Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Mar 15, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #14,341 of 14,638
A headphone cable is balanced when there is a separate ground for each channel. Does that answer your question?
Haha - I was going to say 2 of them equals stereo, 1 - mono.....Only joking of course but it was a valid question that I didn't understand at the start, as everyone said that 3.5 is SE and 4.4/xlr is balanced. SO 2 x 3.5 would still equal SE, but no. ANd it's ok @fidgeraldo, I've been in the hobby a bit now and still don't understand half of it haha!!!

Mar 15, 2024 at 5:27 PM Post #14,344 of 14,638
Hmm...I was thinking about headphone sockets when they are 3.5 mm...
how can I connect the cable with a 3.5 mm dual jack and balanced XLR end?

3.5 mm jacks are always unbalanced?
A balanced audio cable is a completely different beast than a balanced headphone cable. They do share common connectors but the principle is vastly different.

Mar 15, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #14,345 of 14,638

No as @rwelles was saying. 3.5mm headphone cable can be balanced with change in internal wiring.

dual 3.5mm to 6.3mm = single ended always
dual 3.5mm to xlr = balanced

Only exception is if amp is single ended wired but has option for xlr headphone output.

But 95%, dual 3.5mm to xlr is balanced connection.

Does this make sense?

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 5:33 PM Post #14,347 of 14,638

I think you’re confusing the amp end with the headphone end. The balancing happens at the amp end, the headphone connectors (3.5mm, 2.5mm, 2-pin, mini XLR, etc), as long as there are two of them, can be whatever style the manufacturer has decided they’d be for their headphones.

Mar 15, 2024 at 5:36 PM Post #14,348 of 14,638
Does this make sense?
Completely, if I buy finished cables, they are obviously made as balanced, as you said, rewired.
I have to trust they are. :)
But in my case...I guess I can't buy these L-shaped adapters and connect balanced cable...just SE 6.3 mm or 3.5 mm.

Even though these 3.5 mm have four poles, I heard that they are not wired as balanced and that the fourth pole is just for the mic.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #14,349 of 14,638
I think you’re confusing the amp end with the headphone end.
That's for sure.
I am not at home with this, but you probably misread what I wanted:
adapters with a 3.5 mm male on one side and a 3.5 mm female on the other side.

Adapter...not cable :)

Perhaps I should have been more direct in the beginning.
I wanted a few more insights, and I got them. It's clearer now.

But actually, my question is.., are these 3.5 mm adapters balanced?

L shape connector.png

Cheers!

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 5:43 PM Post #14,350 of 14,638
That's for sure.

I think i'm in over my head at this stage. BUT, you can make a balanced HP cable into single ended with an adapter but you CANNOT go the other way.

So xlr-6.3mm adapter is ok

6.3mm to XLR is not ok when talking headphone cables.

Mar 15, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #14,351 of 14,638
That's for sure.

Perhaps I should have been more direct in the beginning.
I wanted a few more insights, and I got them. It's clearer now.

But actually, my question is.., are these balanced?

Cheers!
Things are getting more confusing for me now haha

Where do you want to plug these into? Are they going to stick out from the headphones themselves? Or do you have a 3.5mm terminated headphone cable (on the amp end) and you’re hoping that by plugging in an adaptor or will make the cable balanced?

Also yes, what @andrewchoppa said :)

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2024 at 6:07 PM Post #14,352 of 14,638
Or do you have a 3.5mm terminated headphone cable (on the amp end) and you’re hoping that by plugging in an adaptor or will make the cable balanced?
Damn...Verum has those 90-degree f++++ sockets, and I am thinking of buying a new cable, perhaps balanced...
Since I am following this thread, headphones I want in the future...I was thinking I would ask you guys for help :)

It's not cable an issue...it will be easy to buy one if I can be sure if these adapters are SE or balanced...
I know it's not gonna happen...they are probably SE...but I hoped that they could be balanced :ksc75smile:

Mar 15, 2024 at 6:17 PM Post #14,353 of 14,638
Damn...Verum has those 90-degree f++++ sockets, and I am thinking of buying a new cable, perhaps balanced...
Since I am following this thread, headphones I want in the future...I was thinking I would ask you guys for help :)

It's not cable an issue...it will be easy to buy one if I can be sure if these adapters are SE or balanced...
I know it's not gonna happen...they are probably SE...but I hoped that they could be balanced :ksc75smile:
Ok i get you now. And Verum are very good cans for their price!!! I own a few $2k+ cans (aud) and I am thinking of getting myself a pair. I heard them recenyly and was quite impressed. So you mean a right angle 3.mm adapter/extender for each headphone jack so it straightens the cord?

https://www.titanav.co/products/titan-av-1-4-right-angle-trs-stereo-jack-black-gold-plated?currency=AUD&variant=40598992847057&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&stkn=cda15a4acc0f&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pmaxcables&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw48-vBhBbEiwAzqrZVAMCQucBArOS9YdPjKpiXYiLUGA0gp7_PGGIiqCwh3aeE4Yweuul8RoCwIkQAvD_BwE

Something like this in 3.5mm??

Mar 15, 2024 at 6:22 PM Post #14,354 of 14,638

My suggestion is to avoid adapter altogether if possible, there will always be signal loss in one way or another, imho it kind of defeat the purpose for buying a hi-res headphone like H1000 series, I am actually thinking of selling my modular hart audio cables for this reason.

Mar 15, 2024 at 6:25 PM Post #14,355 of 14,638
Something like this in 3.5mm??
Yes...but if possible, on the other side with female 3.5 mm...it seems to me that this one is DIY :)
And again...Yes, Verum is stunning for the price and more...I bought two pairs :)
How hard is it to connect wires internally?

I see you have JM XTC...another pair on my wish list. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back