HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW .
Aug 10, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #961 of 3,445
Where do we get the DIY amp? Is it better than the balanced amp run single ended?

The maker isn't planning to sell it and it won't give you much benefit with IEMs. That is really for pairing with fullsize cans. Was presently surprised it can make HD800 sound alright at volume 4.5 or so, and HE6 at 6.5 to 7....

901 didn't sound too shabby even next to the HDVD800....

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #962 of 3,445
Are you saying the HE6 is driven better with the DIY amp, than with the HM901's balanced amp?? :O

Aug 10, 2013 at 11:12 AM Post #963 of 3,445
Quote:
From your description it could be either because the DAP has problems with files on the card or that the SDXC card is formatted to FAT32 instead of the "correct" format (exFAT). Or could there be other reasons?

I have the latest firmware so it should accept both FAT32 and ExFAT SDXC. I have my card formatted to FAT32 on previous firmware and now on ExFAT, all without any issue.

Aug 10, 2013 at 11:29 AM Post #964 of 3,445
Are you saying the HE6 is driven better with the DIY amp, than with the HM901's balanced amp?? :O

Cannot confirm this as I don't have an XLR to trrs balance convertor cable with me to try it on balanced mode with the balanced board. With normal mode and the xlr to SE 3.5 provided, the "diy" amp drive it much better.

Aug 10, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #966 of 3,445
Quote:
My HM-901 will arrive tomorrow and I have the same SD card, currently loading it with music.  I'll report back tomorrow evening, hopefully with better results.

AC Gears shipped my HM-901 via unreliable USPS.  It was out for delivery on Friday so I took the day off work to sign for the package, which never arrived.  The postman came and went today, Saturday, with no package.  I visited the post office  and was told it was placed in my (small) mailbox on Friday and they said AC Gears waived a delivery signature.  I received my mail, but no package.  17 years at this residence with multiple UPS and FedEx packages delivered weekly, and never a problem. USPS shipping, no signature required, $50 insurance, what a joke.   Contacting my CC to dispute charge and will reorder the HF-901 from somewhere else.  

Aug 10, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #967 of 3,445
AC Gears shipped my HF-901 via unreliable USPS.  It was out for delivery on Friday so I took the day off work to sign for the package, which never arrived.  The postman came and went today, Saturday, with no package.  I visited the post office  and was told it was placed in my (small) mailbox on Friday and they said AC Gears waived a delivery signature.  I received my mail, but no package.  17 years at this residence with multiple UPS and FedEx packages delivered weekly, and never a problem. USPS shipping, no signature required, $50 insurance, what a joke.   Contacting my CC to dispute charge and will reorder the HF-901 from somewhere else.  

Sorry to hear about this! Hope you can minimize your loss....

Aug 10, 2013 at 10:12 PM Post #969 of 3,445
Quote:
AC Gears shipped my HM-901 via unreliable USPS.  It was out for delivery on Friday so I took the day off work to sign for the package, which never arrived.  The postman came and went today, Saturday, with no package.  I visited the post office  and was told it was placed in my (small) mailbox on Friday and they said AC Gears waived a delivery signature.  I received my mail, but no package.  17 years at this residence with multiple UPS and FedEx packages delivered weekly, and never a problem. USPS shipping, no signature required, $50 insurance, what a joke.   Contacting my CC to dispute charge and will reorder the HF-901 from somewhere else.  

I can sympathize, my balanced amp card arrived at the post office, but its nowhere to be found. After an exhaustive backtrack, it turns out he transferred stuff between lockers to optimize space and had to of goofed up by not seeing the package. Filing a claim against usps is not going to be fun 
mad.gif

Aug 11, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #970 of 3,445
Okay, so the minibox amp card is probably if you are interested in running full size headphones unbalanced,  IEM card is obviously for IEMs.  The balanced amp card can run single ended or balanced but not a lot of volume range for sensitive IEMs, I am guessing.  Am I missing anything?  Wouldn't it make sense to make a balanced IEM card since it is a portable player.  Just like everyone else I am a little confused and, from reading most of the pages on this thread it looks like there is very little reason to get anything but the balanced card?  Also, does anyone have a link for the DIY board?

Been thinking about getting this, the balanced card, and RE-600; I figure if they are designed by the same company there is bound to be synergy there, but the fact that they are easy to run makes me wonder why there is no balanced IEM specific card.  Anybody tried this pairing yet, or have any input?

Aug 11, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #971 of 3,445
Loving the HM-901! Recieved it last week and have had plenty of great listening experiences already. Also got the RE600 IEM's they are great and super detailed but I'm feeling that they are a bit lacking in the bass department??? Perhaps I just need more listening to get used to them. Enjoying most the 901 through my sennheiser HD650's. delicious.
Anyone had any trouble with the volume wheel on the HM901? Mine crackles a little and cuts audio slightly from the left channel between a couple of the notches. Quite annoying really as ideal volume is often at one of these points. Perhaps I should try spraying some contact cleaner in there? Not what I want to be doing at all.

Aug 11, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #972 of 3,445
Quote:
Loving the HM-901! Recieved it last week and have had plenty of great listening experiences already. Also got the RE600 IEM's they are great and super detailed but I'm feeling that they are a bit lacking in the bass department??? Perhaps I just need more listening to get used to them. Enjoying most the 901 through my sennheiser HD650's. delicious.
Anyone had any trouble with the volume wheel on the HM901? Mine crackles a little and cuts audio slightly from the left channel between a couple of the notches. Quite annoying really as ideal volume is often at one of these points. Perhaps I should try spraying some contact cleaner in there? Not what I want to be doing at all.

Where did you get the 901? The volume control should be the latest if you got a newly released 901 but if from the first batch, I would contact Hifiman as there was an issue with some of the first volume controls. 

The RE600's are excellent. For bass you just need to find the right fit and depth for the monitor. I use mine with the wire always going up and over the ear. They just seem to fit better and I can adjust for the bass quality where I couldn't with the wire facing down. 

Aug 11, 2013 at 5:16 AM Post #973 of 3,445
Where did you get the 901? The volume control should be the latest if you got a newly released 901 but if from the first batch, I would contact Hifiman as there was an issue with some of the first volume controls. 

The RE600's are excellent. For bass you just need to find the right fit and depth for the monitor. I use mine with the wire always going up and over the ear. They just seem to fit better and I can adjust for the bass quality where I couldn't with the wire facing down. 
What kinda of volume issues with the early HM-901? I've not had any problems with mine, but I do hear clicks. Is that considered to be the problem??

Aug 11, 2013 at 5:31 AM Post #974 of 3,445
The RE600 sounds really smooth... But requires some time of run-in, without it, RE600 sounds kinda shallow and closed.

Aug 11, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #975 of 3,445
Quote:

I think the keyword here might be "between". Are you saying that you position the volume dial between two clicks? If so, then there is no faults as such with the volume control since it is a stepped attenuator and should only work and be used on the clicks, not between them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back