HiFiMAN RE-272 Review
Nov 21, 2014 at 12:49 PM Post #421 of 489
I find 272 a bit lack of good body. I mean its sound.. Apart from this, it is really exceptional.

I personally think the "good body" criticism is only valid with poor recordings. Now if these had better bass extension, better bass texture and details, a tad more transparent mids and lastly, an element of air in the sound to add to the sense of realism, it could be my end game IEM but then, I'm basically asking for HE500/HE400 sound in an IEM haha

Nov 21, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #422 of 489

I have to say I put up those up there to see whether they get some attention (and they deserve to do because they really are amazing). I'm considering "upgrading" to the FX850 although I am not sure whether they will be an upgrade. Honestly, with a decent source and well recorded audio in at least 320kbp, these RE272 really does so much for the price I'm asking for. I mean, even compared to my modded HE400, it does not lose out on so much.

judging by what people say the 850 is more fun sounding and a bass monster - i decided to go for the re600 as an alternative signature to the 272 , but , to be honest the 272 is really a great iem and for 160$ - i don't see many (if anyone) iem i would prefer over it.

i have 2 pairs of the 272 , otherwise i would have jumped already on your pair.

Nov 23, 2014 at 8:07 AM Post #423 of 489
hmm, prefer, id prefer quite a lot of stuff over the 272.  i mean the 272 is one of the vory best IEM's ever but its light and bright sound isnt much to my tastes. 

for $160 though there wont be anything that can touch it for detail, hell there probably isnt anything that can touch it for detail at any price.

Nov 23, 2014 at 8:30 AM Post #424 of 489
I've gotten used to my RE-272 so much that I'm unable to listen to anything else without finding it sounding to warm or too bloated. The RE-272 made me a treble head or more of a detail head. That doesn't mean I like to always listen to them in a analytical way but I love to be able to hear all the little details in the recording. Especially artists that make noises which weren't filtered out in mastering or just random sounds in the recording. It makes the music less sterile in a way.

Nov 23, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #425 of 489
the 272 is a detail king (some say it surpasses the legendary ER4S) but it is not a cold/sterile iem

the bass is kinda lacking , but the mids are wonderful and the highs are sibilance-free (and i don't know how they achieve such detail retrieval with zero sibilance...)

i have said it many times and i will say it again , they have been my go-to iem for these last 3 years - even now getting the much more expensive (and labeled as the Hifiman flagship) RE-600 , i am still dividing my time between these 2 iems

they say that RE-600 is a versatile iem (and it is) but i find the re-272 sa much versatile if not more (for 'fast' rock music i always use the 272)

i am very happy i came across it , and even more happier that i had the sanity to buy a 2nd pair as a backup
biggrin.gif

some day (when money comes) i will probably get a JH13 , but i will never forget how well my beloved 272 served my sonic/musical needs

Nov 23, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #426 of 489
Quote:
  the 272 is a detail king (some say it surpasses the legendary ER4S) but it is not a cold/sterile iem

the bass is kinda lacking , but the mids are wonderful and the highs are sibilance-free (and i don't know how they achieve such detail retrieval with zero sibilance...)

This.
Also, never fatiguing. Like a graceful perfectionist.

Nov 28, 2014 at 9:34 AM Post #427 of 489
there is a used pair of 272 for sale as we speak , great price and i thought i should share the link , them being discontinued and all (and i am not associated with the seller at any level)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/743134/wts-hifiman-re272-uk

Nov 29, 2014 at 6:08 AM Post #428 of 489
  hmm, prefer, id prefer quite a lot of stuff over the 272.  i mean the 272 is one of the vory best IEM's ever but its light and bright sound isnt much to my tastes. 

for $160 though there wont be anything that can touch it for detail, hell there probably isnt anything that can touch it for detail at any price.

Being extremely strict, they don't express the most detail when it comes to the bass department.

However, regarding the details they express in mids, they are more detailed than my HE400 which is an amazing feat in my opinion. Having said that, I've come to appreciate transparency/timbre over pure detail over the years.

Nov 29, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #429 of 489
  there is a used pair of 272 for sale as we speak , great price and i thought i should share the link , them being discontinued and all (and i am not associated with the seller at any level)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/743134/wts-hifiman-re272-uk

Thanks for the free bumps man. Really appreciate it. However, I decided to hold onto them for at least a month more!

Nov 29, 2014 at 6:16 AM Post #430 of 489

Being extremely strict, they don't express the most detail when it comes to the bass department.

However, regarding the details they express in mids, they are more detailed than my HE400 which is an amazing feat in my opinion. Having said that, I've come to appreciate transparency/timbre over pure detail over the years.

i disagree, strongly.

i will grant they are more subtle about the lows as they clearly are not centre stage, they are quantitatively rather less than the mids and highs.  however the detail and articulation its stellar.

Nov 29, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #431 of 489

i disagree, strongly.

i will grant they are more subtle about the lows as they clearly are not centre stage, they are quantitatively rather less than the mids and highs.  however the detail and articulation its stellar.

Well, compared to other IEMs, maybe. But I set my benchmarks on the best I've heard which is the HE400 bass.

The RE272 lacks extension, texture, impact and just overall transparency in the bass and all of this relates to detail in the bass department IMO (perhaps impact not much so though).

Nov 29, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #432 of 489
  Thanks for the free bumps man. Really appreciate it. However, I decided to hold onto them for at least a month more!

one does not sell a 272 so easily
tongue.gif

Nov 29, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #433 of 489
oh sure ill grant for texture and impact its just not got the body behind it.  it would be like the most accurate wire frame drawing of soemthing.  the detail is there and its tachnically hyper accurate but its bass is soulless.

extension is sorta there, its just so lacking in body, its got no potency to it.

Nov 29, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #434 of 489
the 272 bass is anemic , i use the bass boost on my arrow amp to beef it up a notch

mids are great , highs are even more so but the bass region yeah it is kinda undernourished

then again if it had say the re600 bass, we would probably have the perfect iem that does not cost a hand and a leg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back