Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Feb 19, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #9,796 of 14,627
Just had one channel (left) go out on my HEK v2 (reversed the cable; it's the cans). Very sad...

Feb 19, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #9,798 of 14,627
Thanks, @TonyNewman!
It's complicated...I bought the HEK v1 when it first came out, but was a winner this past March of the "free upgrade" program (thanks again, Hifiman). So, the v2 is less than a year old. But I don't have a sales receipt. Complicated. Hope it works out OK, tried contacting Team Hifiman as the first step. (just another bummer in a long day full of bummers...in fact, it is one of the least significant of the day's bummers. But, this too shall pass...)

Feb 19, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #9,799 of 14,627
I feel your pain. I would be pretty crapped out if a HEKv2 driver died on me.

So far I have been very fortunate - no driver failures on any headphone I have owned while i had it. I had a Utopia that I didn't like and sold it - a few weeks later the new owner had a driver die on him. Bad luck indeed.

Feb 19, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #9,800 of 14,627
Best wishes, @doctorjazz , on getting this issue resolved. That is indeed a Real Bummer! I’m pulling for you!

Feb 19, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #9,802 of 14,627
I actually think it is the connector to the cable .. Occasionally souso comes back for a second witw a jiggle (but mostly it is dead). IllI see what happens on Hifiman's part

Feb 19, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #9,803 of 14,627
I feel your pain. I would be pretty crapped out if a HEKv2 driver died on me.

So far I have been very fortunate - no driver failures on any headphone I have owned while i had it. I had a Utopia that I didn't like and sold it - a few weeks later the new owner had a driver die on him. Bad luck indeed.

You state in your signature that you modded your V2s. May I ask what you did to them and how it affected the sound? Thanks.

Feb 19, 2018 at 10:49 PM Post #9,804 of 14,627
You state in your signature that you modded your V2s. May I ask what you did to them and how it affected the sound? Thanks.

I ported them. If you google "HEKV2 Feilian Port Mod" you will get all the details.

I did a very simple version - just used a small strip of rubber washer to make the port opening. I don't see how the precise shape of the port opening matters - the goal is to break the seal so the driver can move more freely. An opening is an opening in my mind.

IMHO it improves the HEKv2 significantly. I suggest giving it a try - it is reversible.

Feb 19, 2018 at 11:01 PM Post #9,805 of 14,627

I ported them. If you google "HEKV2 Feilian Port Mod" you will get all the details.

I did a very simple version - just used a small strip of rubber washer to make the port opening. I don't see how the precise shape of the port opening matters - the goal is to break the seal so the driver can move more freely. An opening is an opening in my mind.

IMHO it improves the HEKv2 significantly. I suggest giving it a try - it is reversible.

Interesting, thanks for the info.

Feb 21, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #9,806 of 14,627
If USPS is on time for once, I'll get my new HEKv2 headphones (with Norne Audio Silvergarde cable) by tomorrow afternoon. :o2smile: I'm excited to test it against its little brother HEXv2 before I send that one back.

Feb 21, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #9,807 of 14,627
If USPS is on time for once, I'll get my new HEKv2 headphones (with Norne Audio Silvergarde cable) by tomorrow afternoon. :o2smile: I'm excited to test it against its little brother HEXv2 before I send that one back.

I will look for your impression. After I gave up Sundara, I am still in search of an openback can...

Feb 21, 2018 at 11:38 PM Post #9,808 of 14,627

I'd really like to hear your take on what the HEX sounds like with the Silvergarde cable. I'm waiting to hear back from Trevor about ordering one..

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 10:54 AM Post #9,809 of 14,627
USPS is lame. I was ready to rush home tonight after work, but my package won't arrive until tomorrow afternoon. :grimacing:

Feb 22, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #9,810 of 14,627
I will look for your impression. After I gave up Sundara, I am still in search of an openback can...

Hmm...you're planning on going from Sundara to HEKv2? That's quite a jump. Lots of open-back headphones to choose from in between those two.

What didn't you like about the Sundara?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back