HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW .
Aug 12, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #991 of 3,445
So why does the 627x have 3x627 and 3x634 chips inside? I'm confused..

Aug 12, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #992 of 3,445
It was a while ago since I heard it (paired with dx100) and I would say it is slightly warmer and mid centric. But this is going off memory so don't rely on this. Btw the balanced amp uses 2 opa627 per channel vs 1 per for 627x...

The balanced card uses 2 opa627 per channel for balanced but for SE operation it uses 1 chip per channel.

So why does the 627x have 3x627 and 3x634 chips inside? I'm confused..

The balanced card uses 1 opa627 for each channel in SE operation. The portaphile uses also 1 opa627 per channel and also an additional 1opa627 for the ground channel. IMO this is the better way to do it for SE.

The opa627 is for voltage gain. The buf634 is for current gain.

Hope my explation helps.

Aug 12, 2013 at 8:40 PM Post #993 of 3,445
Um.... My HM-901 charger exploded yesterday... It was my first time trying to charge my HM-901, and when I plugged the charger in, sparks and little flames came out. The plug even has some burnt-mark on it. Now I can't charge my HM-901, and a new charger would cost me about 400 RMB more to purchase. Any of you guys know if this is covered with warranty?

B.T.W., not being able to charge via usb is a pain in the neck...

Aug 12, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #994 of 3,445
Quote:
Um.... My HM-901 charger exploded yesterday... It was my first time trying to charge my HM-901, and when I plugged the charger in, sparks and little flames came out. The plug even has some burnt-mark on it. Now I can't charge my HM-901, and a new charger would cost me about 400 RMB more to purchase. Any of you guys know if this is covered with warranty?

It would seem that it would have to be covered. Have you emailed Hifiman?

Aug 12, 2013 at 11:38 PM Post #995 of 3,445
Quote:
AC Gears shipped my HM-901 via unreliable USPS.  It was out for delivery on Friday so I took the day off work to sign for the package, which never arrived.  The postman came and went today, Saturday, with no package.  I visited the post office  and was told it was placed in my (small) mailbox on Friday and they said AC Gears waived a delivery signature.  I received my mail, but no package.  17 years at this residence with multiple UPS and FedEx packages delivered weekly, and never a problem. USPS shipping, no signature required, $50 insurance, what a joke.   Contacting my CC to dispute charge and will reorder the HF-901 from somewhere else.  

[size=9pt]Well, when USPS says your Priority 2-Day package is "out for delivery" they mean it's touring your neighborhood on a 4 day journey in the back of a mail truck. And when the mailman says he delivered the package on Friday, he might be mistaken by a few days. And AC Gear's free shipping wasn't entirely free, as $12 shipping was due at delivery. But hey, I have my HM-901, so I'm happy.[/size]

[size=9pt]I installed the balanced card, popped in my 256GB SDXC memory card completely filled (the HM-901 must have its own internal memory for the database TOC) and gave it a few hours charge. My unit came with firmware v.1.08. I've shuffled through a few albums and no problems with the 256GB card. Listened to several 24/192 tracks from Hdtracks, and DSDs converted w. Saracon to 24/192 and I'm very pleased with the sound. [/size]

[size=9pt]While the HM-901 isn't very big, its much heavier than it looks. I was hoping to occasionally take it to the gym, giving my AK120 a rest, but it would likely pull my shorts off if strapped to my side without a belt. For traveling, it would be nice to have a more compact charger, but I'm not sure if HiFiMAN will offer further charging options.[/size]

Aug 12, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #996 of 3,445
Problem solved, but thanks :)

Aug 13, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #997 of 3,445

Wow thats sound scary! I also agree they must cover this. I have heard third party camera or cellphone battery exploded before but charger? Really news to me..... even with "little flame came out" causing burnt mark...!!

Aug 13, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #998 of 3,445
[COLOR=000000][SIZE=9pt]Well, when USPS says your Priority 2-Day package is "out for delivery" they mean it's touring your neighborhood on a 4 day journey in the back of a mail truck. And when the mailman says he delivered the package on Friday, he might be mistaken by a few days. And AC Gear's free shipping wasn't entirely free, as $12 shipping was due at delivery. But hey, I have my HM-901, so I'm happy.[/SIZE][/COLOR]​

​

[COLOR=000000][SIZE=9pt]I installed the balanced card, popped in my 256GB SDXC memory card completely filled (the HM-901 must have its own internal memory for the database TOC) and gave it a few hours charge. My unit came with firmware v.1.08. I've shuffled through a few albums and no problems with the 256GB card. Listened to several 24/192 tracks from Hdtracks, and DSDs converted w. Saracon to 24/192 and I'm very pleased with the sound.[/SIZE][/COLOR]​

​

[COLOR=000000][SIZE=9pt]While the HM-901 isn't very big, its much heavier than it looks. I was hoping to occasionally take it to the gym, giving my AK120 a rest, but it would likely pull my shorts off if strapped to my side without a belt. For traveling, it would be nice to have a more compact charger, but I'm not sure if HiFiMAN will offer further charging options.[/SIZE][/COLOR]​

Congratz! I also had this dilemma of bringing the 901 or ak120 when I'm on the go. I find myself reaching for the 901 most of the times unless it is not charged, or if I wasn't sure if I would have time to listen on the go.

Aug 13, 2013 at 5:38 AM Post #999 of 3,445
Quote:
[size=9pt]Well, when USPS says your Priority 2-Day package is "out for delivery" they mean it's touring your neighborhood on a 4 day journey in the back of a mail truck. And when the mailman says he delivered the package on Friday, he might be mistaken by a few days. And AC Gear's free shipping wasn't entirely free, as $12 shipping was due at delivery. But hey, I have my HM-901, so I'm happy.[/size]

[size=9pt]I installed the balanced card, popped in my 256GB SDXC memory card completely filled (the HM-901 must have its own internal memory for the database TOC) and gave it a few hours charge. My unit came with firmware v.1.08. I've shuffled through a few albums and no problems with the 256GB card. Listened to several 24/192 tracks from Hdtracks, and DSDs converted w. Saracon to 24/192 and I'm very pleased with the sound. [/size]

[size=9pt]While the HM-901 isn't very big, its much heavier than it looks. I was hoping to occasionally take it to the gym, giving my AK120 a rest, but it would likely pull my shorts off if strapped to my side without a belt. For traveling, it would be nice to have a more compact charger, but I'm not sure if HiFiMAN will offer further charging options.[/size]

Oh far out a 256GB card works aye? I didn't even know you could get those... Will be cool when the first terabyte SD comes out!

Aug 13, 2013 at 5:43 AM Post #1,000 of 3,445
What do you folks think about the user interface?

I would love an easier way to turn shuffle on and off and the ability to shuffle in directories and sub directories.

I would perfer to see the whole album art as a square instead of just a rectangular section.

and searching would be easier if you could scroll up from A to Z instead of just Forward A to B etc.

Aug 13, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #1,001 of 3,445
What do you folks think about the user interface?

I would love an easier way to turn shuffle on and off and the ability to shuffle in directories and sub directories.

I would perfer to see the whole album art as a square instead of just a rectangular section.

and searching would be easier if you could scroll up from A to Z instead of just Forward A to B etc.

The last one bugs me a lot.

Aug 13, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #1,002 of 3,445
The balanced amp sounds great, but how do I do line out to my other portable amps to give my other options a try? Is that dock hole a common thing in this industry? What's it called if so? Sorry for the newbie qns..

Aug 13, 2013 at 1:35 PM Post #1,003 of 3,445
Received my balanced amp card and boy does it make the RE-600 sing, wow! 
etysmile.gif

Aug 13, 2013 at 4:13 PM Post #1,005 of 3,445
Well, first of all we all agree there is no duck here :D ... haha ... but there is a multi connection interface/plug in the bottom of the DAP designed by HiFiMan, and most likely inspired by Apple, which is used for all kinds of in-out signals (except for headphones of course). This includes digital in/out and line out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back