Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Jun 19, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #1,127 of 3,507
Thanks for the impressions.  So, you like it more than your ER-4PT, EX800ST, PFE232... really?  Which amp, Warbler?

For balanced listening, I am using my iBasso PB2 and desktop Bantam Gold. So far, the RE-600 is my iem of choice except if I need max isolation, in which case my modded ER4 remains my first choice.

Jun 21, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #1,129 of 3,507
I'm getting so much more bass and less treble with a deep insertion. I definitely prefer the shallow insertion. Going deep is far too warm for me... but holy cow sub bass is insane with the deep insertion. To go deep, I made a modded tip using the stock bi-flangies and a cut-out of the tail end another pair of stock tips. I'm definitely sticking with shallow when on-the-go, and staying with deep + equalization when at the computer.

Jun 21, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #1,131 of 3,507
After few hours of listening, am very impressed. Very well rounded sig and boy can they punch. Bass quantity is near on perfect. Soundstage width alone is nothing to shout about, but depth and subsequent soundstage proportions are superb.

Jun 21, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #1,134 of 3,507
Quote:
After few hours of listening, am very impressed. Very well rounded sig and boy can they punch. Bass quantity is near on perfect. Soundstage width alone is nothing to shout about, but depth and subsequent soundstage proportions are superb.

Quote:
Yes, I generally find soundstage width less significant per se than its arrangement and details.

Indeed, the RE-400 has very nice depth, 'layeredness', and height. Best soundstage of any IEM I've heard so far.

Jun 22, 2013 at 3:52 AM Post #1,135 of 3,507
Quote:
Yes, I generally find soundstage width less significant per se than its arrangement and details.

Absolutely. A wide soundstage with little depth sounds all off to me. I'd much rather have all proportions appropriate to one another. 

Quote:

Indeed, the RE-400 has very nice depth, 'layeredness', and height. Best soundstage of any IEM I've heard so far.

I'l have to give it more time to determine how it scores against my favorites. I wish I still had the RE-272 to compare against, as that had a hell of a sounstage.

What I will say is that both bass impact and quantity easily exceed that of the RE-272. Even with +2db down low, the RE-272 couldn't hit as hard as this. 

Jun 22, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #1,136 of 3,507
Quote:

Absolutely. A wide soundstage with little depth sounds all off to me. I'd much rather have all proportions appropriate to one another. 

Quote:

I'l have to give it more time to determine how it scores against my favorites. I wish I still had the RE-272 to compare against, as that had a hell of a sounstage.

What I will say is that both bass impact and quantity easily exceed that of the RE-272. Even with +2db down low, the RE-272 couldn't hit this hard. 

Jun 22, 2013 at 5:30 AM Post #1,137 of 3,507
Quote:
What I will say is that both bass impact and quantity easily exceed that of the RE-272. Even with +2db down low, the RE-272 couldn't hit this hard. 

Curious to hear the difference. I'm definitely bringing my RE-272 to AC Gears HiFiman open house next week.

Jun 22, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #1,138 of 3,507
Jun 22, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #1,140 of 3,507
One word of caution though. The tips change the soundstage and sound overall. I like the smallest tips the best, with normal ones there was too much midbass and too small soundstage.  

About the 3d soundtage of Re400 is no joke, I agree it is phenomenal for $100. But for that soundtage to be there you would also need a good source and amp. From an mp3 player the soundtage is not nearly what RE400 is able of delivering. They also like being amped. 

And on a second note, I find RE400 to sound better and more precise when insterted with the cable entrance upwards with the cable going over and behind the ear. This way sound is bigger and closer to my ER4S sound presentation.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back