HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW .
Jul 22, 2014 at 7:11 AM Post #2,806 of 3,445
  I do like the hm901, especially with discrete card and ultrasone edition 8 romeo, lots of instrument separation was delivered. The layers of sound that hm901 creates is exactly what the edition 8 is lacking at. 

So far I couldnt pick on anything about the sound, except maybe too much detail? if that's a bad thing for long time listening? sometimes i do like hm802's layback relax color. 

I just want to know what's the dap that would be the same amount of detail as hm901 if not more? or maybe have the same driving power?

I'd strongly suggest going for the Chord Hugo (though that isn't a DAP).

Transport-wise could be anything with a digital/coax/optical out.

Jul 22, 2014 at 7:19 AM Post #2,807 of 3,445

I'd strongly suggest going for the Chord Hugo (though that isn't a DAP).

Transport-wise could be anything with a digital/coax/optical out.

what does it sound like? would it be good enough to only use as a headphone  stage for ipod? or do you recommend to pair it with some dap? if we only use the optical out, does it bypass the dac stage of the chord hugo?

Jul 22, 2014 at 7:23 AM Post #2,808 of 3,445
Interesting responses you've been getting so far. This is just my opinion but to me most of the top player DAPs (HM-901, AK240, DX100, HDP-R10, Calyx M, etc.) have plenty of detail and if it were me recommending, I'd say look at a different pair of headphones instead that's able to extract the detail. At least when I had the Ed8LE a few years back, although it's nice, I felt I could get more detail from other headphones that were capable of greater resolution.

So my 2 yen worth is instead of looking for another DAP, maybe consider a different pair of headphones and you can see how much more detail the HM-901 is able to reveal. Then start listening out to microdetail, texturing & layering, etc.

Jul 22, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #2,809 of 3,445
  Interesting responses you've been getting so far. This is just my opinion but to me most of the top player DAPs (HM-901, AK240, DX100, HDP-R10, Calyx M, etc.) have plenty of detail and if it were me recommending, I'd say look at a different pair of headphones instead that's able to extract the detail. At least when I had the Ed8LE a few years back, although it's nice, I felt I could get more detail from other headphones that were capable of greater resolution.

So my 2 yen worth is instead of looking for another DAP, maybe consider a different pair of headphones and you can see how much more detail the HM-901 is able to reveal. Then start listening out to microdetail, texturing & layering, etc.

which one do you recommend to begin with? well, actually, I am selling the hm901, so there is no point for me to buy a pair especially for the hm901, but maybe just one to pair with a good dap?

Jul 22, 2014 at 7:31 AM Post #2,810 of 3,445

Would be better if it is closed, as I am moving oversea by the end of the year, I might be end up living in a noisy place lol

Jul 22, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #2,811 of 3,445
  Would be better if it is closed, as I am moving oversea by the end of the year, I might be end up living in a noisy place lol

I'll PM you about headphones as it gets more OT.

Jul 22, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #2,813 of 3,445
Just a question, is there something special you need to do to get the computer to detect the 901? Im trying to transfer music to the SD card inside, I plugged in the USB cable to the 901 and my computer and get not detection at all (windows 7, nothing shows in device manager)

Frimware is 1.085 V3

Jul 22, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #2,814 of 3,445
Just a question, is there something special you need to do to get the computer to detect the 901? Im trying to transfer music to the SD card inside, I plugged in the USB cable to the 901 and my computer and get not detection at all (windows 7, nothing shows in device manager)

Frimware is 1.085 V3

No idea. Never even plugged in the usb cable, and why would one want to do that anyway? The 901 has no internal storage, nor it can be used as usb dac.

I just transfer my music to the sd card directly with my ad card reader. I think it would be faster this way too.

Jul 22, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #2,815 of 3,445
Yeah, you have a good point and I have no argument.

I as just curious why they included a usb cable then and wanted to try it out to see how fast it would be.

Jul 23, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #2,816 of 3,445
what does it sound like? would it be good enough to only use as a headphone  stage for ipod? or do you recommend to pair it with some dap? if we only use the optical out, does it bypass the dac stage of the chord hugo?

We could continue the Hugo discussion on its thread. In short yes I agree Hugo give the best sound on any portable devices, and no it is a DAC and takes only digital inputs and not compatible with iPods. But you can use iphone/ipad via camera connection kit (cck) to connect to Hugo usb input.

Jul 23, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #2,817 of 3,445
We could continue the Hugo discussion on its thread. In short yes I agree Hugo give the best sound on any portable devices, and no it is a DAC and takes only digital inputs and not compatible with iPods. But you can use iphone/ipad via camera connection kit (cck) to connect to Hugo usb input.

decided, next goal: get a chord hugo!

Jul 24, 2014 at 8:04 AM Post #2,819 of 3,445

One for Anak and one for me :D thanks to a cool headfier and new friend who helped us procure them.

Congrats!!! Is there one more? I had been trying to score one for kiats but to no avail!

Jul 24, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #2,820 of 3,445

One for Anak and one for me
biggrin.gif
thanks to a cool headfier and new friend who helped us procure them.

I am sure you will like its sound! 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back