Hifiman HM-801 sounds no better than my iPod Touch 3G...
Jul 21, 2011 at 4:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 133
I never really done this test. Unfortunately, I realized I fell prey of placebo. I was able to tell that aftermarket " higher quality " cables were rip offs because after letting my TWag IEM cable burn in for the stated 300 hours I later returned it because I could hear no significant increase in sound quality over the stock cable to warrant the price. I actually thought my HM-801 sounded better than all of my other sources. It no doubt sounds better than my laptop because that is a very noisy source.

So, I ran a volume matched test by ears. I know it's not accurate but it's sufficient enough. When volume matched playing the same song ( FLAC and ALAC ) both devices unamped externally, the iPod Touch 3G has a more clearer and detailed sound that literally makes the HM-801 sound veiled and muddy in comparison. I know this is a perception caused by the treble roll off that the HM-801 has, but if it was so much superior I would still be hearing a more clearer and detailed sound than the iPod Touch 3G regardless of treble output. I really think that those who prefer the HM-801 over their other portable sources simply do so because of them listening to the HM-801 louder than their other sources or because they aren't used to a warm sound signature coming from a portable and therefore they immediately think it's better. It's ridiculous how they are selling so much of these rip offs. I can't return it, because I've had the unit for 4 months and the return policy is 30 days. Also, I won't sell it because I'll just be contributing to the rip off. * Sigh *
frown.gif

The headphones used were my Westone ES5's.

EDIT: My HM-801 player EQ settings were turned on somehow. Now, that I've disabled it, it sounds a lot better. But, I really don't like the treble roll off this player introduces.

Jul 21, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #2 of 133
Interesting. . . thanks for your impressions at least.

I don't think it takes a significant amount of money to get a good DAP that sounds better than bad integrated sound.

Jul 21, 2011 at 5:27 PM Post #5 of 133
No wonder a 3G Touch sounds better with a multidriver IEM. The Hifiman 18ohms output impedance grants that any multidriver IEM driven by it will show a pretty skewed frequency response since that device is too far from feeding the iem with an undistorted fr.

The love for the Hifiman is kind of esoteric since science does not back its performance (at least with balanced armatures)

This pretty much explains what the OP hears

http://www.markuskraus.com/RMAA/hm801/data.htm

Jul 21, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #7 of 133

Quote:
No wonder a 3G Touch sounds better with a multidriver IEM. The Hifiman 18ohms output impedance grants that any multidriver IEM driven by it will show a pretty skewed frequency response since that device is too far from feeding the iem with an undistorted fr.

The love for the Hifiman is kind of esoteric since science does not back its performance (at least with balanced armatures)

This pretty much explains what the OP hears

http://www.markuskraus.com/RMAA/hm801/data.htm

Thanks for that.

Jul 22, 2011 at 12:52 AM Post #8 of 133
Not surprised at all. All PMP's and DACs and chips and all sound virtually the same after a low quality/price point. The rest is driven by marketing, hype, and human perceptual illusions (which are VERY powerful and subtle as science has demonstrated over and over) maintained by placebo and expectation and even a stubborn refusal to admit that one has spent too much for nothing of worth.

I buy PMP's based on their features (like battery life and storage), looks, and hopefully stability/reliability, nothing more.

Jul 22, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #9 of 133
For what that thing cost, I would have no problem whatsoever selling it, if I was the OP. There are enough people out there that think that the HM-801 is all that and a bag of chips, go ahead and sell it to one of them....recoup some of the cost and buy your self something that you like.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 22, 2011 at 3:58 AM Post #11 of 133
Well if you compare it to some "portable" rigs that include an iPod a dac and an amp the HM-801 might be deemed as portable.

My definition of portable is iPod Classic + iBasso T3 both clipped to my belt. Is as much bulk as i'll ever take out. And i could live very happy just with my iPod Classic HPO and my UM3x.

Jul 22, 2011 at 9:13 AM Post #12 of 133
try some high impedance / low sensitive headphones and you will notice why HM801 sound much better. 

Jul 22, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #13 of 133

Quote:
I cant help but laugh when people classify the HM-801 as portable.

One of the things about photos on here is that they're invariably done macro-style and make things seem bigger than they are. When I first saw the Arrow amp in real life I had to laugh because it was much smaller than photos on here had me believe. I guess it depends on your definition of portable. The 801 isn't something that's going to fit in your trousers/pants (unless you're wearing cargos), but it's still portable in that it'll fit in a small bag and can be held in the hand, or a larger coat pocket. Indeed looking at the 'Show Us Your Portable Rig' thread, many people have set ups that clearly require something other than a trouser pocket.

I'm not a fan of stuffing my pockets, or think that strapping a small bag over your shoulder robs you of your masculinity, so portable to me is anything that can be carried comfortably and used without needing a place to set it up . 

Anyway, on topic. Interesting. I know for a fact, night and day, that my S:Flo2 was blatantly better than my iPhone 3GS (with the same mid-range IEMs) and would be supremely confident anyone else would be able to tell the difference themselves, as it wasn't subtle, it was obvious stuff, e.g. using a dubstep song with very low sub bass, it wasn't even audible on the 3GS but clear as day on the S:Flo2, less veiled sounding overall,bigger soundstage etc. Several other owners considered moving to the 601/602 an upgrade in SQ (e.g. Anaxilus), although they may be kinder to IEMs and IIRC many 801 owners who have IEMs use a portable amp as well (which is ridiculous given the 801 is meant to be an 'all in one').

Jul 22, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #15 of 133
I sometimes wonder...
If music files were EQ-ed (foobar) to make them sound "tubie" and "roll-off", will they sound even closer to certain high-priced player?
Tronz, you still have HM-801, can you try that on iPod Touch?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back