Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Mar 22, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #2,687 of 14,798
Yeah would definately be helpful. Good to know that the HE-1000 won't be as impossible to drive as the HE-6, guess they've made significant strides over the past few years in terms of headphone technology

Mar 23, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #2,688 of 14,798
a watch can be worn as jewellery but that isn't what it is - "essentially". its essential purpose/function is to keep time regardless of its styling and how it's worn.

same goes for your beats example - it is "essentially" a headphone adorned with jewels. but if it doesn't function as a headphone then it isn't one or it's broken or it could be mistaken for opulent ear muffs.

so you're not right on this occasion kid
wink.gif

i'm going to have to side with @Music Alchemist on this one & respectfully disagree. while the basic function of expensive watches & beats are telling time and playing music respectively, their primary purpose is to serve as a status symbol/fashion statement. Just like expensive cuff-links or ties or expensive rims on your car. While they do serve a basic function cuffing, collaring, or wheel protection, their primary purpose & the reason you are spending so much money on them is to serve as a fashion statement.

let us please continue this fascinating argument for a few more pages. not like any real he1k impressions happening right now

Mar 23, 2015 at 12:43 AM Post #2,690 of 14,798
Alright, everyone, here is a preview of my upcoming headphone power requirements thread.

(I know there have been similar threads, but mine will be more comprehensive.)

(By the way, the numbers are the same whether it's 50 or 60 ohms.)

Mar 23, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #2,691 of 14,798
Yes, you did, and blatantly so. If you hadn't, you would agree with me, because you would have agreed with my point, which you clearly did not get, due to erroneously assuming that there was only one possible meaning for the word "essentially". It's simple.

definition of essential from the Oxford dictionary: "absolutely necessary; extremely important
fundamental or central to the nature of something or someone". think it's clear that the meaning of the word is narrower than you think and unlikely to include jewellery. :wink:

i challenged what you said is all. my posts speak for themselves and i'll leave it for other folks to judge if i my assumption was "erroneous" and if i set out to "blatantly" misrepresent" you or not. they're totally over it anyways and so am i.

Mar 23, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #2,692 of 14,798
  Alright, everyone, here is a preview of my upcoming headphone power requirements thread.

(I know there have been similar threads, but mine will be more comprehensive.)

(By the way, the numbers are the same whether it's 50 or 60 ohms.)

hate to put a damper on your spirits, but you realize this has been done already?

http://www.audiobot9000.com/

no too exotic ridiculous priced gear on that list, but frankly, I think that's a good thing. includes the normal flagships.

Mar 23, 2015 at 12:48 AM Post #2,693 of 14,798
  hate to put a damper on your spirits, but you realize this has been done already?

http://www.audiobot9000.com/

no too exotic ridiculous priced gear on that list, but frankly, I think that's a good thing. includes the normal flagships.

Oh, snap, I knew about that site, but didn't realize that it also listed the target SPL requirements. Oh well.

Mar 23, 2015 at 1:03 AM Post #2,694 of 14,798
definition of essential from the Oxford dictionary: "absolutely necessary; extremely important
fundamental or central to the nature of something or someone". think it's clear that the meaning of the word is narrower than you think and unlikely to include jewellery.
wink.gif

i challenged what you said is all. my posts speak for themselves and i'll leave it for other folks to judge if i my assumption was "erroneous" and if i set out to "blatantly" misrepresent" you or not. they're totally over it anyways and so am i.

Examples of essential in common usage! :)

"The essential theme uniting all pricey luxury items is their extreme value mark-up over similar items performing the same basic functions for the purpose of acting as a status symbol or fashion statement. The improvement in the performance of these luxury items over the basic functionality does not linearly scale with price tag, or often appeals to an esoteric value, or even sometimes provides no actual improvement in performance besides aesthetics. Therefore, one may assume that the essential function that these luxury items provide, the essential feature that one is paying for when purchasing these items, is unrelated to the original basic function of the item. Unfortunately, the essentials of this argument may be lost upon some."

Mar 23, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #2,695 of 14,798
fundamental or central to the nature of something or someone". think it's clear that the meaning of the word is narrower than you think and unlikely to include jewellery.
wink.gif

Yes, a fancy, expensive watch is, beneath the surface, fundamentally, basically, and essentially a luxury item that is unnecessary to tell time with. The fact that it happens to tell time is beside the point. Watches are also literally jewelry no matter how you look at it. A fancy watch that has gone beyond the original intended purpose of being a timepiece becomes primarily jewelry in comparison to a basic watch that performs the same function of telling time, but isn't flaunted as a testament to one's opulence.

Also, this is just a matter of common sense. People say things like, "It's essentially" or "It's basically" all the time to refer to things that are like something. It is not always to be taken literally, at face value, but instead something that you actually think about.

"He's essentially a Samurai." can refer to someone with martial arts skills, even if he is not a literal historical Samurai.

"It's essentially a lawn ornament." can refer to a car that sits on the lawn instead of being driven.

And endless other examples...

Beyond this, the essence of something is not always what it appears to be. It also depends on context. I am highly educated and know exactly what I am talking about.

I clicked "click to show" to respond to this, because I have blocked you and will no longer reply to any of your derogatory posts.

Mar 23, 2015 at 1:55 AM Post #2,696 of 14,798

SO

Is anyone who was in the market for a 009 or Abyss going to go ahead with their purchase without bothering to wait and see what the HE-1000 is like?
I suspect 009 and Abyss sales have dropped a bit recently so people can be sure they're making the right decision.

Interests me how they demo the HE-1000 next to electrostats and not the obvious competitor - the Abyss - the only other summit fi single sided planar on the market - I mean, they don't even need to bring a separate amp...  Maybe they are lacking confidence...

Mar 23, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #2,697 of 14,798
...- the Abyss - the only other summit fi single sided planar on the market -....

My inner OCD has been triggered and I am compelled to point out that the HE1000 is not single sided - it is 2 sided.

The magnet arrays are asymmetrical and on both sides of the diaphragm.

Mar 23, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #2,698 of 14,798
Examples of essential in common usage! :)

[COLOR=878787]"The essential theme uniting all pricey luxury items is their extreme value mark-up over similar items performing the same basic functions for the purpose of acting as a status symbol or fashion statement. The improvement in the performance of these luxury items over the basic functionality does not linearly scale with price tag, or often appeals to an esoteric value, or even sometimes provides no actual improvement in performance besides aesthetics. Therefore, one may assume that the essential function that these luxury items provide, the essential feature that one is paying for when purchasing these items, is unrelated to the original basic function of the item. Unfortunately, the essentials of this argument may be lost upon some."[/COLOR]

hmm. i get that there are luxury versions of these things but they still have a practical function to perform no matter how basic it is. otherwise wouldn't they just be expensive ornaments? anyways...

Yes, a fancy, expensive watch is, beneath the surface, fundamentally, basically, and essentially a luxury item that is unnecessary to tell time with. The fact that it happens to tell time is beside the point. Watches are also literally jewelry no matter how you look at it. A fancy watch that has gone beyond the original intended purpose of being a timepiece becomes primarily jewelry in comparison to a basic watch that performs the same function of telling time, but isn't flaunted as a testament to one's opulence.

Also, this is just a matter of common sense. People say things like, "It's essentially" or "It's basically" all the time to refer to things that are like something. It is not always to be taken literally, at face value, but instead something that you actually think about.

"He's essentially a Samurai." can refer to someone with martial arts skills, even if he is not a literal historical Samurai.

"It's essentially a lawn ornament." can refer to a car that sits on the lawn instead of being driven.

And endless other examples...

Beyond this, the essence of something is not always what it appears to be. It also depends on context. I am highly educated and know exactly what I am talking about.

I clicked "click to show" to respond to this, because I have blocked you and will no longer reply to any of your derogatory posts.

we're not gonna agree about this are we? :wink:

and you're referring to figures of speech which can diverge (sometimes erroneously) from the literal meaning - just saying

anyhoo, sorry you feel that way about my posts. i'll try to ignore you too in future.

peace out

Mar 23, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #2,699 of 14,798
Yeah would definately be helpful. Good to know that the HE-1000 won't be as impossible to drive as the HE-6, guess they've made significant strides over the past few years in terms of headphone technology

Well... how hard can it be to move a nanometer thin driver? :D.

Mar 23, 2015 at 5:24 AM Post #2,700 of 14,798

SO

Is anyone who was in the market for a 009 or Abyss going to go ahead with their purchase without bothering to wait and see what the HE-1000 is like?
I suspect 009 and Abyss sales have dropped a bit recently so people can be sure they're making the right decision.

Interests me how they demo the HE-1000 next to electrostats and not the obvious competitor - the Abyss - the only other summit fi single sided planar on the market - I mean, they don't even need to bring a separate amp...  Maybe they are lacking confidence...

Fong was trying to 'beat' the ES sound with his new flagship, perhaps the Abyss offers a different sound which is down to preference rather than levels/degree of ability in certain sonic contexts. The former is 'better' to showcase as it can be classed as more objective.

Either that, or as you hint, the Abyss does some thing(s) better, which they don't want highlighted at the demo. Bass, and perhaps mids (when driven with the right amp/dac).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back