Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Mar 23, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #2,701 of 14,704
Fong was trying to 'beat' the ES sound with his new flagship, perhaps the Abyss offers a different sound which is down to preference rather than levels/degree of ability in certain sonic contexts. The former is 'better' to showcase as it can be classed as more objective.

Either that, or as you hint, the Abyss does some thing(s) better, which they don't want highlighted at the demo. Bass, and perhaps mids (when driven with the right amp/dac).

maybe fhey cldnt afford the abyss. its quite pricey afterall :wink:

Mar 23, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #2,702 of 14,704
Well... how hard can it be to move a nanometer thin driver? :D.

Yeah right, 1nm thick membrane ... I bet it's more like 500-1000x that figure :). In any case, it's irrelevant once you add the copper traces...

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:41 AM Post #2,703 of 14,704

Yes, a fancy, expensive watch is, beneath the surface, fundamentally, basically, and essentially a luxury item that is unnecessary to tell time with. The fact that it happens to tell time is beside the point. Watches are also literally jewelry no matter how you look at it. A fancy watch that has gone beyond the original intended purpose of being a timepiece becomes primarily jewelry in comparison to a basic watch that performs the same function of telling time, but isn't flaunted as a testament to one's opulence.

But you don't wear the watch if it stops working. So beneath the surface, fundamentally, basically, and essentially it is a timepiece

Mar 23, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #2,704 of 14,704
  But you don't wear the watch if it stops working. So beneath the surface, fundamentally, basically, and essentially it is a timepiece

well, if your rolex stops working... it is no longer a timepiece. do you throw it away at that point? If it no longer functions as a timepiece, does it no longer have any value? is its value due to the fact that it is a timepiece?

If fundamentally a rolex is only a timepiece, then when it loses its fundamental function, it should become worthless. That is why I believe a rolex is actually fundamentally, basically, and essentially a piece of jewelry as it retains its value despite not working as a timepiece.

:)

Mar 23, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #2,706 of 14,704

yep

well, if your rolex stops working... it is no longer a timepiece. do you throw it away at that point? If it no longer functions as a timepiece, does it no longer have any value? is its value due to the fact that it is a timepiece?

If fundamentally a rolex is only a timepiece, then when it loses its fundamental function, it should become worthless. That is why I believe a rolex is actually fundamentally, basically, and essentially a piece of jewelry as it retains its value despite not working as a timepiece.

:)

nope. your rolex remains a time piece even when it fails to keep time. this could be because you forgot to wind it or replace the battery. if it's broken then you get it repaired, just as you would for any other device that you use and value. does a car cease to be a car when it runs out of fuel or breaks down?

a rolex is an expensive and desirable watch but it's still "beneath the surface, fundamentally, basically, and essentially" a time piece. that's its function, just as a bugatti is still a car.

ok? :wink:

Mar 23, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #2,707 of 14,704
Let's get back on topic, guys.

(And, yes, if you hadn't already figured it out, I done pruned this thread into something tidier, so don't go mussin' it up.
wink.gif
)

Mar 23, 2015 at 10:58 AM Post #2,708 of 14,704

I think we need a section called, "No! *I* want the last word!" - then all of these types of thread-jacking arguments can go on and on ad nauseum.

heh... sorry for going so off-topic. just bored waiting for more he1k news. honestly cldnt care less abt that debate. just playing around. sorry for the silly posts.

Mar 23, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #2,712 of 14,704
  Let's get back on topic, guys.

(And, yes, if you hadn't already figured it out, I done pruned this thread into something tidier, so don't go mussin' it up.
wink.gif
)

Finally a voice of reason. 

To the pissing contest members - stop it please.  No one wants to read about watches or fashion opinions here! 

Mar 23, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #2,713 of 14,704
  I want more Abyss vs HE1K comparions, as i was about to buy an abyss when i saw this news.

More head to head comparisons :D

As soon as I can get a pair in the UK I'll be doing that comparison, but I'm sure others in the industry will get their hands on them sooner.

Mar 23, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #2,714 of 14,704

As soon as I can get a pair in the UK I'll be doing that comparison, but I'm sure others in the industry will get their hands on them sooner.

​Great, looking forward to reading about this comparison specifically. I'll postpone my purchase of Abyss till Christmas time, that should give enough time for some head-to-head comparisons. Already reserved a LAu which I should get around nov. Question is, whether I pair it with Abyss as planned, or HE1K

Mar 23, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #2,715 of 14,704

​Great, looking forward to reading about this comparison specifically. I'll postpone my purchase of Abyss till Christmas time, that should give enough time for some head-to-head comparisons. Already reserved a LAu which I should get around nov. Question is, whether I pair it with Abyss as planned, or HE1K

If you've not paid for the LAu already, do give the Moon 430 a listen. Like the LAu, it's a beast. It's a more musical amp, so it depends entirely on your sonic preferences.

Abyss/HE1K + LAu/430 - any combination of those is a win anyway :¬)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back