1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

HiFiMan HE4XX

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by ProtegeManiac, Aug 2, 2017.
First

Back
55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64
66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75
Next

Last
  1. Earl of Bouillon
    While they do take a a little bit above what you'd expect to drive for a 32 ohm, its not that much. I can easily get them loud with a FiiO E10k on low gain.

2. hsdrggr
    Maybe it’s just me but I feel the HE4xx has decent bass. But I did notice that their bass improves substantially when using a sufficient amp. I’ve gone through 5 different amps and based on my listening preference, spec wise they need to have rated output around 500mw at 32ohms to drive the HE4xx to good volume levels with good resolution. If the amp has a balanced output option going to balanced cables is good too. Most phones don’t have that level of output. My favorite amp to use with the HE4xx is the Topping NX3s, on hi gain with bass switched on, and it only costs $66 on amazon. Oh yeh, swap out the stock op amp with a LT1364 op amp. The amp then Sounds sooooo good.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2019
  3. penguinofsleep2
    Tried this in a laptop 3.5mm jack with an unknown Sound Blaster card (2017 laptop), a Shanling M0, Massdrop CTH, Meier Corda Rock ff, an ifi amp I can't recall right now, a Woo amp I can't recall right now, a Liquid Platinum, and 1 or 2 other amps I can't recall right now.

Long story short, IMO there was a very noticeable difference between say the M0 or laptop w/ unknown source going up to the Corda Rock ff or CTH. There was a difference but not as much going from there to the LP or Woo. Not saying the above amps are perfect synergy, just that you need at least some level of "enough" amp.

trellus likes this.
  4. hsdrggr
    I was using a FIIO Q1 Mk2 in balanced mode which had just slightly more power than the E10k and yes it could get the HE4xx loud but when I switched to a amp with twice the milliwatts output the HE4xx’s came alive. Much better resolution and definitely thicker and punchier bass.

5. Earl of Bouillon
    Which amp would you recommend under $150?

6. Lurk650
    It's tube but the Little Bear B4-X is solid and works great, a crap ton of power (450mW, though doesn't differentiate between if that's balanced or single out).

I know a lot of people love Topping amps

7. hsdrggr
    58DE61E6-60D9-4F28-9A39-595EFB55BFFF.jpeg 461D9118-A9BF-4C68-B8BB-66ED13F87615.jpeg
    I have both Little Bears, and Topping NX4 DSD, and NX3s. To me the Topping NX3s is the clear winner. Even better when you replace the op amp with a LT1364 op amp. I use it with my IEMs as well as my cans. It is a very versatile amp. And for $66 definitely no complaints.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    trellus likes this.
  8. Earl of Bouillon
    Is there much worth getting a full sized desktop amp compared to the portable ones?

9. hsdrggr
    The NX3s is an amp only and doesn’t have a built in dac. For a desktop amp typically you want a dac/Amp so you can use the usb out from the PC or Mac. For my desktop amp/dac I use a RSA Intruder. But it’s pretty expensive. There are many other dac/Amps that are less expensive. In my opinion a good one that works as a portable and desktop amp and doesn’t break the bank is the Xduoo XD-05. It can be found for less than $200, and will power pretty much every headphone out there sufficiently. Just realize it’s bigger and heavier. That’s why I belt-clip the NX3s.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  10. turbomustang84
    After removing the outer sound deadening material from the grills and washing off the glue that holds it in place it really expanded the feel of openness on the 4XX.

It also sounds amazing with the Geshelli Labs Enog2 paired with the Archel Pro especially when listening to Qobuz Hi Rez Tracks .

I grab the 4XX over all other Headphones I have most of the time .

They are truly amazing for the money

hsdrggr likes this.
  11. Theabs
    How did this affect the bass response?

12. turbomustang84
    I really did not notice much of a difference in Bass response it just made it sound like I was listening in a larger room with a slightly more dynamic sound .

I did try them when the grills were off and that did not sound right to me.

I am actually quite pleased with them now

13. Shane D
    I think there is. I have been amp hunting over the last few months. I didn't really need the extra power but I was curious about a different sound. I thought I would start with bass boost, which are mostly just found in portables. First I bought the Topping NX3s. HUGE bang for the buck! Still curious, I bought the FiiO A5. A slight improvement over the Topping, to my ears. Still not really what I was looking for.

I came across a dealer selling Burson Fun amps with upgraded opamps for half price and I jumped on it.
    I am now the very proud and very happy owner of a Burson Fun-Classic. It has improved all of my headphones from a sound perspective. Again, I don't listen super loud, but they have really brought the best out in all my headphones.

If you need an amp for out and about, the Topping or the FiiO will fill that purpose very nicely. For me, when I am on the run, I just use my LG V30 phone and Meze 99 Classic's. Great sound and more power than I will ever need.

Shane D

trellus likes this.
  14. bagwell359
    I find that the 4XX don't scale up as much as some cans: HE-6, HE-500, HEX V2, HE-5LE. Even the Senn HD-600 scales more. But they do scale a bit. With a potent amp with good damping the bass gets more authority, but not much flatter. There isn't a lot under 50 Hz, but there is quite a bit from there thru the low mids.

I like them with the rears screens replaced with 1/2" grills, and some use made of felt and dynamat. Haven't used an EQ on them, but it might even them out.

I use them with a FiiO X3 when on the move outdoors and they object less than my other cans to that amp.

15. Lurk650
    Where did you put the dynamat? I got a ton left over from my car

First

Back
55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64
66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75
Next

Last