Hifiman HM-801 sounds no better than my iPod Touch 3G...
Jul 25, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #77 of 133

Quote:
Ahahahaha. Go check the head-direct forum. Seriously go see it. Its open to all. Check all my posts on there.  See if I'm earning a good cheque from head-direct.

You're funny.

And you're completely missing the point.  The reviewers actually did in fact do volume matching.. a lot more scientific ones too then your "So, I ran a volume matched test by ears. I know it's not accurate but it's sufficient enough." 

Sufficient to whom? You? Great, my standards are higher then your standards.  Also you clearly have no 24-bit 96khz files which your precious ipod does NOT support, and thus have overpayed for your player since that is for the 801 is designed to do.  So you thus either a. do not actually listen to anything hifi b. cannot tell the difference and thus your ears are crap and your opinion should be kept to yourself since you're clearly nowhere near capable enough of distinguishing sound characteristics and nuances.

[size=medium]
Again, "it plays lossless files" is a nonsensical argument. "Your ears are just crap" isn't a very good one either. 
blink.gif

[/size]

Jul 25, 2011 at 10:51 PM Post #78 of 133
I was going to make a few comments, but common sense overuled that instinct ! Oh, that's right how can we trust the the opinions of someone does'nt know the difference between IEMs & headphones . I guess this shows how truly disinterested I am in this discussion ; Bojamijams, quit trying to use logic with this group it seems to make them very defensive. The truth is you either hear the difference with higher resolution playback or you don't. The thing I will never understand is the defense mechanism of those who look at it as "smoke & mirrors". If you are happy with your Pods wonderful, it's kind of silly to set yourself up as an expert with statements" blah,blah blah sounds no better than blah, blah, blah". What's the point? Give yourself a pat on the back, that you can save yourself some money ! Why did you find it necessary to use the "verbage" "no better than" instead of "I prefered". But, I defer, as I'm not really an expert. Ah crap !! I ignored common sense & made some comments. I won't let that happen again (but I would'nt bet on it) 

Jul 25, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #79 of 133

Quote:
Are you seriously this much in denial. A loaner? Ha! I'm not selling this thing because I simply don't want to contribute to the rip off. If someone wants to buy it from me then so be it, I'll sell it. But, like I said I'm not going to put my HM-801 out on the FS section looking for the next gullible person to pass this brick down to.

Who cares about professional or other members? What matters to me is what MY ears hear. See, that's the thing that's wrong with the people on this forum, they are too gullible. Did those reviewers do a volume matched blind test between the different players? No, so they fell prey of placebo and simply preferred the HM-801 because it costs more. That's what happened to me, because I used to think the HM-801 sounded far better than my iPod Touch 3G. What I hear is what the RMAA states and the HM-801 RMAA results are horrifying. The iPod Touch 3G's RMAA results is better and I don't doubt it because I hear a better sound through my iPod Touch 3G.

Seriously, I want to ask. How much does Head-Direct pay you?

There was no placebo effect as I compared my 801 with whipmod and all its accessories for 4-5 hours long ,before I sold the whipmod stuffs, I think we just hear different, to me  HM801 is far superior to the Ipod ,no matter if it's Gen3,photo,classic or touch.
I think the ipod classic or touch sound too dry,too much treble  so small soundstage (headstage). That's why I can't imagine someone would prefer them tothe HM801,but it's a fact that not every people like it
I just want to tell people,maybe one or another person dislike the HM801,but like everything in life it's just a taste,to me (and maybe more than a half ,who have tried the HM801 and Ipod ) HM801 worths every dollar,I spent. (though I hate its size,battery life and memory)

Jul 26, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #80 of 133

Quote:
There was no placebo effect as I compared my 801 with whipmod and all its accessories for 4-5 hours long ,before I sold the whipmod stuffs, I think we just hear different, to me  HM801 is far superior to the Ipod ,no matter if it's Gen3,photo,classic or touch.
I think the ipod classic or touch sound too dry,too much treble  so small soundstage (headstage). That's why I can't imagine someone would prefer them tothe HM801,but it's a fact that not every people like it
I just want to tell people,maybe one or another person dislike the HM801,but like everything in life it's just a taste,to me (and maybe more than a half ,who have tried the HM801 and Ipod ) HM801 worths every dollar,I spent. (though I hate its size,battery life and memory)

No, the treble output on the iPod Touch is fairly flat unlike the roll off on the HM-801. I find the soundstage more clearer and distinct not bigger or wider than the HM-801 through my iPod Touch. The iPod Touch doesn't impose a sound, it just at the best of it's abilities delivers the music to my Westone ES5's as undistorted as possible unlike the HM-801.

I just tried to give the HM-801 another chance and just couldn't bear that muffled and cluttered sound and immediately switched back to my iPod.

Jul 26, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #81 of 133
Here's another idea. Since you're not using the HM801 much, why not lend it to someone with sophisticated test equipment so they can take a full set of measurements? That might better explain what you're hearing. There are a few unknown test conditions in Markus Kraus's RMAA results. What were the absolute levels when they ran the tests? Are they even the same for the various devices tested? What model recorder/soundcard took the measurements? How was its mixer configured?

You can also lend the HM801 to someone with a Benchmark, Grace Design, or Lavry or some other well-measuring reference so that its headphone amp can be compared to popular portables like the iPhone 4 or the Clip+. Since you're not using the HifiMan, we can use it to advance the community's knowledge. We all want to know more of the truth, no?

Jul 26, 2011 at 2:53 AM Post #82 of 133

Quote:
No, the treble output on the iPod Touch is fairly flat unlike the roll off on the HM-801. I find the soundstage more clearer and distinct not bigger or wider than the HM-801 through my iPod Touch. The iPod Touch doesn't impose a sound, it just at the best of it's abilities delivers the music to my Westone ES5's as undistorted as possible unlike the HM-801.

I just tried to give the HM-801 another chance and just couldn't bear that muffled and cluttered sound and immediately switched back to my iPod.

I think ,you just don't like the sound sig of the HM801 and for me it's not about the synergy between ES5 and HM801 (I've heard  the ES5 demo many times at my friends shop) ,that's normal it's just not your cup of tea , my only advice and I think you've already considered, is  selling the HM801 and try a new player.

by the way  the answer to the debate of which is better ,which is worst about the gears is not always clear,I know people who said ,they can modify some headphones cost less than the LCD2 to sound better than them and who said the JH5 sound far better than the JH16. That's just their tastes,but to judge some gears without trying them,sometime you have to read and just see the opinions from a whole.

The thread like this is not a waste,at least it retells the story of head-fiers "trust your ears" and it make the people like me to come out and give a real world impression about the gear I love.

I hope you've found what you like soon

cheers

Jul 26, 2011 at 7:19 AM Post #83 of 133
Quote:
Here's another idea. Since you're not using the HM801 much, why not lend it to someone with sophisticated test equipment so they can take a full set of measurements? That might better explain what you're hearing. There are a few unknown test conditions in Markus Kraus's RMAA results. What were the absolute levels when they ran the tests? Are they even the same for the various devices tested? What model recorder/soundcard took the measurements? How was its mixer configured?

You can also lend the HM801 to someone with a Benchmark, Grace Design, or Lavry or some other well-measuring reference so that its headphone amp can be compared to popular portables like the iPhone 4 or the Clip+. Since you're not using the HifiMan, we can use it to advance the community's knowledge. We all want to know more of the truth, no?

This would be pretty awesome.

Jul 26, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #86 of 133
Jul 26, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #87 of 133
from my experience specs aren't everything, in fact from real life experience I prefer lesser speced equipment which is usually more pleasant to my ears.

Jul 26, 2011 at 10:16 PM Post #89 of 133

Quote:
from my experience specs aren't everything, in fact from real life experience I prefer lesser speced equipment which is usually more pleasant to my ears.

The common response when someone ignores the measured facts to justify their overpriced product. I've never once been impressed with anything HiFi Man has built. The IEMs are poorly designed in many ways and I'll never buy another.

Jul 27, 2011 at 1:24 AM Post #90 of 133
Quote:
The common response when someone ignores the measured facts to justify their overpriced product. I've never once been impressed with anything HiFi Man has built. The IEMs are poorly designed in many ways and I'll never buy another.

I thought the HE-5LE and HE-6 were quite good.  I've never tried their IEMs and I'm not impressed with the number on their DAPs though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back