Hifiman IEM's: RE-400 and RE-600
Mar 8, 2013 at 12:04 AM Post #526 of 3,507
The Decay plot is definitely something I could use because I like the bass to be detailed and clean though I do like the decay to have some length but not as much as the MH1C as it is quite sloppy and flabby.

Mar 8, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #527 of 3,507
Quote:
Simply put, one specific freq doesn't tell anything about nothing. Unless you do increments of 100hz for each bass region, which isn't done, that's why you look at CSD. Decay plot defintely shows how tight a bass is, see Rin's MH1C plot, easily shows a flabby bass, unless you're not familiar with how to interpret. 

Increments of 100Hz? Bass region (sub bass and bass) is from 20 to 250 Hz, how would this give you a more exact picture? Probably a typo. But there is a reason 30 Hz is a very good value to do measure on - not many can perform well in this sub bass region so it is of interest to many. Anyway if I want decay data I would look at CSD plots otherwise I will stick to square wave data - has worked out very well for me this far. One can choose whatever he/she likes.

Mar 8, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #528 of 3,507
But you see it's only telling you a specific region, how is that telling you the bass is "tight" makes no sense. You claim it can tell you the quality of bass but it only telling you a narrow region, it will have to tell you a whole picture of how 250hz and below behave which CSD does. CSD will tell you the same thing and more. Tyll uses an audio precision analyzer, which can't do a proper CSD, thus the square wave results :/

Mar 8, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #529 of 3,507
Nope, not claiming at all that a measurement on 30 Hz would give information on how to perceive bass, tight and so on. As I said before I think that measurement data is good on giving a hint, but to get the whole picture one would need extensive measurement data and even then you wouldn't be 100% sure how something would sound. There are so many factors that it can depend on. You would need many references  where you know how they sound to even get close. But I understand what you are saying. Let's not make this thread a subject on measurement but on Hifiman RE-400.

Mar 8, 2013 at 4:40 PM Post #530 of 3,507
Well, decay plot would work, but standard methods of making a Cumulative Spectral Decay is wildly inaccurate at low frequencies. Instead of a windowed impulse response, a long maximum length sequence (pseudorandom) would have to be used.

Anyway, that 3kHz dip is I think a measurement/compensation artifact, as it's clearly not audible - not in GR07 nor in RE-400. What is audible is the 5.5k dip in stock configuration of RE-400. GR07 on the other hand has a small peak there combined with ringing. RE-400 has slight10kHz ringing, much less annoying, just slightly smoothing highs detailing - Comply Ts400 vastly reduced it, so it's definitely related to the shell damping and not created by the driver. Also a small 4.5kHz peak in RE-400 is audible, but not annoying.
Probably the different insertion depths can shift these resonances to nicer spots. It so happens that GR07 seens to be designed for deep insertion but lacks the tips required for that and there are scant few compatible ones. None of the included single flanges is suitable and MEElec triple flanges are plain annoying.

Mar 8, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #531 of 3,507
Quote:
[...]What is audible is the 5.5k dip in stock configuration of RE-400[...]

That's odd. I've been trying to EQ my RE-400s, and in my ears, the RE-400 produces a pretty strong ringing at 5.5k that has me dialing back that peak in EQ to get more even response (another near 9k). I'm new to the forums here: is this due to different ways of assessing the frequency response?

Mar 8, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #532 of 3,507
Quote:
Does the RE-400 benefit noticeably from amping?
Since I have sold my E11 I have no portable amp at ,my disposal atm an since I really love the Hifiman house sound RE-400 seemed like a good HP to go along the HE-6, but for traveling use of course.
I might get something like the E12 or C&C BH in the future though but for now its straight off my phone.
Is it okay?
Thanks, Luke

If you like sound of your source (for example HO of your iPod Classic) so will get true sound of your source.
AMPing is good.

Mar 9, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #533 of 3,507
Quote:
That's odd. I've been trying to EQ my RE-400s, and in my ears, the RE-400 produces a pretty strong ringing at 5.5k that has me dialing back that peak in EQ to get more even response (another near 9k). I'm new to the forums here: is this due to different ways of assessing the frequency response?

The peaks will shift depending on insertion depth. For me, the peak is at 4.5kHz. (RE-272 long biflanges)
Any of longer tips, deeper insertion and Comply foams tend to shift resonances down.

RE-400 do not benefit much from amplification as long as your source has enough power to drive their low sensitivity.

Mar 9, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #534 of 3,507
Quote:
The peaks will shift depending on insertion depth. For me, the peak is at 4.5kHz. (RE-272 long biflanges)
Any of longer tips, deeper insertion and Comply foams tend to shift resonances down.

RE-400 do not benefit much from amplification as long as your source has enough power to drive their low sensitivity.

According to this, that means you're not getting a deeper insertion, you're actually getting a shallow insertion with the RE-400.  Note how at the reference plane, the spike is at 5k, 3-6 mm away, you get the spike bigger, and moved towards the 4.5k range.  You also lose extension this way as well.

Mar 9, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #535 of 3,507
@ Inks: I see that you are using Westone 4 and HF3. We may have pretty similar tastes as both of those IEMs really impressed me as well.
beerchug.gif
In fact, I know I will be buying at least one pair of an Ety HF for myself when I'll have the money. Those things are so darn great for the price.

Mar 9, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #536 of 3,507
Quote:

According to this, that means you're not getting a deeper insertion, you're actually getting a shallow insertion with the RE-400.  Note how at the reference plane, the spike is at 5k, 3-6 mm away, you get the spike bigger, and moved towards the 4.5k range.  You also lose extension this way as well.

Except if you use the long biflanges (which are similar in sound to large biflanges, but bit airier, less midbassy), where you gain extension and highest end. I actually use shallow insertion (between -3 and -6 mm I think) and as you go shallower than -3 mm, the air returns. Reference plane is quite deep indeed. I also use them without the filter (the filter adds to the 5.5k null).

Mar 11, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #539 of 3,507
Well i just got mine and due to partially my mishap while handling them: How do i put the white foam back in? It was holding on to the black filter pretty tightly so when i accidentally pushed the black filter in too much and wanted to pull it out, it went out with the white foam aswell.

And second thing: For some reason, my right one is very very quiet...i can barely hear it...and incidentally this is the driver from which i accidentally pulled the foam out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mar 11, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #540 of 3,507
I recommend using small tweezers or a dull end of a large needle. Place it on the IEM's horn and push delicately on the center so that it gets inside.

However, it shouldn't get quieter - perhaps the IEM is now broken or a piece of foam got torn and fell onto the driver. The foam bit is circular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back