HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW .
Aug 13, 2013 at 11:03 PM Post #1,021 of 3,445
IMO the included dock cables are too short to be useful and they really should have provided the dock-only option and let users use their own cables...

Aug 13, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #1,022 of 3,445
Aug 13, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #1,023 of 3,445
Forgive me if this is a silly question but would it do the player any harm to run a double ended 3.5mm lead out of the headphone plug to a small 2.1 speaker setup which has it's amp in the subwoofer?

Ive never had any problems doing this with other players "cowon s9" etc but in the 901 instructions it says to only run headphones.

Could it cause any damage?

Aug 14, 2013 at 12:03 AM Post #1,024 of 3,445
Quote:
Forgive me if this is a silly question but would it do the player any harm to run a double ended 3.5mm lead out of the headphone plug to a small 2.1 speaker setup which has it's amp in the subwoofer?

Ive never had any problems doing this with other players "cowon s9" etc but in the 901 instructions it says to only run headphones.

Just dont run a balanced out 
basshead.gif

Aug 14, 2013 at 12:22 AM Post #1,025 of 3,445
Quote:

As long as the small setup you talk about has its own amplifier I think that you can use it as source, never use it straight to run speakers no matter how small are. But if you get the signal from the headphone jack make sure that the swich its in unbalanced mode. The best way to connect it would be by the output from the dock port and using adaptors to the input of the setup. Using the headphone output it's not the optimal way to use it as a source, and I will only recommend to use it like this to get by the way when you don't have the proper cable to use the dock port, but it will works.

Aug 14, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #1,028 of 3,445
I think not, the new batches (like mine) have only the dock cable to RCA) I would love to have the dock to 3.5mm plug. might have to look out for an adapter... or a palce to by the dock plug to 3.5mm lead, anyone know where?

Hopefully after a few months, toxic cables, double helix, btg, whiplash, etc will start making really nice dock to mini cables. But the 901 just came out so it will take time.

Aug 14, 2013 at 1:45 AM Post #1,029 of 3,445
As for someone getting a DOCK-TO-3.5 instead of DOCK-TO-RCA, I remember seeing a post on Chinese forum mentioning that newer HM-901 will be shipped with a DOCK-TO-3.5 instead of DOCK-TO-RCA, due to various complaints about owners not being able to connect it with portable amps.

Aug 14, 2013 at 3:47 PM Post #1,031 of 3,445
I think the dock with female mini stereo jack is a very tempting addition, because then you can use any mini jack to RCA cable for line out to desktop amps / setups - and any portable amp can be plugged with a common mini to mini cable.

Aug 14, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #1,032 of 3,445
I remember a guy posted earlier about having a charger explode on him. Well, the first time i used my charger a few days ago, it got VERY hot but charged with no problem. Today, I go to charge for a second time and its barely warm and the green LED went out. I check 2 hours later and the battery barely charged. I check 3 hours later and the charger is room temp. and didnt charge the battery any further. I'm assuming mine has failed, not pleased.

Aug 14, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #1,033 of 3,445
Quote:
I remember a guy posted earlier about having a charger explode on him. Well, the first time i used my charger a few days ago, it got VERY hot but charged with no problem. Today, I go to charge for a second time and its barely warm and the green LED went out. I check 2 hours later and the battery barely charged. I check 3 hours later and the charger is room temp. and didnt charge the battery any further. I'm assuming mine has failed, not pleased.

Lol that guy shorted his power cable from the wallplug to the charger, nothing exploded and the charger still works with another power cable.  That explosion is misleading at best and devious at worst. This is how ridiculous rumors got spread.

If your charger didn't charge the battery after plugging in for hours then it definitely is defective and you need to get a replacement sent to you.  But from what I read we cannot determine if it is charging based on the charger's temperature.

I had a similar concern on charger temp and checked with CS.  The official response is that this is "fine".  Far from satisfied I continued to read up various forums on posts and found someone who have better knowledge about charging/batteries mentioned there is two "stages" for the charging design, if the battery is less than 65% or so full, it would have a high current charging mode and the charger is hot at this stage, and when it is more full, it will use lower current to charge and at this stage the charger is just slightly warm, until it is fully charged.  So if you charge when the battary is still half full it would not be hot.  Below were the info I read in chinese for those of you who can read in Chinese:

[size=13.333333015441895px]"准确的说,充电器灯亮着的时候是大电流充电状态,这个时候充电器很烫,4个小时左右之后,指示灯逐渐熄灭,进入涓流状态,充电器的温度也会随时间慢慢降低,6小时以后,电池电压基本上达到8.4伏,充电结束,充电器降温至室温。所以判断充电是否结束的方法是充电器指示灯熄灭,且充电器温度接近室温。"[/size]

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #1,034 of 3,445
Thanks kkcc,

Quote:
[size=13.333333015441895px]"准确的说,充电器灯亮着的时候是大电流充电状态,这个时候充电器很烫,4个小时左右之后,指示灯逐渐熄灭,进入涓流状态,充电器的温度也会随时间慢慢降低,6小时以后,电池电压基本上达到8.4伏,充电结束,充电器降温至室温。所以判断充电是否结束的方法是充电器指示灯熄灭,且充电器温度接近室温。"[/size]

Google translates this to:

"Accurate to say that the charger lights on when it is high current charging state, this time the charger is very hot, about four hours after the light is extinguished, the state enters trickle charger temperatures will slowly over time reduced, six hours later, the battery voltage is basically up to 8.4 volts, charging is completed, the charger cool down to room temperature, so determine whether the end of the method is to charge the charger light is off, and the charger near room temperature. "

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:44 AM Post #1,035 of 3,445
Also takes note that this has been mentioned early on, that HM901 will not fully charge the battery if the player is turned on while charging. To fully charge the battery, the player needs to be turned off. This is because the charging circuit is built into the charger to save space on the player, so the player itself doesn't 'know' when to stop draining the battery power even though the charger is plugged in.

So if the battery is not drained to the stage where the high current mode kicks in while the player is on, then it will charge very slowly if at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back