Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Feb 17, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #9,766 of 14,665
Bright, forward, edgy mess of a headphone with a treble peak to drill your skull. Tiny sound stage and not very comfortable compared to the HEKv2/HD800S.

To each their own. I understand that we all hear things a little differently and have different preferences.

Utopia was a big disappointment for me, but I get it that other folks might like it.

Yeah, your comments are very rare based on most users/reviewers feedback. It's like you're describing the HD800 with regards to treble??? Heck, I found the SR-009s brighter too (and I certainly don't consider them "bright"). Definitely not the case with the many Utopias and setups I've heard over the past year +. There is no treble peak in the dozen pairs that I've used or with my pair, plus every measurement I've seen also bares this out. They've won many awards because they're simply the most balanced headphones I've heard, with a good sound stage, pin point location and VERY comfortable (but that depends on the user). The HE1000V2 is a very different headphone and I love them too. A laid back and more open presentation that can really suck you in.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #9,767 of 14,665
There's a bit of talk about HEK sounding soft and I can see where that can arise from. I think for most amps particularly through single ended with that are considered lower powered amps or lower ended gain type amps would sound a bit like there's not enough forwardness(at least in comparison to some of the headphones out there) after you've driven it out something heftier.

I realized this after driving it out of Bryston BHA-1 balanced. I initially thought it was easy to drive, but now I see that's not really the case. It takes a decently hefty amping to reach a point when the sound becomes more forward or take on the characteristics of punchy in a sense. Something like balanced on a greater powered amp like the level of the Bryston should be tried to know how it can sound with ample power/gain.

I'm not stating that the drivability is in the difficulty level of HE-6(probably the most difficult next to Susvara?), but it is one of the least easy to drive a bit under the level of HE-6. Probably not to the point of going for speaker taps, but something with enough heft(or gain). One may not realize this with various amps due to it sounding fine even if not sufficiently powered.

Initially, I drove it out of Mojo, which does have enough power, and can drive it good enough for it sound like it's "properly driven," but one may not realize that HEK can take on more stronger characteristic if you use a stronger amp. Mojo can be a source that one may enjoy as the Mojo's characteristics softens the harshness of treble to some degree(I totally understand it as I was perfectly happy with the sound directly out of the Mojo). I know HEK has a reputation for soft characteristic, and out of the Mojo, you'd think this would be definitive.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2018 at 1:25 AM Post #9,768 of 14,665
Yeah, your comments are very rare based on most users/reviewers feedback. It's like you're describing the HD800 with regards to treble??? Heck, I found the SR-009s brighter too (and I certainly don't consider them "bright"). Definitely not the case with the many Utopias and setups I've heard over the past year +. There is no treble peak in the dozen pairs that I've used or with my pair, plus every measurement I've seen also bares this out. They've won many awards because they're simply the most balanced headphones I've heard, with a good sound stage, pin point location and VERY comfortable (but that depends on the user). The HE1000V2 is a very different headphone and I love them too. A laid back and more open presentation that can really suck you in.

I much prefer the treble on the modded HD800 or HD800S over the Utopia. For the rest of it, I will just repeat that the Utopia didn't do it for me. YMMV.

Feb 17, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #9,769 of 14,665

I agree with Tony and his impresssions mirror mine. But saying the Utopia are balanced because they’ve won several awards is a very weak qualifier. The original Sennheiser 800 also won numerous awards and yet look at or listen to that treble peak!!! And then the 800S gets more hate than the 800 and I think it’s more balanced and way closer to neutral. But at the end of the day, we all hear things differently and we all have our preferences.
Anyway, back to the HEK because that headphone deserves all the praise it has garnered.

Feb 17, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #9,770 of 14,665
I agree with Tony and his impresssions mirror mine. But saying the Utopia are balanced because they’ve won several awards is a very weak qualifier. The original Sennheiser 800 also won numerous awards and yet look at or listen to that treble peak!!! And then the 800S gets more hate than the 800 and I think it’s more balanced and way closer to neutral. But at the end of the day, we all hear things differently and we all have our preferences.
Anyway, back to the HEK because that headphone deserves all the praise it has garnered.

Not really a weak qualifier for me when I was part of the Headphone.Guru team that selected them for an award based on their merits. Not to mention the countless others. We also gave the HE1000 an award as BOTH headphones can be great at the same time. That is possible folks. Again, the measurements don’t bare out your comments. They are simply the best performing dynamic headphones to date. The HD800 was the king and the HD800S fixed some of the issues, but the dynamic king has been usurped.

As well, the HD800’s won all kinds of awards because at the time of their release, they were revolutionary. But I’m the past 8 years, the competition has caught up and in some cases, surpassed them.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2018 at 10:33 AM Post #9,771 of 14,665
I much prefer the treble on the modded HD800 or HD800S over the Utopia. For the rest of it, I will just repeat that the Utopia didn't do it for me. YMMV.

You can prefer the Beats, that’s all well and good, but objectively speaking, the sound signature you mentioned is not balanced and comes with significantly more distortion. But as I said, you can prefer anything you like.

Feb 17, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #9,772 of 14,665
You can prefer the Beats, that’s all well and good, but objectively speaking, the sound signature you mentioned is not balanced and comes with significantly more distortion. But as I said, you can prefer anything you like.

The same goes for you. YOU can prefer any headphone you like, but your opinion doesn’t mean squat to me, in terms of the Utopia, as I’ve heard both, too. Opinions only matter before you’ve heard the headphones. And so has Tony and many others, and we all think the HEK trounces the Utopia.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2018 at 10:52 AM Post #9,773 of 14,665
The same goes for you. YOU can prefer any headphone you like, but your opinion doesn’t mean squat to me as I’ve heard both, too. And so has Tony and many others, and we all think the HEK trounces the Utopia.

Hearing both is a start. Having extensive experience with both on multiple rigs over a long time is more meaningful IME. I don’t know what gear, conditions, and time allotment you’ve had. But ultimately, everyone should listen for them self and decide.

I have both with me for over a year and both are in my top 5 of all time. As said, it is possible for both to be great at the same time. But the initial comments were so far from my extensive use of these headphones and essentially every suseqent measurement I’ve seen, I couldn’t square that circle.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #9,774 of 14,665
I have both with me and both are in my top 5 of all time. As said, it is possible for both to be great at the same time. But the initial comments were so far from my extensive use of these headphones, I couldn’t square that circle.

Fair enough. I’m glad you like them. I wish I did, but I don’t. I find them as harsh as the 800 but without the soundstage. Everyone’s ears are different.

Feb 17, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #9,775 of 14,665
Fair enough. I’m glad you like them. I wish I did, but I don’t. I find them as harsh as the 800 but without the soundstage. Everyone’s ears are different.

Again, this is the thing I can’t square, I’ve owned the HD800 since its release and this is far from both my experiences and literary every measurement I’ve seen. This my conundrum.

Feb 17, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #9,776 of 14,665
Again, this is the thing I can’t square, I’ve owned the HD800 since its release and this is far from both my experiences and literary every measurement I’ve seen. This my conundrum.

So the 800, unmodded, is never sibilant and/or sharp to your ears? That’s interesting, because there are literally hundreds of posts on this site, alone, of people whose ears are being wrecked by that treble peak. And that peak IS MEASURABLE and is very apparent with frequency graphs. An interesting conundrum for sure.

Either way, I believe you. Like I said, everyone’s ears and hearing are different.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #9,777 of 14,665
So the 800, unmodded, is never sibilant and/or sharp to your ears? That’s interesting, because there are literally hundreds of posts on this site, alone, of people whose ears are being wrecked by that treble peak. And that peak IS MEASURABLE and is very apparent with frequency graphs. An interesting conundrum for sure.

Either way, I believe you. Like I said, everyone’s ears and hearing are different.

No, I'm saying they can be bright and sharp and the Utopia are fairly far away from this and the HE1000V2 further still.

Feb 17, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #9,778 of 14,665
No, I'm saying they can be bright and sharp and the Utopia are fairly far away from this and the HE1000V2 further still.

Ok thanks for clarifying. I guess some people are more treble sensitive than others. And some people are sensitive to peaks in other areas, like upper mids. But graphs and hearing can be controversial, still. I got into a debate on another thread with a guy who was calling the Z1R a neutral can! This hobby is never boring.

Feb 17, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #9,780 of 14,665
What are you referring to on "significantly more distortion"? Modded HD800?

I’m prettty sure he is referring to the 800S and the alleged increased bass distortion. As an owner of the 800S, I don’t hear it, and I don’t believe it. I lean towards Jude’s measurements being more accurate...but I don’t want that debate to spill over in this thread so to everyone in the other camp YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back