HiFiMan HE4XX
Mar 20, 2019 at 7:11 AM Post #991 of 1,381
I tried M1060C that sounded metallic, thin & shrill, unbelievable :xf_eek:

A friend of mine compared that cheapo 560 from Adorama to 4XX and said that the former had more resolution but less bass.

Mar 20, 2019 at 7:44 AM Post #993 of 1,381
I think there is. I have been amp hunting over the last few months. I didn't really need the extra power but I was curious about a different sound. I thought I would start with bass boost, which are mostly just found in portables. First I bought the Topping NX3s. HUGE bang for the buck! Still curious, I bought the FiiO A5. A slight improvement over the Topping, to my ears. Still not really what I was looking for.

I came across a dealer selling Burson Fun amps with upgraded opamps for half price and I jumped on it.
I am now the very proud and very happy owner of a Burson Fun-Classic. It has improved all of my headphones from a sound perspective. Again, I don't listen super loud, but they have really brought the best out in all my headphones.

If you need an amp for out and about, the Topping or the FiiO will fill that purpose very nicely. For me, when I am on the run, I just use my LG V30 phone and Meze 99 Classic's. Great sound and more power than I will ever need.

Shane D
Shane,
Did you happen to upgrade the op amp in the NX3s? It’s sound profile is so much nicer.

Since you are so happy with the Burson Fun, they just ran a 48 hour sale and I purchased their Fun and Bang with classic V6 op amps too. Buddy, your making me spend too much money!

Mar 20, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #994 of 1,381
Shane,
Did you happen to upgrade the op amp in the NX3s? It’s sound profile is so much nicer.

Since you are so happy with the Burson Fun, they just ran a 48 hour sale and I purchased their Fun and Bang with classic V6 op amps too. Buddy, your making me spend too much money!

Wow! You really went all in. I love my Fun with Classic opamps. MassDrop was just selling the Classic Opamps. I am waiting for the Vivid's.

So, will you use the Bang to run speakers and the Fun as a pre?

I didn't play with the NX3s at all. The sound really didn't do anything for me and I don't really need a portable. I will likely be selling my NX3s, A5 and even the HE4XX's.

I am Really curious about the CFA Cascades and the Focal Elex. I would like to buy at LEAST one of these by Christmas. Perhaps both if I can find used.

Shane D

Mar 20, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #995 of 1,381
Wow! You really went all in. I love my Fun with Classic opamps. MassDrop was just selling the Classic Opamps. I am waiting for the Vivid's.

So, will you use the Bang to run speakers and the Fun as a pre?

I didn't play with the NX3s at all. The sound really didn't do anything for me and I don't really need a portable. I will likely be selling my NX3s, A5 and even the HE4XX's.

I am Really curious about the CFA Cascades and the Focal Elex. I would like to buy at LEAST one of these by Christmas. Perhaps both if I can find used.

Shane D
Yep. Fun as a preamp for the Bang in my garage. But still going to try the Fun for headphones even though I have a real nice tube amp.

Since I changed the op amp in the NX3s it seems I use it a lot for my IEMs and HE4XX. It is a much better sounding amp now. More laid back, warmer, wider, clearer and highs are tamed a little. I can listen through it for hours. If you don’t go portable I can see you getting rid of it. But if you don’t, PM me your address and I’ll send you a LT1364 op amp. I have a spare I can send you for free.

As for new stuff I have a set of Verum 1 planar headphones and Moondrop Kanas Pro IEMs coming soon. I’m hoping the Verums will be better than the HE4XX’s.

Cheers

Mar 20, 2019 at 10:45 AM Post #996 of 1,381
Yep. Fun as a preamp for the Bang in my garage. But still going to try the Fun for headphones even though I have a real nice tube amp.

Since I changed the op amp in the NX3s it seems I use it a lot for my IEMs and HE4XX. It is a much better sounding amp now. More laid back, warmer, wider, clearer and highs are tamed a little. I can listen through it for hours. If you don’t go portable I can see you getting rid of it. But if you don’t, PM me your address and I’ll send you a LT1364 op amp. I have a spare I can send you for free.

As for new stuff I have a set of Verum 1 planar headphones and Moondrop Kanas Pro IEMs coming soon. I’m hoping the Verums will be better than the HE4XX’s.

Cheers

I think the best set-up would be an SS amp AND a tube amp. I am very interested in adding the Loxjie P20 as my headphones are very efficient.

Thanks for your kind offer, but I am up in . Plus I don't want to scratch it up as it will be moving along.

I have heard the Verum name. I think I am going to give up on Planars. The HE4XX's and the Oppo PM3's both underwhelmed me over the long haul. Both were great at first, but...

I can't do the IEM's thing.

Shane D

Apr 14, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #997 of 1,381
Still debating on grabbing a pair of these suckers for school usage. These look more practical than my Audeze LCD-2CB's.

Apr 15, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #998 of 1,381
Still debating on grabbing a pair of these suckers for school usage. These look more practical than my Audeze LCD-2CB's.
I love mine and I'm not even a Planar guy I own only these and the original 400 but prefer these .
I think they along with the 6XX and the 58X are really great bang for buck

Apr 15, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #999 of 1,381
HE4xx’s are open back headphones so everybody around you will hear what you’re listening to. Externally they are louder than the Sennheiser‘s. In the evening I will be in the living room listening to music and my wife will complain in the bedroom when she’s trying to go to sleep. Just keep that in mind if you listen to music loud and use use hifiman planars.

Apr 21, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #1,000 of 1,381
s-l640.jpg

Has anyone tried a comfort strap on your HE-4XX ?
The only discomfort I find is the headband and I saw this on eBay and was curious

Apr 21, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #1,001 of 1,381

Cheers

So, how is the Fun working out for you?

Shane D

Apr 22, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #1,002 of 1,381

The only discomfort I find is the headband and I saw this on eBay and was curious

I had a look at this on ebay-looks like a good idea but would like to see a bit more detail on its installation and how it actually feels on the head.

Wonder if anyone does indeed have any experience with it on the 4XX or one of its siblings. The 4XX headband does get a little uncomfortable at times.

This gave me the idea to try an HD600 headband pad I have and see if it provides some comfort in the "crown" area. Those 600 pads can be attached with a few rubber bands to see if they work.

Apr 22, 2019 at 12:51 AM Post #1,003 of 1,381

I went with the ZMF Pilot Pad. It works great. However I have to run the ear cup yokes to max extension to reach my ears properly. But very comfy. The original HE4xx rubbed my pointy head too much so I had to do something.

Apr 24, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #1,004 of 1,381
So, how is the Fun working out for you?

Shane D
Shane, The Burson Fun works well. I wasn't real impressed with it initially when listening with the HE4XX headphones, However, the new Verum One Planars sound really good on it. The Verum One headphones had a defective left channel input socket, that I just replaced. Since I have them torn apart I'm going to roll pads with Mr. Speakers Alpha Pads, and remove some of the damping material on the grills. I then think they will sound really amazing on the Burson Fun Classic. But I have an alternate plan for the Burson Fun anyway; it's going to be the preamp for the Burson Bang in my Garage/Shop. Thanks for the rec.

P.S. I recently ordered a set of Beyerdynamic DT177X Go headphones from Massdrop, so I'll be interested about how they sound on the Fun.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #1,005 of 1,381
Shane, The Burson Fun works well. I wasn't real impressed with it initially when listening with the HE4XX headphones, However, the new Verum One Planars sound really good on it. The Verum One headphones had a defective left channel input socket, that I just replaced. Since I have them torn apart I'm going to roll pads with Mr. Speakers Alpha Pads, and remove some of the damping material on the grills. I then think they will sound really amazing on the Burson Fun Classic. But I have an alternate plan for the Burson Fun anyway; it's going to be the preamp for the Burson Bang in my Garage/Shop. Thanks for the rec.

I found it good with most headphones, but magical with my Grado's.

I didn't find it anything special with the HE4XX's, but I do have to dig them out and give them another try.
I just got a Loxjie P20 hybrid amp and will have to try the HE4XX's with this rig too.

Shane D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back