HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW .
Aug 15, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #1,036 of 3,445
Anyway they were able to send me a new cable, voila, all solved.

Aug 15, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #1,037 of 3,445
Trying to figure out why certain album art shows on the HM901 and others don't. Some flac and wav albums work, all mp3 albums seem to work. all of my albums have cover.jpg and an identical folder.jpg 

But only a few work. I can see a lot of room for improving with the user interface.

Have had the player become confused a few times when skipping tracks, it gets stuck playing a song as it says it is playing another. no way to skip you just have to wait for the song to play out.

But it's all worth it as this player just sounds soo soo dam good!

Loving listening to classic albums ripped from 180 or 200g Vinyl in 24bit 96khz.
Jimi - Beatles -  Zeppelin - Marley - Floyd - Eagles... ohhh soo tasty!

Have found DVD-A albums sound best in "Vintage" mode as they are super HD and have really clear sharp highs. the vintage 20khz 3db roll off is nice to give them a little bit more warmth. eg, Fleetwood Rumours DVD-A

Loving the  ++++HM901++++  eht gnivoL

Aug 15, 2013 at 7:14 AM Post #1,038 of 3,445
I also prefer vintage. I was surprised. I remember the huge controversy about the 801 a while back and I didn't understand it because the 801 sounded really good to me- turns out I LIKE rolled off treble! I guess that explains it...

I also have friends who can't tell the difference between the two, vintage and hd.

Aug 15, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #1,040 of 3,445
Quote:
I also prefer vintage. I was surprised. I remember the huge controversy about the 801 a while back and I didn't understand it because the 801 sounded really good to me- turns out I LIKE rolled off treble! I guess that explains it...

I also have friends who can't tell the difference between the two, vintage and hd.

If they can't tell the difference they have probably lost their ultra high end hearing. but it is only very subtle. a nice feature to have especialy for modern recordings that can be a little harsh and too glassy! HD is great too though. I like them both

Aug 15, 2013 at 8:37 AM Post #1,041 of 3,445
I must say I'm a little peeved at the fact you fork out 1000 USD on a high end piece of equipment and You need to spend extra on a balanced card it seems by all accounts the standard amp card isn't very good and you need to upgrade it. Has anybody used his set up I intend buying the he-500 but not right now

Aug 15, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #1,042 of 3,445
I use the standard amp module all the time even though I have the balanced amp card as well. It is not a bad sound card per se. In fact, I'll say it sounds quite excellent on its own. Just because balanced amp card is better sounding doesn't automatically makes the standard amp card bad sounding.

Aug 15, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #1,043 of 3,445
Pretty cool, can someone post a link for the English part of the HiFiman web site? Or is there an English version.
I been all over the site but don't see any language link that I can read.
Thanks jamato8 for the posts and photo's.

Aug 15, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #1,044 of 3,445
UPS delivered.  So far this thing is everything it was hyped up to be.  Part of me always thought these high end players were more of a placebo than anything else, but I've owned several other Hifiman products in the past, they sounded amazing, so I gave them the nod when it came time for a one shot high end DAP experiment.

Only having one issue.  Every high res ALAC file above 96khz plays extremely slowly like it is coming from a dead record player.  Did I miss something and are these not supported?  Could have sworn they were.  Really don't want to mess with converting them to FLAC.  My firmware is version 1.080.  Is there an update that fixes this or is it a known issue?

Aug 15, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #1,045 of 3,445
Quote:
Pretty cool, can someone post a link for the English part of the HiFiman web site? Or is there an English version.
I been all over the site but don't see any language link that I can read.
Thanks jamato8 for the posts and photo's.

Head-Direct.com

Aug 15, 2013 at 7:06 PM Post #1,046 of 3,445
DSD coming from the next firmware 1.081.

Aug 15, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #1,047 of 3,445
So is there ANY way to use the 901 from my PC without buying the obnoxious dock for way too much money? I don't mind if I have to run it off battery life.

Aug 15, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #1,048 of 3,445
Aug 15, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #1,050 of 3,445
Quote:
So is there ANY way to use the 901 from my PC without buying the obnoxious dock for way too much money? I don't mind if I have to run it off battery life.

I don't think there is...yet. Hifiman won't make the cable that's for sure, so we have to wait for a DIY'er to figure it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back