Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Sep 12, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #1,922 of 3,507
Got my RE600 today. Really impressive stuff I have to say.
I paired it with the hifiman 901 + balanced amp card as advertised lol
Great great vocal, reminds me of HE500 which is one of my favorite big cans.
Only complaint is a little bit lack in the bass department. Just personal preference. BTW, the highs are not lacking or anything, the extension is just as good as any other flagship dynamic monitors I've ever heard.

Sep 13, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #1,925 of 3,507
It's finally happend, my re400s are falling apart. The second support sleeve has broken off. Thats ok hifiman I forgive you but you seriously need to call your plant and change the glue you are using it's too weak. On the plus side this means recabling is going to be pain free. Can anyone recommend a quality cable that wont go over 50usd.

Sep 14, 2013 at 11:23 PM Post #1,926 of 3,507
It's finally happend, my re400s are falling apart. The second support sleeve has broken off. Thats ok hifiman I forgive you but you seriously need to call your plant and change the glue you are using it's too weak. On the plus side this means recabling is going to be pain free. Can anyone recommend a quality cable that wont go over 50usd.

How are you going to recable them...?  I am curious how you plan on acccessing the driver to install a new cable.  I'm generally game for most mods but I don't see where these come apart to allow it.   Mine have just started getting fiddley on the right side.  So I moved the sleeve till I got a good connection and the driped a drop of crazy glue gel down the sleeve. just enough to lock the thing in place.  It's drying now and is still working fine.  I think that will save me getting a new pair.  With an eyeglass microfiber cloth filter placed in between the nozzles foam insert and the external filter these significantly improve.  Can't fully comment as this is part of what's going on in the 400 w Rin filter and the 600 tour and I promised not to comment at this point.  But try the filter you will be pleased and of course it's completely reversable.

Fwiw

Sep 16, 2013 at 6:02 PM Post #1,928 of 3,507
  So the wiring to the plug on my RE-400s has failed. My fourth Hifiman product that has not last 6 months. Such a shame, the SQ on these was so great for the price. Anyone else having problems?

I had the same problem after three weeks (!!!) and just received my replacement from Hifiman...

...and the rear of one of the barrels is badly scratched, as well as the left sleeve missing the raised dot. I am wondering if I was sent a prototype. I love the sound and they're by far the most comfortable earphones I've ever used, but so far am very disappointed with the quality of the product and Hifiman's service. I guess I'll use these for another three weeks until they break and then buy something else.

Sep 16, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #1,929 of 3,507
I too had them replaced after 2 months - the angled jack gave away...
Now after another 2 months the cable wiring is dying, probably both above the jack and near the shell - split section...
Oh well just when I thought the build quality is finally nailed down... It has to be the cable :mad:

Sep 18, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #1,930 of 3,507
I recently got to hook up my RE-400 with my O2 after doing the microfiber cloth mod, and damn does it impress. I felt that the mod made the mids and highs smoother, while taming the midbass a bit. Instead of having punchy bass, it feels "thumpy" (imagine a bare fist vs. a gloved fist punching you). I might've lost some bass texture and ironically got more treble presence - this does not sound like the description of the RE-600 that I'm reading. I suspect this is because my microfiber cloth was on the thick side (compared to traditional soft microfiber cloth), so the results may not be the same for everyone. 

On a side note, the RE-400 really loves power: the difference between a Sansa Clip+ and an O2'ed computer (no soundcard or DAC) is appreciable. 

EDIT: I would not hesitate to call my modded RE-400 a fusion of the RE-ZERO and the RE-262 (RE-ZERO highs/amount of detail, 262-ish midrange, 262-ish bass). Yes, the bass sounds like the "wet cardboard" 262 bass that another Head-fi member so described
tongue.gif

Sep 21, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #1,931 of 3,507
Are there any recommended silicone tips that fits the RE400? A cheap variety pack would be great. I imagine this has been covered some in the thread already, but it's massive, and a search yielded too many results to get anything cut and dry.

Thanks

Sep 21, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #1,934 of 3,507
  I recently got to hook up my RE-400 with my O2 after doing the microfiber cloth mod, and damn does it impress. I felt that the mod made the mids and highs smoother, while taming the midbass a bit. Instead of having punchy bass, it feels "thumpy" (imagine a bare fist vs. a gloved fist punching you). I might've lost some bass texture and ironically got more treble presence - this does not sound like the description of the RE-600 that I'm reading. I suspect this is because my microfiber cloth was on the thick side (compared to traditional soft microfiber cloth), so the results may not be the same for everyone. 

On a side note, the RE-400 really loves power: the difference between a Sansa Clip+ and an O2'ed computer (no soundcard or DAC) is appreciable. 

EDIT: I would not hesitate to call my modded RE-400 a fusion of the RE-ZERO and the RE-262 (RE-ZERO highs/amount of detail, 262-ish midrange, 262-ish bass). Yes, the bass sounds like the "wet cardboard" 262 bass that another Head-fi member so described
tongue.gif

Try an eyeglass microfiber cloth.  You can get them at Walmart for $1.50 or so.  All the things you describe are true, except my bass has more weight, punch and more impact than stock.  I like it a whole lot better.

Happy Listening!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back