Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Aug 26, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #13,351 of 14,704
I was actually worried about the source chain being the issue. Definitely the Schiit Jotunheim 1 is something I'd consider bright 9 times out of 10. In fact, I did go out of my way to buy a Lyr+ in desperate hopes it would improve things and to make sure I my ears aren't going crazy. It did end up improving things somewhat, but the sibilance and overall brightness and airy character were still there regardless of tubes I had tried. Maybe the Bifrost Multibit is more sibilant than I take it granted for, or maybe Schiit in general isn't a great pairing? To be clear, I should say the brightness wasn't piercing at all, just overall elevated, yet smoothed, throughout the frequency range. Maybe my 31 yo ears were more sensitive to the 10+ KHz range (though I can't hear beyond 16 KHz)? I've heard the Ananda Stealth V2, Stealth V3, and Nano, and less refined treble is something of a staple for them, whereas I could definitely tell there was way more refinement on the HekV2's end.

Unfortunately, I decided that either I wasn't ready for the HE1000V2 enough to appreciate it or that maybe I needed some kilobuck level source equipment to get the most out of it. Either way, I could see this being a rabbithole that I wasn't financially prepared without access to any audiophile friends with different equipment or ears. I've since returned them in fear that I was just going to sink more money than I was financially comfortable with. The HE1000V2 had been my dream headphones, mainly relying on the anecdotal experience of everyone else here, but blind buying bit me in the butt.

As an aside, I do know of the difference volume, even so much as 1 dB can make. I do the best I can to compare everything as close to what I perceive to be the same volume as possible. I'm only human, so it's still possible that the volume differences were still enough to make the difference.
Chiming in to say this us the right move. If a headphone half the cost is doing it for you stick with it. Then when you get upgraditis consequentially in a few years you'll have plenty to grow into.
Even audiophiles with endgame end up in a cycle of sidegrading eventually.
Save your money, maybe the he-1000's not for you but a new hifiman gen and competition will always come down the line

Aug 26, 2023 at 9:01 PM Post #13,352 of 14,704
Chiming in to say this us the right move. If a headphone half the cost is doing it for you stick with it. Then when you get upgraditis consequentially in a few years you'll have plenty to grow into.
Even audiophiles with endgame end up in a cycle of sidegrading eventually.
Save your money, maybe the he-1000's not for you but a new hifiman gen and competition will always come down the line
The main things I feel like I'm missing out that I experienced with the HekV2 was timbre and texture. I'd be very curious of whether it would be worthwhile upgrading to the HekV2 SE vs. the new Arya Organic. I'd be after as much detail / texture as possible, but without sacrificing an impactful bass.

The smarter thing would be me to do as you suggest and be content with what I have for the time, either way.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2023 at 7:43 AM Post #13,353 of 14,704
Hopefully my HEK Stealth will arrive this week. I will compare them to Arya Stealth. Very excited!
I ordered HEK Stealth but they send me HEKSE instead lol. Such a beautiful headphone. I don't understand why but HEKSE looks smaller and more compact than Arya Stealth to the eye for some reason lol.

Coming from Arya Stealth, the technicality difference is quite significant. HEKSE resolves every minute detail. Listening to them feels like there are way more things going on in the music. Very impressive.

Aug 27, 2023 at 8:16 AM Post #13,354 of 14,704
I ordered HEK Stealth but they send me HEKSE instead lol. Such a beautiful headphone. I don't understand why but HEKSE looks smaller and more compact than Arya Stealth to the eye for some reason lol.

Coming from Arya Stealth, the technicality difference is quite significant. HEKSE resolves every minute detail. Listening to them feels like there are way more things going on in the music. Very impressive.
Yes it’s a fabulous headphone—did they charge you for the HEKse or for the Stealth? If you only paid $1,399 you got a great deal!

Aug 27, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #13,355 of 14,704
The main things I feel like I'm missing out that I experienced with the HekV2 was timbre and texture. I'd be very curious of whether it would be worthwhile upgrading to the HekV2 SE vs. the new Arya Organic. I'd be after as much detail / texture as possible, but without sacrificing an impactful bass.

The smarter thing would be me to do as you suggest and be content with what I have for the time, either way.
If the brightness of the HEKV2 troubled you, you should probably forgo the HEKse or the HEK Stealth. I’d consider waiting for their next flagship or find a set of Meze Elites on sale—the latter is very smooth and light on the treble and the hybrid pads have a very robust, smooth bass response. I am more keen on high end so I listen to my HEK Stealths/SEs far more often than the Elites, but Meze makes extraordinary stuff—just the build quality, aesthetics and fit alone are worth the price. Plus they come with a sturdy aluminum valise that looks better than a Rimowa suitcase!

Aug 27, 2023 at 9:18 AM Post #13,356 of 14,704
Yes it’s a fabulous headphone—did they charge you for the HEKse or for the Stealth? If you only paid $1,399 you got a great deal!
They charged me for Stealth. Great deal indeed. It's almost 50% more expensive than Stealth. Drivers are quite different than Arya and HEK. There is almost nothing in the way of sound waves. Diaphragm is almost fully exposed. I didn't noticed this before.
headphones-23.jpg

headphones-18.jpg

Interesting designs. I wonder what are the trade offs.

Aug 27, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #13,357 of 14,704
They charged me for Stealth. Great deal indeed. It's almost 50% more expensive than Stealth. Drivers are quite different than Arya and HEK. There is almost nothing in the way of sound waves. Diaphragm is almost fully exposed. I didn't noticed this before.
headphones-23.jpg

headphones-18.jpg

Can I see a shot from the window shade side of your magnets, please?
Thanks

Aug 27, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #13,359 of 14,704

HekSe won't do timbral accuracy better then hekv2 period , the hekv2 is better in this regard ( the stealth too )

Aug 27, 2023 at 11:51 AM Post #13,360 of 14,704
HekSe won't do timbral accuracy better then hekv2 period , the hekv2 is better in this regard ( the stealth too )
Eh, yeboyi just got a stupendous deal and a fabulous headphone—let’s let him enjoy it!

I own both the HEKse and the HEK Stealth and auditioned the V2 for over a month—their primary differences are in tuning, not so much timbre in my opinion (and sensitivity—the former two are much easier to drive). The two Stealth models are the clear winners in detail retrieval, and not just because of the boosted frequencies above 10,000hz but in actual performance—I don’t know what Hifiman did between 2017 and 2018 to improve the SE in this regard, but it’s pretty much the most resolving headphone I’ve ever heard.

And with a bit of PEQ taming the highs a bit, the instruments sound astonishingly lifelike to me. The only reason I listen to the Stealth more these days is due to their somewhat increased bass response. I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the three to be honest, if you’ve got a powerful enough amp for the V2s! The differences are nit picking at this level of performance and come down to taste preferences, and he sounds happy. I remember when I got my SE and I’ve been in heaven since! :)

Aug 27, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #13,361 of 14,704
headphones-23.jpg

headphones-18.jpg

The only trade off I’ve ever found with the SE is their brightness—if that’s really a trade off. The brightness is part of their incredible detail retrieval and I think you got one hell of a deal. If you live with it for awhile and sense any fatigue I’m sure Hifiman would take them back for the Stealths, or cut you a deal on their next flagship. But you got an endgame headphone for $2100 less than I paid for them, so I think you have one lucky find on your hands there!

Aug 27, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #13,362 of 14,704
Eh, yeboyi just got a stupendous deal and a fabulous headphone—let’s let him enjoy it!

I own both the HEKse and the HEK Stealth and auditioned the V2 for over a month—their primary differences are in tuning, not so much timbre in my opinion (and sensitivity—the former two are much easier to drive). The two Stealth models are the clear winners in detail retrieval, and not just because of the boosted frequencies above 10,000hz but in actual performance—I don’t know what Hifiman did between 2017 and 2018 to improve the SE in this regard, but it’s pretty much the most resolving headphone I’ve ever heard.

And with a bit of PEQ taming the highs a bit, the instruments sound astonishingly lifelike to me. The only reason I listen to the Stealth more these days is due to their somewhat increased bass response. I don’t think you can go wrong with any of the three to be honest, if you’ve got a powerful enough amp for the V2s! The differences are nit picking at this level of performance and come down to taste preferences, and he sounds happy. I remember when I got my SE and I’ve been in heaven since! :)
I got the 3 for quite extended time ( side by side ), and - **as many other owners ** - agree on fact that hekse have a most evident limit in timbral accuracy, in particular compared to hekv2 hekstealths, and even more to their own set of other technicalities

Happy to give my honest opinion from own experience without fear of persecutions or hurting someone sensitivity😕

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2023 at 3:16 PM Post #13,363 of 14,704

The only trade off I’ve ever found with the SE is their brightness—if that’s really a trade off. The brightness is part of their incredible detail retrieval and I think you got one hell of a deal. If you live with it for awhile and sense any fatigue I’m sure Hifiman would take them back for the Stealths, or cut you a deal on their next flagship. But you got an endgame headphone for $2100 less than I paid for them, so I think you have one lucky find on your hands there!
Thanks :) I didn't have much time with them yet. I try to not get hyped and asses the headphones as objective as possible when i share my thoughts. I'm not sure if these are brighter than Arya Stealth but i can say the treble is more present and noticeable, it's not masked behind anything. There are more imaging points/locations. You can dissect everything. Also it's a bit more distant, laid back sounding headphone compared to Arya.

I will ask them if they are ok with me keeping the HEKSE since i paid for the HEKS.

Aug 28, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #13,364 of 14,704
V2, Stealth, SE, Arya, yadda…

My best-sounding of all my headphones is still the original HE1000 through the EF-6 amp. HE1000… just like the thread title says.

Yet I can imagine the newer ones being even better, yes, Better Than The Best! But I am happy with mine!

1693236304040.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back