Hifiman HM-801 sounds no better than my iPod Touch 3G...
Jul 25, 2011 at 5:54 AM Post #46 of 133

Quote:

Here's an idea: bring an HM801, a Clip+, and an iPhone 4 to a lab that has a Benchmark, a Grace Designs, or a Lavry. Plug in your headphones and IEMs to their headphone amps and see which DAP sticks out.

That's in essence what I suggested the OP to do by trying both his Ipod and his HM 801 with an external amp.

Jul 25, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #47 of 133
what the thread starter said ,I can understand.
2-3 head-fiers friends of mine said ,they like IPOD Classic more than HM801.
At first I didn't understand,because I myself compared the HM801 with Whipmod+Whiplod ฑeference+stepdance for many hours and finally I just told myself,I like the HM801 more and after that I sold all the whipmod stuff and I can't imagine someone could like  Ipod Classic or Ipod touch alone  without any great amps or good cable more than the HM801,but It just happened, they said they like IPOD classic more..

by the way I used JH13 as I compared the rigs and 2 of the three guys ,who loved Ipod classic more than HM801 ,are using ES5. The other guy like JH5 more than JH16.
I'm a happy user of JH16 and HM801 :p

Jul 25, 2011 at 11:28 AM Post #48 of 133

Quote:

That's in essence what I suggested the OP to do by trying both his Ipod and his HM 801 with an external amp.

For the price of the HM-801, you shouldn't need an external amp.
Also, for the price of the HM-801, you could buy a new Touch and a nice external amp and the Equalizer app.

Jul 25, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #49 of 133

Quote:
Just to put things in perspective, with EQ off, I couldn't hear an obvious enough improvement between my $300 Sony X1050 and my $30 Sansa Clip+ to warrant the cost of the Sony so I sold it and use the Clip+ as my main DAP. I could however easily distinguish between my $60 Cmoy and my $300 Headstage Arrow, enough to warrant the cost of the Arrow and sold the Cmoy. Now I'm using a $30 player with a $300 amp and it sounds incredible to my ears. Point I'm trying to make is cost is unrelated to personal satisfaction. Try to keep your eyes and ears open and stay honest to yourself, even if you just spent $800 on a HM801 that sounds worse than your $100 iPod. Sell the HM801 because someone might hear the opposite of what you're hearing and will use that HM801 with $30 headphones. :wink:

Well Said. I use a 1k DAC and 1k headphones with a 100$ starving student amp. Tried more expensive amps but I just prefer this combo. Love it!

Jul 25, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #50 of 133
Mispost

Jul 25, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #51 of 133

Quote:
I bought the hm 602 and was shocked by it's lack of performance. I compared the line out with my iphone 3gs line out and the 602 failed miserably.  
I posted my concerns about lack of clarity/detail and plenty of fanboys where trying to convince me that the "nos" phillips dac was just so smooth that it 'gave the impression' there was litltle detail, while there actually was plenty. ie the smoothness was disguising the fidelity.
Needless to say I sold it straight away.

I have both 801/602. 801 is a very good sounding unit regardless the size. Whereas I much prefer ipod classic than hm602 which never sounds right to me. To me 602 has poor density and unbalanced sounding. 

Jul 25, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #52 of 133
First, until the OP posts a photo with him and the 801 I don't believe he has one but is just trolling]

Second, unless Tronz is Mother Theresa reborn, I REALLY don't believe he has an 801 because nobody would keep an $800 piece of equipment they hated.  Don't give us crap that you don't want to 'punish' some other user by selling him an 801.  You don't own it, you're just trolling

Third, trance seems to be your music of choice.  Except for Jazz, classical, blues and other genres which generally use unamped/undistorted music sources, the modern music and its production favors the Ipod-era digital sound as it smoothens out the sound of the digital compression and other modern era 'tricks' used to spice up the music.  Trance like 95% of heavy metal (My genre of choice) is recorded poorly and it in itself contains no high fidelity which the DAP/DAC could extract. 

Fourth, to people who claim that the 801 is not portable, you've either got tiny girly hands, tiny girly muscles or are quite the prima dona.

Fifth, just because YOU can't hear a difference doesn't mean there isn't one.  Not all ears are created equal.  A conductor for Metallica's S&M show could pick out one violin out of 27 that was out of tune.  Can you do that? Of course not. Thus, your ears aren't the same as everyones.

SIxth, stop trolling on the 801 because you can't afford it. 

Jul 25, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #53 of 133
I knew one of the HM801 fanboys would show up here to defend their pride and joy sooner or later.

Jul 25, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #54 of 133
Yeah I have to be a fanboy to disagree with the mob and its pitchforks. Good counter-agruments to my post btw. Oh wait, you didn't do ****.

Check the Head-Direct forum and see all the bitching I give Fang/Nankai about the lack of support of the 801 Firmware and its bugs.  Then see if I still classify as a fanboy.

Or maybe just try contributing something. Hell, getting an original name and/or an original avatar picture would be a start.  But I get it, its fun to be trendy and a hater.

Quote:
I knew one of the HM801 fanboys would show up here to defend their pride and joy sooner or later.

Jul 25, 2011 at 2:02 PM Post #55 of 133
The Hifiman HM-801 better be an exceptional dap so that i can just carry on dreaming about upgrading my ipod one day. 
beerchug.gif

Jul 25, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #56 of 133

Quote:
Yeah I have to be a fanboy to disagree with the mob and its pitchforks. Good counter-agruments to my post btw. Oh wait, you didn't do ****.

Check the Head-Direct forum and see all the bitching I give Fang/Nankai about the lack of support of the 801 Firmware and its bugs.  Then see if I still classify as a fanboy.

Or maybe just try contributing something. Hell, getting an original name and/or an original avatar picture would be a start.  But I get it, its fun to be trendy and a hater.

Original avatar picture? Like yours, which comes up on the top of page 2 in a Google image search under the term "vampire"?
rolleyes.gif

Jul 25, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #58 of 133
Yes you're right, your and my avatar are exactly the same level of trendy. Riiiight.

Also I checked out your headphones. Maybe when you own one thats worth more then $100, you'll be able to appreciate more then an ipod.

Quote:
Original avatar picture? Like yours, which comes up on the top of page 2 in a Google image search under the term "vampire"?
rolleyes.gif

Jul 25, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #60 of 133
Can we not let this thread devolve into personal attacks and name calling?

Please. Everyone just go listen to their favorite music for 10 minutes and come back.

Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back