HiFiMan Introduces New HE-500 Planar Magnetic Headphones
Nov 13, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #766 of 1,779
Quote:
This might be better for the tech forum, and is really just audio math chewing gum. I think many headphone amps would adequately drive my speakers:

1. 90 dB at 4 ohms at 1 watt at 1 meter (these are not particularly sensitive speakers!)
  2. listening distance is just a bit over 3 meters (about 3.16 meters)
  3. average listening volume is 76 dB with peaks to 86 dB at 3.16 meters, which corresponds to about 86 dB continuous with peaks to 96 dB at 1 meter (using the inverse distance law)
  4. 86 dB continuous at 1 meter is achieved at 0.4 watts
  5. 96 dB peaks at 1 meter are achieved at 4.0 watts

The Schiit Lyr (if it could handle 4 ohms) would certainly be enough to power these very average efficiency speakers.

All this math seriously begs the question, of course, why I felt the need to buy a vintage Carver power amp that produces 450 watts/channel continuous at 4 ohms since it has over 100 times the power necessary to handle the volume peaks (and over 1000 times the power necessary to handle the average/continuous volume) for these speakers at my listening distance and volume! Geez...

I think it says something about headphone volume and power too but I'm not sure what just yet.

No, they can't. Speaker load usually extend from 2 to 8 ohms, headphone loads from 16 to 300 ohms, this result in the fact that for the same amount of power to the transducer, speakers require a LOT more current (and less voltage). Since headphone amps aren't usually designed to handle this much current, they'll simply melt down.

Nov 14, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #768 of 1,779
Well yah. I'm only saying that 0.4 to 4.0 watts is all I ever use for pretty inefficient speakers. If my speakers were 100 dB/watt/meter (at whatever resistance) instead (i.e. pretty efficient speakers), then the max power I would effectively really need would be in the 400 milliWatt range. The Schiit Lyr would be overpowered for four Klipschorns connected in series (16 ohm load, 104 dB/watt/meter sensitivity). Actually the Lyr is rated for eight ohm speakers too.

Quote:
No, they can't. Speaker load usually extend from 2 to 8 ohms, headphone loads from 16 to 300 ohms, this result in the fact that for the same amount of power to the transducer, speakers require a LOT more current (and less voltage). Since headphone amps aren't usually designed to handle this much current, they'll simply melt down.

Nov 14, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #769 of 1,779
Guys, the stock HE-500 cable... is it 1/4" trs? Is there an option to go 4 pin xlr instead? What's the consensus on the new pads?

Can anyone compare a balanced LCD-2 rev.2 to a balanced HE-500?

Nov 14, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #770 of 1,779

Quote:
Guys, the stock HE-500 cable... is it 1/4" trs? Is there an option to go 4 pin xlr instead? What's the consensus on the new pads?

Can anyone compare a balanced LCD-2 rev.2 to a balanced HE-500?

Unless the cable has been changed it is a 1/8" with an adapter to 1/4"

Nov 14, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #771 of 1,779

Quote:
Woo WA2 is an OTL tube amp, and it's said to handle both the HE-500 and LCD-2 well. From what I'm told, there is a difference in low imp dynamics and orthos, and orthos aren't necessary a mismatch with OTL amps.

Can't comment on the HE500s, but yes, I did very much like the WA2/LCD-2 combination. Both are now sold.

Nov 14, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #772 of 1,779

Quote:
Well yah. I'm only saying that 0.4 to 4.0 watts is all I ever use for pretty inefficient speakers. If my speakers were 100 dB/watt/meter (at whatever resistance) instead (i.e. pretty efficient speakers), then the max power I would effectively really need would be in the 400 milliWatt range. The Schiit Lyr would be overpowered for four Klipschorns connected in series (16 ohm load, 104 dB/watt/meter sensitivity). Actually the Lyr is rated for eight ohm speakers too.

Quote:

There are really rated for 8 ohms? Do you have a link?

Nov 15, 2011 at 9:31 AM Post #773 of 1,779
Well, to be fair, it says "headphone impedance."

http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=3

Scroll down to the bottom:

Specifications
Headphone Impedance: 8-600 ohms
Gain: 10 (20 dB)
Frequency Response: 2Hz-200KHz, -3dB
Maximum Output: 40V P-P into 32 ohms typ

Quote:
There are really rated for 8 ohms? Do you have a link?

Nov 15, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #774 of 1,779
So... How long would it take before I'd know that the $699 headphones I'm ordering are the ones with the upgraded cord and pads?

Though some vendors have lowered their price (and some haven't, including one named after the world's largest river), it's not clear what I'm ordering.

Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back