Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
May 21, 2024 at 2:04 PM Post #14,702 of 14,743
But I saw the opinion of Headfier, who chose Mjolnir 3 (with Dave and Mscaler). Do you mean the unique synergy between Mentor and HEKS?
That combo of DAC and sampler is far more than just 4 times the price. But the point is that Mentor is indeed above MJ3 in terms of sound stage and details. I got both amp, but I don’t have Dave and Mscaler. I suspect the Mentor would do much better on such DAC since the details you get out of the Mentor is an entire grade above MJ3.

Last edited:
May 24, 2024 at 5:06 AM Post #14,703 of 14,743
Hi guys, any thoughts on cleaning the leather head band? Mine is starting to darken and I'd rather keep it clean than let it get worse. Thanks.

May 24, 2024 at 5:30 AM Post #14,704 of 14,743
That combo of DAC and sampler is far more than just 4 times the price. But the point is that Mentor is indeed above MJ3 in terms of sound stage and details. I got both amp, but I don’t have Dave and Mscaler. I suspect the Mentor would do much better on such DAC since the details you get out of the Mentor is an entire grade above MJ3.

So I’ve been A/Bing the MJ3 and the Mentor and I thought I’d drop in some thoughts. I make no pretence to being able to properly review equipment, this is all my opinions and reactions. I won’t be saying anything anyone else hasn’t said. My interest is I generally prefer class A, and these are both similarly price, highly reviewed units that really go all out.

My chain is PC/ CD > MScaler and Dave > MJ3/Mentor > Meze Elite

The soundstage on the Mentor is incredible. So wide, so much separation between instruments, just the biggest I’ve heard. The MJ3s soundstage is good, but not this good. However, I do find vocals on the Mentor are further away than I’d like, and the MJ3 puts things closer and where I like them.

The Mentor’s detail is precise, clear and crisp. Neutral and excellent. At no point unpleasant. The MJ3 has detail, but there’s a definite house sound. Same with timbre and tone. The Mentor is clean, but the MJ3 has a richness that attracting and comfortable.

I feel these are both really good amps, and its down entirely to what you want from them. The Mentor is a technical marvel which will reproduce what your DAC can give it. The MJ3 has a definite house sound, and it’s a closer beast to my previous MHA200 than it is the Mentor. For me the MJ3 has a sense of life that the Mentor, while wider and deeper, instead has a forensic quality. I appreciate the Mentor, but I prefer the MJ3 as a daily amp. In a crude sense, science vs art. I do wonder whether other headphones will change these conclusions, I am unsure, but the plan is to give it a bit longer and consider selling the Mentor.

May 25, 2024 at 7:07 PM Post #14,705 of 14,743
Hi guys, any thoughts on cleaning the leather head band? Mine is starting to darken and I'd rather keep it clean than let it get worse. Thanks.
My pair is developing the same issue. ZMF recommends Mohawk products for their leather pads, so I was thinking of getting these wipes from Amazon.

May 26, 2024 at 12:52 AM Post #14,706 of 14,743
Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 1:22 AM Post #14,707 of 14,743
In case you haven't seen it, Wavetheory's latest video confirms that he still rates the HEKSE just above the much vaunted Tungstens, which is good to know for those of us who considered ordering them but gave up due to the huge wait and power requirement.

May 27, 2024 at 2:27 AM Post #14,708 of 14,743
In case you haven't seen it, Wavetheory's latest video confirms that he still rates the HEKSE just above the much vaunted Tungstens, which is good to know for those of us who considered ordering them but gave up due to the huge wait and power requirement.

I suggest waiting for other reviewers, unless you have the exact dac/amp setup. His reviews are skewed towards mid fi headphones and HiFiman cans. I end up disagreeing with most of his reviews so I stopped watching.

May 27, 2024 at 2:52 AM Post #14,709 of 14,743
I suggest waiting for other reviewers, unless you have the exact dac/amp setup. His reviews are skewed towards mid fi headphones and HiFiman cans. I end up disagreeing with most of his reviews so I stopped watching.
As you can see from my equipment, I'm mid-fi and a Hifiman fan so they're usually relevant to me and I like his style. Definitely not dissing the Tungstens, just nice to have someone I respect confirming my choice.

May 28, 2024 at 10:52 AM Post #14,711 of 14,743
Last edited:
May 28, 2024 at 6:40 PM Post #14,712 of 14,743
Not sure about zmf but I tried these on my he1k stealth and they seemed to add a little body to the bass and mids and tame the highs just a bit

They’re good for a different flavor

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3862261683...ar=653768092113&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
You must realize that ZMF got their pads made in China too. I wouldn’t be surprised if their supplier decides to sell their pads online for cheap. This is unfortunately a common practice in China.

The only way to prevent this is to have “official protection” which is only allowed to domestic Chinese companies. They have to pay bribes or fees to the government to keep bootleggers from selling their stuff so they get this neat logo on their item on online sellers like taobao.

Last edited:
May 28, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #14,713 of 14,743
You must realize that ZMF got their pads made in China too. I wouldn’t be surprised if their supplier decides to sell their pads online for cheap. This is unfortunately a common practice in China.

The only way to prevent this is to have “official protection” which is only allowed to domestic Chinese companies. They have to pay bribes or fees to the government to keep bootleggers from selling their stuff so they get this neat logo on their item on online sellers like taobao.
They do look exactly like ZMF pads to my eye- anybody see any differences? Could pad roll all 4 options for the price of one set of ZMF pads.

May 28, 2024 at 8:21 PM Post #14,714 of 14,743
They do look exactly like ZMF pads to my eye- anybody see any differences? Could pad roll all 4 options for the price of one set of ZMF pads.
My take on the ZMF pad rolling difference is due to their depth and materials. The ZMF pads are inherently thinner than stock pads. People using them will likely get a stronger sense of mid and bass because your ears are physically closer to the driver. The materials give it a different feel which affects wearing comfort and thus affect their psychoacoustic perception.

I’ve tried pad rolling on Susvara and SJY starry night v2. The weight drop from a thinner pad affects wearing comfort and sound perception by a lot even if it’s a fraction of a gram.

Last edited:
May 28, 2024 at 9:44 PM Post #14,715 of 14,743
My take on the ZMF pad rolling difference is due to their depth and materials. The ZMF pads are inherently thinner than stock pads. People using them will likely get a stronger sense of mid and bass because your ears are physically closer to the driver. The materials give it a different feel which affects wearing comfort and thus affect their psychoacoustic perception.

I’ve tried pad rolling on Susvara and SJY starry night v2. The weight drop from a thinner pad affects wearing comfort and sound perception by a lot even if it’s a fraction of a gram.
Well thats unfortunate. If anything Id want the pads a bit thicker. Are the different foam materials used more comfortable despite being thinner or less so? Bigger problem for me is any shorter and my ears will be touching and i dont want that.

What about Dekoni? Any other options?

I would like some thicker for comfort reasons, wouldnt mind a touch more bass , either, as long as I don't lose that magical treble or any details.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back