Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Jan 20, 2018 at 3:20 AM Post #9,751 of 14,653
Not sure if it has been reported/covered before but does anybody have some feedback about first two offers for HEK v2 on amazon.co.uk ? I mean on this page: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00Y9XT3SE/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new ?
First offer is HE-1000 v2 for 1594 £ (import fees included) the seller is amazon.us and the second offer is HE 1000 v2 for 1980 £ (including VAT, the seller is in-earcom) The first deal is reportedly for UK customers only, while the second deal is without delivery restrictions. Are these offers legitimate or suspicious ? Headphones are marked as brand new and for HE-1000 v2 version (for both deals) which is usually sold at 2599£ /2999$/2999€ or more.
Thanks

Looks interesting. The first quote's seller is Amazon.com, so should be safe in most respects. But when you follow the link to the actual Amazon.com site, you end up with a HEK V1 at $1,795, which matches on price, but not on version number. Elsewehre on Amazon.com is a HEK V2 at $2,999 which is the full list price. So, either this really is a great deal for UK, or more likely, Amazon.co.uk have got their wires crossed and are really selling the V1 version.

Edit: I've flagged a potental product misinformation with amazon.co.uk - will awaittheir reply.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 3:31 AM Post #9,752 of 14,653
I have ported my HEKv2, based on the Feillian mod, but doing it in a much simpler way. To my mind, an air gap is an air gap is an air gap.

Results so far have exceeded my expectations - very pleased with the improved SQ - particularly the treble which did sometimes present as somewhat splashy and a touch rough. Porting seems to have smoothed out the top end a tad.

Are there other HEKv2 owners out there who have tried the porting mod and would like to share their results?

What was your actual mod?

I've already reported on my mods. It's now hard for me to compare before/after for the original Feillian mod, but I can easily A/B compare my Glasses Port mod and stand by my initial comments that this further improved SQ, particularly by extending the soundstage depth forward of my head - it may only be a few mm, but it does make the end result more emmersive. I'd go further to say that the Glasses port mod effect is actually greater than the Feiillian mod in terms of soundstage.

I've since tried simulating the glasses mod with various bits of tiny sticks and tubes and cannot get the same effect. So I assume that the exact details matter here and I happen to have got lucky with the particular thin shape of my glasses frame. One day, I may add another washer at the same location in front of my ears, but in no rush to do that - every time I take those pads off, I wonder if any of the flimsy looking plastic connectors will break.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #9,753 of 14,653
What was your actual mod?

I've already reported on my mods. It's now hard for me to compare before/after for the original Feillian mod, but I can easily A/B compare my Glasses Port mod and stand by my initial comments that this further improved SQ, particularly by extending the soundstage depth forward of my head - it may only be a few mm, but it does make the end result more emmersive. I'd go further to say that the Glasses port mod effect is actually greater than the Feiillian mod in terms of soundstage.

I've since tried simulating the glasses mod with various bits of tiny sticks and tubes and cannot get the same effect. So I assume that the exact details matter here and I happen to have got lucky with the particular thin shape of my glasses frame. One day, I may add another washer at the same location in front of my ears, but in no rush to do that - every time I take those pads off, I wonder if any of the flimsy looking plastic connectors will break.

I used a small section of a thin rubber washer to create an air gap in the position of the Feillian mod. Kinda crude, but it works just fine.

I won't be removing the pads or touching the holding screws again if I can help it. I could easily imagine breaking something if I messed about too much.

Jan 20, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #9,754 of 14,653
Looks interesting. The first quote's seller is Amazon.com, so should be safe in most respects. But when you follow the link to the actual Amazon.com site, you end up with a HEK V1 at $1,795, which matches on price, but not on version number. Elsewehre on Amazon.com is a HEK V2 at $2,999 which is the full list price. So, either this really is a great deal for UK, or more likely, Amazon.co.uk have got their wires crossed and are really selling the V1 version.

Edit: I've flagged a potental product misinformation with amazon.co.uk - will awaittheir reply.

Yes both deals seemed to be for HE-1000 v1. Anyway the second deal ( HEK for 1980 £ from in-earcom) is no longer valid anyway. ( Actual information from the contacted seller). At the moment HEK v2 is available only from 2599£.
Thanks.

Feb 16, 2018 at 3:32 AM Post #9,755 of 14,653
Hello,

I would like to buy the HE-1000 v2 and begin to think about an amp to paired.

Budget is around 1000 dollars used and lean towards a neutral maybe a bit warm combo with flat frequencies

Feb 16, 2018 at 7:24 AM Post #9,756 of 14,653
Hello,

I would like to buy the HE-1000 v2 and begin to think about an amp to paired.

Budget is around 1000 dollars used and lean towards a neutral maybe a bit warm combo with flat frequencies
Aurilac Taurus II... there is one on headfi for $800.
MicroZOTL... there is one that was listed on headfi for I think $875.
HiFiMAN EF-6...I have one likely to sell for $800, once my Schiit Mjolnir arrives next week.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 7:46 AM Post #9,757 of 14,653
IMG_20180214_214616.jpg
This is still my favorite desktop setup at all times. Really look forward to any new challenger in 2018. :)

Feb 16, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #9,758 of 14,653

This is still my favorite desktop setup at all times. Really look forward to any new challenger in 2018. :)
Wow... this answers my question about whether the Mjolnir 2, which I am ordering for my balanced Grados, will do justice to my HE1000 v.1... this is a firm YES! Thanks!

Feb 16, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #9,759 of 14,653
I would like to find out more about the differences between the HEXv2 and the HEKv2. Could someone point me to a comparison thread? Head-Fi search results didn't really provide very good links to the information I'm looking for.

If someone who has heard (or owned) both could summarize succinctly the differences between the two, that would be great. Is the HEKv2 more involving? How is the sound signature different between the two? Is the treble less soft on the HEKv2 than on the HEXv2? How much harder is it to drive the HEKv2 than the HEXv2? Is the weight difference very noticeable? Is the HEKv2 worth the premium over the HEXv2?

Thanks in advance!

Feb 16, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #9,760 of 14,653
I would like to find out more about the differences between the HEXv2 and the HEKv2. Could someone point me to a comparison thread? Head-Fi search results didn't really provide very good links to the information I'm looking for.

If someone who has heard (or owned) both could summarize succinctly the differences between the two, that would be great. Is the HEKv2 more involving? How is the sound signature different between the two? Is the treble less soft on the HEKv2 than on the HEXv2? How much harder is it to drive the HEKv2 than the HEXv2? Is the weight difference very noticeable? Is the HEKv2 worth the premium over the HEXv2?

Thanks in advance!

This is easy. The HEK v2 blows the HEX v2 out of the water in every way in terms of sound. Coming from the HEK first, I couldn’t have been more disappointed in the HEX. The HEX has too much mid bass that bleeds into the mids and distracts from the highs which are already subdued compared to the HEK. The HEX has a smaller soundstage and just doesn’t have that “special” quality to it. The HEX is easier to drive and the comfort is equal between them. But in terms of the sound, it’s not even fair. The HEK’s are very neutral and balanced with the best sub bass I’ve ever heard from an open back. Their mids are liquid, accurate, and not recessed at all. They may have the best mids I’ve ever heard. The highs are perfect to my ears and only sibilant if it’s in the track. The HEK also might have the best tone and timbre I’ve ever heard. Everything sounds natural and a good live recording transports you to the venue. I made a mistake and sold my first pair to get funds to try other headphones. It was the biggest mistake I made in 2017. It took me 2 1/2 months to get the funds to buy them again. In my opinion, the only complaint you could make about the HEK is that the mid bass is not as punchy as other TOTL cans. But I like clarity so it doesn’t bother me. It’s not light like the Sennheiser 800, but it’s not a dynamic attack either.
I’ll be honest. I returned the HEX v2’s within 3 days of owning them because I was so disappointed. I know there are some on this forum who make the claim that they’re close in sound, but I vehemently disagree. Strenuously disagree. I would take the he560 over the HEX v2. I wouldn’t take the Utopia over the HEK v2. My two cents.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #9,761 of 14,653
This is easy. The HEK v2 blows the HEX v2 out of the water in every way in terms of sound. Coming from the HEK first, I couldn’t have been more disappointed in the HEX. The HEX has too much mid bass that bleeds into the mids and distracts from the highs which are already subdued compared to the HEK. The HEX has a smaller soundstage and just doesn’t have that “special” quality to it. The HEX is easier to drive and the comfort is equal between them. But in terms of the sound, it’s not even fair. The HEK’s are very neutral and balanced with the best sub bass I’ve ever heard from an open back. Their mids are liquid, accurate, and not recessed at all. They may have the best mids I’ve ever heard. The highs are perfect to my ears and only sibilant if it’s in the track. The HEK also might have the best tone and timbre I’ve ever heard. Everything sounds natural and a good live recording transports you to the venue. I made a mistake and sold my first pair to get funds to try other headphones. It was the biggest mistake I made in 2017. It took me 2 1/2 months to get the funds to buy them again. In my opinion, the only complaint you could make about the HEK is that the mid bass is not as punchy as other TOTL cans. But I like clarity so it doesn’t bother me. It’s not light like the Sennheiser 800, but it’s not a dynamic attack either.
I’ll be honest. I returned the HEX v2’s within 3 days of owning them because I was so disappointed. I know there are some on this forum who make the claim that they’re close in sound, but I vehemently disagree. Strenuously disagree. I would take the he560 over the HEX v2. I wouldn’t take the Utopia over the HEK v2. My two cents.

Wow, that's pretty definitive. Thanks for sharing your feedback.

Feb 16, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #9,762 of 14,653
Wow, that's pretty definitive. Thanks for sharing your feedback.

You are welcome. I forgot to answer how hard they are to drive. Neither is that hard, but the HEX v2 is obviously a lot easier. It’s not that the HEK v2 is “hard” to drive, but they scale so well that the better your chain, the better they sound. But you’re very limited with the HEX because too much power will make them distort. I can drive the HEK v2 just fine with a Dragonfly Red and my iPhone, but they will sound better and with an even larger soundstage with better gear. And speaking of soundstage, I also own the 800S and have compared them side by side. Honestly, they’re very close. I’d give the edge to the 800S but they’re VERY CLOSE. The Utopia (sorry not a fan) sound like closed back headphones next to either the 800S or HEK.

Feb 16, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #9,764 of 14,653
Utopia was the most over-rated headphone of 2017 in my book. Very disappointing. HEKv2 is a much better headphone IMHO, even more so once the HEKv2 is ported.

Not in mine...top 5 headphone for sure (with the HE1000V2 that is).

Feb 16, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #9,765 of 14,653
Not in mine...top 5 headphone for sure (with the HE1000V2 that is).

Bright, forward, edgy mess of a headphone with a treble peak to drill your skull. Tiny sound stage and not very comfortable compared to the HEKv2/HD800S.

To each their own. I understand that we all hear things a little differently and have different preferences.

Utopia was a big disappointment for me, but I get it that other folks might like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back