Hifiman HM-801 sounds no better than my iPod Touch 3G...
Jul 27, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #106 of 133

Quote:
You say you want your gear to be as transparent as possible but I guarantee you that the iPod does NOT fit in that description by any established HiFi reviewer.

The iPod's measured behavior is better than many CD players—ironic, considering that most of the time it will be used to play MP3 and AAC files, which will not immediately benefit from such good performance. But if you're willing to trade off maximum playing time against the ability to play uncompressed AIFF or WAV files, the iPod will do an excellent job of decoding them. Excellent, cost-effective audio engineering from an unexpected source.—John Atkinson

Quote:

STEREOPHILE PRODUCT OF THE YEAR
The formal voting procedure consists of two steps: First, each of Stereophile‘s hardware reviewers is asked to nominate up to six components in each of the seven categories. To be a contender, a product had to have been reviewed in Stereophile between the November 2002 and October 2003 issues, in a full Equipment Report, a Follow-Up review, or in one of the regular columns by Sam Tellig, Art Dudley, John Marks, or Michael Fremer. That way, only those components could be nominated for which a writer had put his opinion in print for public scrutiny. We then put together a ballot form that lists all components nominated by three or more writers and/or editors. This process ensures that most of the nominees in most of the categories will have been auditioned by most of the reviewers.
Each of the magazine’s editors and reviewers gave three votes for his first choice in each category, two votes for his second choice, and one vote for his third choice (if any). JA tallied the votes; address complaints and compliments to him.
2003 Editor’s Choice: Apple iPod

you were saying ........

I don't really use my iTouch (*) much for music but just for a laugh I connected it (via its headphone socket, not line out) into my speaker system (Rotel 820AX amp and Wharfedale Delta 70 Speakers) I also connected my PC----USB--------Zero DAC - adjusted the volume levels and synchronized some J.S. Bach tunes (Art of Fugue - book 1)  running on both so I could switch between them quickly - imo the iTouch is pretty  good - fwiw - shrug

Jul 27, 2011 at 4:59 PM Post #107 of 133

Quote:
You say you want your gear to be as transparent as possible but I guarantee you that the iPod does NOT fit in that description by any established HiFi reviewer.  Most won't even look at the device and will laugh you off if you bring it up as a 'transparent source'.  People these days don't want transparent.  This is why the ESS9018, despite its VERY impressive specs (which you would love to post pictures of trust me, they're VERY impressive numbers. You like numbers) is not a very popular DAC for everyone as its too transparent and analytical and people want musical, not analytical. Most do anyway. Certainly the crowd that buys iPods which for the most part is still teens to 20 somethings, that listen with included iBuds or skull candies, they listen to pop and hip-hop and all they want is MOAR BASS! I'm not saying this is you, I'm saying this is the majority of the iPod market and thats who the player is tuned for.

So in conclusion, lot of people here say they want as transparent as possible, but if you actually listen to it with modern music (ie. digitally compressed, tuned for bass explosion, etc.) it sounds harsh and cold.  However if you load some classical 24bit 96khz recordings, you get eargasms.  But thats not everyone's choice.

Or think of yet another way: 

Pop, hip-hop, reggae, trance, dance, house, modern rock, alternative rock, metal, goth, electronic = you don't want transparent or hifi.  Lowfi will make this sound best.

Classical, Blues, Jazz, some very select metal albums, or anything that uses acoustic instruments and features no digital compression during mastering = you want as hifi as possible ,especially since this kind of stuff is actually available in 24bit 96khz.  In the portable realm, 801 is king for these styles. 

If my music, which the majority is digitally created is so lo-fi how come it sounds so much better through my Westone ES5's over my previous phones? How come the HM-801 can't do that? Hmmm. Also, there are 24 bit 96khz songs that have been digitally created with no acoustical instruments. Also, you said the iPod is tuned for teens who want over powering bass? If that's the case, why is the RMAA results for the iPod Touch better than the HM-801? Specifically the frequency response where the iPod is fairly neutral and the HM-801 is near muted in it's treble. The HM-801 seems like it was tuned for bass craving teens. Also, it's been proved there is no audible difference between 16 bit 44.1khz and 24 bit 96khz. For myself, I confirmed it was true by simply re-encoding my 24 bit 96khz files I bought from HD-Tracks into 16 bit 44.1khz and hearing absolutely no difference on my HM-801.

Jul 27, 2011 at 5:04 PM Post #109 of 133
Hah. Okay we're done here from this point on.  This is ignorance on a level which is causing me pain and its best that I part ways with this thread and opinions such as this.

Quote:
 Also, it's been proved there is no audible difference between 16 bit 44.1khz and 24 bit 96khz. For myself, I confirmed it was true by simply re-encoding my 24 bit 96khz files I bought from HD-Tracks into 16 bit 44.1khz and hearing absolutely no difference on my HM-801.

Jul 27, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #114 of 133

Quote:
Hah. Okay we're done here from this point on.  This is ignorance on a level which is causing me pain and its best that I part ways with this thread and opinions such as this.

Nothing but cold hard facts here. 
rolleyes.gif

Jul 28, 2011 at 4:58 AM Post #116 of 133
Jul 28, 2011 at 5:15 AM Post #117 of 133
Lets not go on "teen" level. It doesn't mean he doesn't like if he's selling it. I've sold lots of equipment I liked a lot but had to make way for other stuff to try out.

Jul 28, 2011 at 7:24 AM Post #119 of 133

Quote:
Point is, you do not sell equipment you love, that post says it all.

You have a long way to go in the audio world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back