Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Jun 8, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #961 of 3,507
^^ Thanks!

So how does one take raw data and actually perform the compensation? I hope you won't say feed numbers into software and BAM!

Jun 8, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #962 of 3,507
^^ Thanks!

So how does one take raw data and actually perform the compensation? I hope you won't say feed numbers into software and BAM!

The raw data is numbers, so yes, the compensation (curve) is just a function.

Jun 9, 2013 at 8:35 AM Post #963 of 3,507
Quote:
I have no doubt Joker was trying to be as objective as possible. I'm just saying that you really may not like at all what someone else holds in high regard. Joker's 8.9 iem may or may not be your 9.8 iem.

I find ratings that go into tenths of a point pure folly. Has anybody ever read one of Joker's reviews and said to themselves "I completely understand why he gave those a 9.3 instead of a 9.2."? Not trying to besmirch his reputation as a reviewer - I think he's among the most competent and clearly near the top in terms of experience anywhere.  Maybe it's a product of having reviewed over a hundred different products...if he has 30 reviews that garner an 8/10, someone might say he's not being precise enough. I guess he can't win
wink.gif

Jun 9, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #964 of 3,507
I actually like it the way he does it, as I am critical and appreciate the various ratings.
An 8.3 and 8.7 for example really does tell you more than 8, 8.5 or 9 for that matter.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jun 9, 2013 at 11:05 AM Post #965 of 3,507
When you've listened to and reviewed as many headphones as Joker, the tenths of a point become beneficial as more headphones become closer in performance but with a slight advantage/disadvantage. It would be silly for someone with only a handful of reviews to use the tenths of a point, because you'd still have enough room to play with in the whole numbers. 

Great review. Excellent set of IEMs.

Jun 9, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #967 of 3,507
You have to realize that the scoring is most good for comparison with his other reviews. The same ways a company's F.R. ratings are good vs. their own other models and not so much vs. other companies. Like the high end spec of the CKN70 is higher than the VSD1 but the VSD1 is more extended. No use for external, only internal comparison. The description are most important.

IMO, with 200+ phones not going into tenths is just not as useable.

With all phones you get as many reviews/impressions as possible and then it all comes together. Basing on one review or reviewer is not doing your due diligence. Like before someone brought up the SM3. That is a source dependent phone that I owned. Not sure about the extremes quite as bad as a 7 or as good as a 9.4 but my testing brought a wide performance change across various sources. You do your homework you know the SM3's and XBA's of the world that are wild card or more risky unless most of the conditions are the same. Those one may not know till they try for themselves.

Still holds true, you need to make a mental file on a phone. Measurements and data, all reviews and impressions you think you need, and compensation for yourself(ears and gears and such) all together as pages in that file. Joker's and other reviews are pieces that go in the file and worth going in especially if you become familiar and understand better how to gauge them.

At times around here, we get bogged down on one review or measurement, forgetting to keep perspective. Making the small pieces have more importance than they should.

Jun 9, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #968 of 3,507
When you've listened to and reviewed as many headphones as Joker, the tenths of a point become beneficial as more headphones become closer in performance but with a slight advantage/disadvantage. It would be silly for someone with only a handful of reviews to use the tenths of a point, because you'd still have enough room to play with in the whole numbers.

My thoughts, exactly. With as many products as joker has reviewed, incorporating tenths arguably becomes mandatory.

Jun 9, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #969 of 3,507
Dispose of tenths and go 50/50 tossup. Award IEMs with either a "Likey" or "No Likey." Reviews would only take a second to read and comprehend.

Jun 9, 2013 at 1:45 PM Post #970 of 3,507
We are so off base now that we can't even see the stadium anymore. Lets get back to the RE-400/600 love/hate.

Jun 9, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #973 of 3,507
Is an RE-400 hooked up directly to a 5th gen Shuffle overkill?

I mean, would I really be able to hear some of the goodness the 400's are capable of, or should I just purchase cheaper IEM's of less quality?

Jun 9, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #975 of 3,507

Users who are viewing this thread

Back