HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones
Mar 1, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #1,531 of 1,779
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Mar 2, 2012 at 6:02 AM Post #1,535 of 1,779
well thats the only one that came to my mind...because by the looks they all look the same..and price for sure..and 1 more the HE-500 is much more "Fun" headphone...

anything else?hmmmm

Quote:
Only?   They are harder to driver for sure, but I'm not sure that's the only reason to prefer the HE500. 

Mar 2, 2012 at 6:09 AM Post #1,536 of 1,779
well thats the only one that came to my mind...because by the looks they all look the same..and price for sure..and 1 more the HE-500 is much more "Fun" headphone...

anything else?hmmmm

From what I've heard they have quite a different sound signature, so I think the biggest factor (other than the high barrier to entry) is the difference in sound signature. All boils down to preference in the end.

Mar 2, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #1,537 of 1,779
I have both (HE-6 and HE-500) and enjoy both very much. Bang for buck, the HE-500 is fantastic - especially with a Silver Dragon 
wink_face.gif
. When it comes to detail and sound stage, HE-6 wins hands down (driven by Lyr). Because of the 'brighter' sonic signature, HE-6 really benefits from a good copper litz Q cable. 

Quote:
From what I've heard they have quite a different sound signature, so I think the biggest factor (other than the high barrier to entry) is the difference in sound signature. All boils down to preference in the end.

Mar 3, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #1,539 of 1,779
So this happened 3 days into owning the HE-500's

How do I fix this? Is their a cheap replacement (replacement, not upgrade) that I can get within 2-3 days? After the HE-400 fiasco I can't wait much longer

Welcome to the club!  I absolutely BABY my HE-500 & the silver cable it came with.. and it still happened to me.  The (lack of) an effective strain relief at this point in the cable is something HFM needs to remedy ASAP.

Mar 3, 2012 at 5:09 AM Post #1,541 of 1,779

Quote:

Welcome to the club!  I absolutely BABY my HE-500 & the silver cable it came with.. and it still happened to me.  The (lack of) an effective strain relief at this point in the cable is something HFM needs to remedy ASAP.

wow this really sucks considering the price of the headphone... really glad I returned mine before that happened, though from the feel of the cable I had a hunch that it may happen.. sorry guys.

Mar 3, 2012 at 5:36 AM Post #1,542 of 1,779

Quote:
How do I fix this? Is their a cheap replacement (replacement, not upgrade) that I can get within 2-3 days? After the HE-400 fiasco I can't wait much longer

That sucks!
If you do not know how to solder, better contact your seller for a quick replacement. IMO, aftermarket cables are quite expensive. 
If you can find someone who can solder maybe he can make fast a cheap-and-dirty replacement cable with the spare connectors provided in the box.
Good luck!

Mar 3, 2012 at 5:49 AM Post #1,543 of 1,779
wow this really sucks considering the price of the headphone... really glad I returned mine before that happened, though from the feel of the cable I had a feeling that it may happen.. sorry guys.

A bummer, indeed.. but it certainly doesn't detract from my overall satisfaction with the phones.  From a build standpoint, they appear rock solid everywhere else (for me).  The HE-500 sound phenomenal & I wouldn't return them simply cause of a poorly constructed (strain relief on a) cable.  HFM will accommodate the repair/replacement, too.

Mar 3, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #1,544 of 1,779

Quote:

A bummer, indeed.. but it certainly doesn't detract from my overall satisfaction with the phones.  From a build standpoint, they appear rock solid everywhere else (for me).  The HE-500 sound phenomenal & I wouldn't return them simply cause of a poorly constructed (strain relief on a) cable.  HFM will accommodate the repair/replacement, too.

Actually I had other hardware problems, besides the cable that stimulated the return my earpad had problems (the right side was loose - regardless of which pad leather/velour I used), the hinge on the right ear was very firm and the hinge on the left ear was very loose and the leather on the headband was poorly sewn. I have owned plenty of headphones over the years and there is no excuse, regardless of the sound quality for unremarkable craftsmanship, whether that be the cable, the hinges, or the earpads.

That said, I think the only headphones that deserves the title "build like a tank/rock solid" are the Ultrasone Pro series because they can actually take a beating and having owned 3 different levels of their Pro line, every single time there was consistency of quality craftsmanship. I have read quite a few posts about ppl having problems with the silver cable for the HE500 and several more problems with the HE400, to me, its not ok regardless of how much some people enjoy the audio quality because every component must at least have lasting craftsmanship especially in the $400+ range of headphones. Just my opinion.

Mar 3, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #1,545 of 1,779

Quote:

Those SMC connectors are honestly a person to work with and resolder - I would probably contact HifiMan - they are reasonable people and I'm sure they will do their best to help you.  Honestly though SMC connectors are just not designed to be used this way.  They are designed to be used on coaxial cables...

Having said this, industrial design on the HE-X is well... not a strong point - everything said in the above post is true ocasionally me HE-6 creaks in a metallic way from the driver cage and I do worry.  So many aspects of the industrial design are really not ideal.  But IMO you can't argue with the sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back