one does not sell a 272 so easily
tongue.gif

One does not for sure especially since it's so rare! haha

oh sure ill grant for texture and impact its just not got the body behind it.  it would be like the most accurate wire frame drawing of soemthing.  the detail is there and its tachnically hyper accurate but its bass is soulless.

extension is sorta there, its just so lacking in body, its got no potency to it.

I figured your response would be something like this haha. As I was writing that, I remember thinking, "Well I guess it depends on how one defines detail in bass here I suppose." which was why I mentioned the IMO part at the end!

Nov 30, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #439 of 489
i like my J3 + arrow amp , and Tuesday i am getting the DX90

i can not wait to see the total sound improvement , everyone says that the dx90 is a big upgrade over the J3

Nov 30, 2014 at 2:23 PM Post #440 of 489
  i like my J3 + arrow amp , and Tuesday i am getting the DX90

i can not wait to see the total sound improvement , everyone says that the dx90 is a big upgrade over the J3

Hmmm my personal opinion when I had a chance to go through some real expensive portable DACs was that universal IEMs were not capable of scaling enough to justify buying them. The case may be different for CIEMs but I've not tried them with CIEMs unfortunately. Same applied for FLAC files vs 320kbps for me too. Can't reeaally differentiate FLAC and 320kbp through the RE272 assuming the original file is of a decent quality. But I think the appreciation for better source also depends on the type of music you listen to!

That said, congrats on your new purchase and I hope you enjoy it LOL!

Nov 30, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #441 of 489
thanx , btw if you have some money around for a xmas gift, get the re600 for just 199$

its sound makes a very nice combo with the 272

Nov 30, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #443 of 489

One does not for sure especially since it's so rare! haha

I figured your response would be something like this haha. As I was writing that, I remember thinking, "Well I guess it depends on how one defines detail in bass here I suppose." which was why I mentioned the IMO part at the end!

beerchug.gif

Nov 30, 2014 at 8:33 PM Post #444 of 489
these damn re-272 make even my re-600 sound kinda bloated and with small bumps along the sonic spectrum - and they are supposed to be 'flat' (or so most people who own the re600 say)
eek.gif

I am listening to some Porcupine Tree from good vinyl rips and they sound unbelievably good , regarding their flat/neutral tonality
beerchug.gif

the way i am hearing them , the 272 seem to have a more laid out/flat sound with more edged out soundstage both left and right , whereas the re600 seems to peak in the center of the sonic soundstage (the re600 mids are more forward and this creates an illusion of centered-sound image)

i think that for now , the 272 is still the best iem created from hifiman - this is a very interesting comparison , well done Hifiman !

Dec 1, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #445 of 489
  these damn re-272 make even my re-600 sound kinda bloated and with small bumps along the sonic spectrum - and they are supposed to be 'flat' (or so most people who own the re600 say)
eek.gif

I am listening to some Porcupine Tree from good vinyl rips and they sound unbelievably good , regarding their flat/neutral tonality
beerchug.gif

the way i am hearing them , the 272 seem to have a more laid out/flat sound with more edged out soundstage both left and right , whereas the re600 seems to peak in the center of the sonic soundstage (the re600 mids are more forward and this creates an illusion of centered-sound image)

i think that for now , the 272 is still the best iem created from hifiman - this is a very interesting comparison , well done Hifiman !

The truth is RE272 are closer to reference and reference sounds are those that grow on you the more you hear them because they express music the way it was recorded more accurately than their counterparts IMO.

Honestly, the RE272 does not really lack quantity of bass although they can benefit from a pinch more in my view because we all love a touch more bass right? haha. It's just that with universal IEMs, in my experience, they usually have hard time expressing great quality of bass (impact, texture, layering, rumble, extension etc)  without the quantity.

Dec 13, 2014 at 9:21 AM Post #446 of 489
best sub250$ neutral/detailed iem ever ?

Dec 17, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #448 of 489
RE-272 makes a great combo with my DX90 - in fact i prefer it to the RE-600 - this iem is a marvel

btw , has anyone who had the RE272 went on to get the Noble 4 ? Impressions/Comparisons ?

I would really like to hear your thoughts on these 2 iems

Dec 17, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #449 of 489
  RE-272 makes a great combo with my DX90 - in fact i prefer it to the RE-600 - this iem is a marvel

btw , has anyone who had the RE272 went on to get the Noble 4 ? Impressions/Comparisons ?

I would really like to hear your thoughts on these 2 iems

esanthosh had the RE272 and later the Noble 4C. His excellent RE272 review was posted here on Head-fi quite a while back.

He did post a random initial thought on the RE272 and Noble4C on another forum

Quote:
Very early days to write anything in detail about the sound. My first words that popped into my head was 'Hifiman sound'.

If you are looking for 'excitement' in bass, guess you should look elsewhere. Bass is not great in quantity, but it does not make sacrifices like RE272 or SE535 and does not feel lacking in sub-bass like RE-400. The low end is neither anemic nor prominent - clean and let's say 'healthy' and natural, not just plenty. It loses out a bit in the lowest regions though. The rumble is 'felt' a slight bit, but not head 'drilling' like it can be with some dynamic IEMs.

Dec 28, 2014 at 10:37 AM Post #450 of 489
Hello,

Is anybody can compare re272 with the um mage?

im listening rock music, classic music, instrumental music (guitar, piano, zither, oud etc.) and rarely metal music.

Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back