HiFiMAN HM-901 visit pg 18. IMGS pg 19. NEW beta FW 1st page. . to the 901s. .new 901s FW .
Jul 22, 2014 at 3:37 AM Post #2,794 of 3,445
  Ok, say if hm901 with discrete card's sound is 10/10, ipod is 1/10, what's the sound of ak240 be? 6/10? what about ak120 II?

You can't rate DAPs that way as the results would vary differently from one audio enthusiast to another. Such numbers will be meaningless too without background, without context, etc. Different audio enthusiasts have different desires & goals of what they seek for.

Jul 22, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #2,796 of 3,445
  well, give me a score and give a context, background too then?

I'd recommend that you do a little more reading. It sounds you're looking for someone to give you the quick answer which you're not going to get (not in a meaningful way anyway).

Jul 22, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #2,797 of 3,445
do more reading about what? reviews? read alot, but most of the times I am not sure about if they are being sponsored or it's a true review, I actually prefer other's personal experience now. 

P.s. it sounds like you are being defensive for ak240 now :) nahhhh I'm joking!

Jul 22, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #2,798 of 3,445
  do more reading about what? reviews? read alot, but most of the times I am not sure about if they are being sponsored or it's a true review, I actually prefer other's personal experience now. 

P.s. it sounds like you are being defensive for ak240 now :) nahhhh I'm joking!

I'm not certain if I follow you. You're not sure if reviews are sponsored or not or a true review, but asking randomly on this thread for "personal experience" is trustworthy? Here's a thread you can read on about the 901 vs AK240 vs a whole bunch of other DAPs: http://www.head-fi.org/t/714374/dap-off-astell-kern-ak240-hifiman-hm-901-sony-zx-1-fiio-x5-chord-hugo-calyx-m-from-june

Also I don't need to be defensive of the AK240 - I own both. Anyway, this is about what you're seeking, not me. So let's get back onto the topic.

I noticed you're selling your HM-901. Why? You also selling the HM-802 with a bunch of cards. How do they not satisfy you? Maybe explaining yourself a little more of what experience you've had, and why what you have don't satisfy you may help others provide more meaningful responses to you.

Jul 22, 2014 at 4:21 AM Post #2,799 of 3,445
Thank you for notice my selling thread, as you have noticed i am selling my hm901&802, you should have also noticed it is a inventory clearance which I am selling most of my staff.
As I mentioned in my sales, I am moving oversea with too many luggage, so selling most of my gears and might will have a different lifestyle. If they are not satisfying me, why would I buy those amp cards instead of selling the 901&802 right away?

Regarding to the reviews, I am seeking for what I want to know by asking question here, that review, which I have read many times already, or most of other reviews overly mentioned the portability and other features for these daps, which does not bring extra value to me.

As for me, I am purely looking for the sound rather than any other UI, battery life etc I am looking for something bring joys to my ears, not a super computer. And so far, I have not yet find any dap, that is supposedly superior, is better than hm901 in terms of sound.

Jul 22, 2014 at 5:17 AM Post #2,800 of 3,445
You know I'm trying to help you by explaining why your initial question doesn't make sense, giving you ideas do where you can read for more info, & further asking questions why your current gear doesn't satisfy so that you can provide the readers here some idea of what you're seeking & how they may help you.

It seems to me you're either not understanding how I'm trying to help you to help yourself, or purposefully not wanting to provide information.

That's fine as you're merely not helping yourself & I honestly have little sympathy for you if no one else helps you.

Moving on...

Jul 22, 2014 at 5:27 AM Post #2,801 of 3,445
First, like I said I am not not satisfied with hm901, I am simply want to know if there is a dap sounds better than hm901 in general? or if not, how far are they behind?

Second, I dont know what information you need in order to tell me which dap could sound better than hm901? personal preference? Given by I like the sound of hm901 and you do have hm901, you would probably know what type of sound I prefer? 

Third, thanks for helping me, or sorry about getting flaming 

Jul 22, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #2,802 of 3,445
Ok, taking a breather.

So what don't you like about it? Too much bass, too little bass? To strong mids? Not enough mids? Too digital? Too smooth? Too slow? Too small a soundstage?

In short, why does it not satisfy to you? What does it sound to -you-? Remember different people hear different things.

Jul 22, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #2,803 of 3,445
I do like the hm901, especially with discrete card and ultrasone edition 8 romeo, lots of instrument separation was delivered. The layers of sound that hm901 creates is exactly what the edition 8 is lacking at. 

So far I couldnt pick on anything about the sound, except maybe too much detail? if that's a bad thing for long time listening? sometimes i do like hm802's layback relax color. 

I just want to know what's the dap that would be the same amount of detail as hm901 if not more? or maybe have the same driving power?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back