HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones
Mar 8, 2012 at 5:49 AM Post #1,576 of 1,779

Quote:
Finished my comparison of Audez'e pads along with STAX 007 mkii for the HE-6.  I still need to test these on HE-500 but for he HE-6 results are better than the STAX pads and they are also cheaper! 

Thank you for your impressions and pictures! 

Waiting for the HE-500 impressions, please.

Mar 9, 2012 at 2:57 AM Post #1,578 of 1,779
Okay, just ordered a pair of HE-6s, but now I'm second guessing myself. For day-to-day use, which would you have, HE-6s or HE-500s? I have a couple amps that can handle them well, so that's not an issue.

Mar 9, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #1,580 of 1,779
Yeah, I'm going through with it. I have to hear them to find out. Can't wait to see how they do with "The Beast".

Mar 24, 2012 at 2:33 PM Post #1,581 of 1,779
Ok my shoddy quieter left driver was replaced. I was sad to find out that now I got a clearly louder one! I have to reduce left channel volume about 20% to get balanced.

The new driver measures at 55 ohms?? I've been burning it for 60 hours so far, no change. I'll try burning the recommended 100 hours before returning it again..

Mar 24, 2012 at 2:49 PM Post #1,582 of 1,779
Maybe you can try to match the impedances of the two drivers by adding a resistor to the driver with the lower impedance. It might require some wiring and soldering skill, though.

Mar 24, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #1,583 of 1,779
Never mind, for some reason I didn't notice that the new cable I got has channels wrong (red dot is left..).

So my problem is still the same as originally, left channel is weaker.. Using Foobar2k/MatrixMixer I have to drop right volume to 0.75 for balanced sound (also compared to my KH-K1000 which is fine by default). I doubt more burning can correct the volumes but we'll see.

Mar 24, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #1,584 of 1,779
That sounds very weird.

Can your multimeter measure AC voltage? If it can, try measuring the voltage of a 60Hz test tone on both channels. This should be the same.

Mar 24, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #1,585 of 1,779

Quote:
That sounds very weird.
Can your multimeter measure AC voltage? If it can, try measuring the voltage of a 60Hz test tone on both channels. This should be the same.

Ok I happened to found openable extension cable for easy testing.. 60Hz test tone at full volume (O2 at 2.5x gain btw) measured 2.4 volts exactly for both channels.

edit: and I can confirm that the balance is off with that test tone also..

edit2: when "balanced", I get 1.7v right, 2.4v left

edit3: I guess I should have opted to change to other driver also, since it was offered.. but I thought why change something working, doh. I guess it's possible that newer drivers are some other batch. Someone here was wondering why his drivers measured both ~52ohms.

edit4: my distributor promised to take them back and make sure they have matching drivers

Mar 25, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #1,586 of 1,779

Quote:
Never mind, for some reason I didn't notice that the new cable I got has channels wrong (red dot is left..).

So my problem is still the same as originally, left channel is weaker.. Using Foobar2k/MatrixMixer I have to drop right volume to 0.75 for balanced sound (also compared to my KH-K1000 which is fine by default). I doubt more burning can correct the volumes but we'll see.

I was just reading a review a few days earlier where they had 4 HifiMAN headphones to review.  The review was a bit old because it was when the HE-5 was out and the HE-5LE was starting to ramp up.  However, the review indicated that 3 of the 4 pair of headphones were wired out of phase.  Is this horrible QC on the behalf of HifiMAN?  That review makes me want to review mine that much closer now.

If you've received a new driver and the sound is still "off" with some burn-in time, have you: 1) Considered using another source to see how the balance fares?  Or, 2) Request a new "pair" of drivers from HifiMAN so they will be better matched as far as use and burn-in time are concerned.

Apr 3, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #1,587 of 1,779
Hey guys!
Which balanced cable should I get to pair my He-500s with a NFB-10SE?

I'm leaning towards HiFiMan's OCC balanced cable ($150), but if there was something better at the same price point, it would be awesome.

What do you suggest?
Should I go with a Blue dragon, the HiFiMan's, or others?
There are just to many options.. hahaha
Keep it in mind, though, that I wouldn't like to spend much more than $200, unless it posed a reeeal gain in SQ.

Thanks!
Stefano

Apr 4, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #1,588 of 1,779
For what it is worth I like my Q Cable and Norse Norn.  I'm a big fan of the Litz copper configuration with the orthos.  At $200 you wouldn't be able to get a 10-foot cable but something a little shorter.

Quote:
Hey guys!
Which balanced cable should I get to pair my He-500s with a NFB-10SE?

I'm leaning towards HiFiMan's OCC balanced cable ($150), but if there was something better at the same price point, it would be awesome.

What do you suggest?
Should I go with a Blue dragon, the HiFiMan's, or others?
There are just to many options.. hahaha
Keep it in mind, though, that I wouldn't like to spend much more than $200, unless it posed a reeeal gain in SQ.

Thanks!
Stefano

Apr 4, 2012 at 12:34 PM Post #1,589 of 1,779
How would Audio-GD C2.2 or higher NFB-Models work with the HE-500?
I am also considering Corda Jazz from Dr.Meier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back