Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Feb 17, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #9,781 of 14,627
I’m prettty sure he is referring to the 800S and the alleged increased bass distortion. As an owner of the 800S, I don’t hear it, and I don’t believe it. I lean towards Jude’s measurements being more accurate...but I don’t want that debate to spill over in this thread so to everyone in the other camp YMMV.

Nope... both the HD800 & HD800S. Jude has put to rest the increased bass distortion urban myth on the HD800S pretty soundly.

Feb 17, 2018 at 3:21 PM Post #9,783 of 14,627
From my limited listening session with both headphones I think both HEK v2 (also HEK v1) and Utopia are excellent. I would rank them both around 9.6/10.(He-1000 v1 maybe 9.5/10) I can see someone would prefer HE-1000 over Utopia and vice versa. As with every headphone both need properly synergetic rig. Utopia is forward sounding /immediate in (upper) midrange and probably can be a bit too energetic or fatiguing for longer listening on some forward sounding DAC/amp combos. In my opinion HEK v1 and v2 are more relaxing cans vs Utopia. However I would not call them too relaxing or overly soft. On Hifiman EF-6, both HEKs sounded smooth, refined and dynamic too me. Of course YMMV.
Regarding headphone guru site I can see TonyNewman points but I do not agree that this site is just praising everything deliberately. I´ve seen couple of reviews on headphone guru which were more or less OK. (e.g. pointing the good and the bad for HE-400i). In my opinion with higher end stuff it is also more difficult to find shortcomings and you need to have quite serious (usually big money) point of reference. Of course the best is to listen and judge with our own ears. None reviewer can supply that.

Feb 17, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #9,784 of 14,627
Well, I jumped on a used single-owner pair of HEK v2 without having heard them first. *gulp* But I trust the premium over the HEX v2 will be worth it.

Feb 17, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #9,785 of 14,627
Well, I jumped on a used single-owner pair of HEK v2 without having heard them first. *gulp* But I trust the premium over the HEX v2 will be worth it.

You’ve made a good choice. You’ll soon be the owner of some magnificent headphones. Plus, I saw what you bought them for and you got a great deal. Congrats!

Now you have to post your impressions once you get them!

Feb 17, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #9,786 of 14,627

Congrats! They are fantastic headphones and one of the very best!

Feb 17, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #9,788 of 14,627
Changing gears how does the Burson soloist better then shiit juteheim for the hek v2

I reckon that would be more of a side grade than an upgrade.

Feb 17, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #9,789 of 14,627

I think you will be VERY happy with the step up . I have the HEKv1 and I had a listen to the HEX thinking it would be something similar to the HEK.
Wow what a shock that was , you have made a major step up

Feb 17, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #9,790 of 14,627
I think you will be VERY happy with the step up . I have the HEKv1 and I had a listen to the HEX thinking it would be something similar to the HEK.
Wow what a shock that was , you have made a major step up

I agree. I was shocked when I first heard the HEX after hearing the HEK. There are so many people on here that claim they’re close but I don’t get it. What are they hearing that I’m not? They’re worlds apart to my ears.

Feb 17, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #9,791 of 14,627
You're good. I know personal preferences come into play all the time, but I like HEKv1 and v2 more than Susvara. Listened to v2 and Susvara back-to-back in the same session, driven by the same amp (AudioGD HE9), went back to the v2 every time.

Feb 18, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #9,792 of 14,627
Finally got around to swapping the v2 pads onto my HEKv1. Not huge changes, but they were definitely noticeable. The soundstage seems a bit more focused and the bass is punchier. Their also seems to be a slight bump in clarity and possible treble quality. I'll have to switch back again to double check. Comfort wise I don't notice much difference. Then again I've always found the HEK's to fit me incredibly well. I can wear them for very long sessions with no issues.

Feb 19, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #9,793 of 14,627
Finally got around to swapping the v2 pads onto my HEKv1. Not huge changes, but they were definitely noticeable. The soundstage seems a bit more focused and the bass is punchier. Their also seems to be a slight bump in clarity and possible treble quality. I'll have to switch back again to double check. Comfort wise I don't notice much difference. Then again I've always found the HEK's to fit me incredibly well. I can wear them for very long sessions with no issues.

I recently did the same as well, and my findings are very similar to yours. However, I found comfort to be the biggest difference for me.
I have a smaller head, and the HEKv1 with v1 pads always felt like they didn't apply enough side (clamp) pressure to keep the headphones securely on my head with minimal movement. With the v2 pads, the extra thickness is noticeable, and I feel like the headphones are more secure.

Aside from the comfort being a big plus, I wouldn't go back to the v1 pads because the v2 pads make a large enough positive difference to my ears. A great pair of cans made even greater with a simple pad change!

Feb 19, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #9,795 of 14,627
Thanks for your answer I use the mojo as a dac with the Jotunheim as just an amp it sounds great but feel there has to be better in that price range
Total price 1000 any suggestions that is dac And amp

If your budget is $1000, I would spend that on an amp, and continue to use the Mojo as your DAC. If you split $1000 between DAC and amp, I don't think you would beat the Mojo's performance with $500 odd dollars. Do you want a tube amp or a solid state amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back