Hifiman HM-801 sounds no better than my iPod Touch 3G...
Jul 28, 2011 at 10:52 AM Post #121 of 133
I've sold gear I liked. Fact is not everyone on here is rich enough to buy everything they want. Sometimes you have to sell stuff to help pay for things you need more or are more of a priority. Occasionally you're suddenly required to come up with a lot of money quickly due to unforeseen circumstances and you have to part with stuff you're loathe to sell.

I loved my S:Flo2 but sold it to help fund my Focal speakers, as I wasn't using portable stuff at all and wanted to complete my desktop rig. It was 'only' another £100 or so towards them, but every penny counted.

Jul 28, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #122 of 133
Quote:
Fascinating!

Thanks for the laugh.
tongue.gif

Jul 29, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #123 of 133
After some more extensive listening comparisons of my iPod Touch 3G and HM-801. Surprisingly, with songs that put a priority on the bassline, the HM-801's bass sounds a bit more clearer, defined and tighter than my Touch. Hmmm. Is that maybe because there is less treble and my brain is just focusing on the bass more?

Nov 11, 2011 at 12:00 PM Post #124 of 133
Hey Tronz, I don't mean to necro-bump, but I read in a recent post you realised that your 801 had some weird EQ settings enabled or something, and that after you disabled these your opinion of the player changed completely. Would you like to comment on how you feel about the 801 in this thread, and possible edit the original post for those who see this thread in searches etc? :p

Feb 9, 2012 at 10:38 PM Post #125 of 133

Quote:
Hey Tronz, I don't mean to necro-bump, but I read in a recent post you realised that your 801 had some weird EQ settings enabled or something, and that after you disabled these your opinion of the player changed completely. Would you like to comment on how you feel about the 801 in this thread, and possible edit the original post for those who see this thread in searches etc? :p

Yeah! That would be cool...

Feb 9, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #127 of 133

Quote:
Necro today like mad. I hope it doesn't pain anyone to know that, well, I've been enjoying nothing else but a gen 1 shuffle which has mysteriously resurrected from the dead.

In the words of Stephen King 'they come back, but they arent the same'.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pet_Sematary

When you consider the history of Manhattan, I'm betting Wall St sits on an ancient Native American burial ground. Explains a great deal, doesnt it ?

(Thread Police, cut me some slack - I'm taking all sorts of funny colored pills)

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #128 of 133
In the Tronz vs. Bojamijams war, I'm BJ all the way! Plus I'm getting ready to buy a HM-801 and I don't listen to Techno/Trance/Hip-Hop/Electronic, so yeah, I'd like to hear this is all a big misunderstanding because someone forgot to turn the EQ off
ksc75smile.gif

Feb 10, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #129 of 133
If the HM601 is any indication, trance isn't the best genre with this series. It is a WARM sounding player, and unless you like warm, throaty, slightly congested sounding trance, you may be put off here. The 601 at least, sounds great with Jazz, slower rock, live music on organic instruments. If you like space, clarity, a sense of speed, etc., the HM series is probably not the best choice. 

Quote:
In the Tronz vs. Bojamijams war, I'm BJ all the way! Plus I'm getting ready to buy a HM-801 and I don't listen to Techno/Trance/Hip-Hop/Electronic, so yeah, I'd like to hear this is all a big misunderstanding because someone forgot to turn the EQ off
ksc75smile.gif

Feb 10, 2012 at 6:45 AM Post #130 of 133
I still remeber the shocking feel when I first listen to HM801 (GAME) with my JH16. So much details and the sound is so well controlled (compared to my ipod). But I do find my other amp modules are overkill for my JH16.  I guess this happens everywhere. If it's not your taste, then it's not. Just like lots of people prefer LCD 2 over HD650.

Always get what you like:)

Feb 11, 2012 at 5:16 AM Post #131 of 133
I can't get myself to use my 801. It's just sitting there on my desk and hasn't been used for a long time. I love the way it sounds with my ue-18s but it's just the damn software that ruins the experience for me. I bet they haven't released any updates for it either. It's not even "portable", the battery dies out pretty quick. Mine still has the original amp module, and I've never tried the GAME, but I wonder, would it make a noticeable difference? I connect it to my Protector amp, and it sounds punchier, but that's about it. Adjusting the eq on the hifiman made everything sound better for me, but my take on enjoying music is adjusting it with eqs to please my ears. To hell with neutral sound unless you're working at a studio. Actually I'll take that back. I've been enjoying listening to my iPhone 4s with Apple's $80 in ear headphones with the eq off. 

Feb 11, 2012 at 4:54 PM Post #133 of 133

Quote:
If the HM601 is any indication, trance isn't the best genre with this series. It is a WARM sounding player, and unless you like warm, throaty, slightly congested sounding trance, you may be put off here. The 601 at least, sounds great with Jazz, slower rock, live music on organic instruments. If you like space, clarity, a sense of speed, etc., the HM series is probably not the best choice. 

Which is mostly what I'll use it for--slower rock, Americana, Bluegrass. I'm really looking forward to it. Probably should have gotten the 602 but didn't want to experience upgrade envy later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back