Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Feb 17, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #11,551 of 14,719
-bass is tighter , leaner and cleaner with he1000se , it is better controlled and feels a little better tuned , drier too .
bass is wetter and penetrating the ambient and dimensions at times with he1000v2stealth , it rarely happens with he1000se , bass is very precise and defined in its space . feels *a little bit deeper with he1000se too at times .

-music is more a 3d envelope with he1000v2stealth , a bubbled universe that wants to grab all your attention "hey I started and I will draw emotions and colors in you " with this or that , in its well defined articulate and expressive partiture
-with he1000se space feels more linear , an open field with lot of air up and invite you to measure distances and reverbs , to let it flow and enjoy it without being in awe ; I wouldn't say it is worse ; it is asking less attention .

-there's no dubt that guitars sound closer and more analogue and more alive with he1000v2stealth , where they're thinner and usually less expanded with their reverbs and distortions with he1000se ; the he1000V2stealth are warmer and more analoguish sounding then the he1000se, I must admit that drums timbre is usually better and voices are less sibiling with them ( eq can do something too but the timbre - at least with this instruments is ultimately and quite noticeably better with he1000V2stealth )

-the level of insights in the recording for both headphones is outstanding , I am picking up faults or mixing oversights I never noticed before , and it's been a time it did not happen.. made a short test and level of resolution seems very close not sure it is different between the two . probably not . I am waiting full burn in as for bass the he1000se seem to offer a better resolve ; for microdetails characterized by high frqs nuances : they're layering different , and tone is different , but that microdetails hard to hear and notice are equally present. although in different layers and timbres . will see and report better in this aspect with more listenings

-dynamics seems slightly better on he1000se . I need more time for this
-layering seems a bit better on he1000se ( but it is a hit and miss it may be overkill for some genres and tacks where chiururgic layering is not a need... nevertheless I appreciate this ) : there's definitely more sense of space and air with he1000se whereas there's more diffusion and less emptyness among instruments in the mix with he1000v2stealth

as I already said , the he1000se moves more in a land of classic reference through genres , excelling in some things ( space , dimensions , measures and reference , speed , bass timbre and separation , feeling of air and open space , sure she feels the more electrostatic' alike . Something tells me that scalability goes furher with them then with he1000v2stealth; the he1000v2stealth are a bit of a different beast really , they seem more tuned ( warmer ) , they sound more modern , engaging , more intimate many times , music sounds and whispers and talks closer and wetter ( at the expense of a narrower stage ? someone may say so depending on what he values more on his listening habits ) , also they want more attention too in their presentation and expression ( again , someone may say this is better .. someone other may say he feels better the other way , enjoying the ride without any added fatigue .. )
What amp are you driving them with?

Feb 18, 2023 at 12:11 AM Post #11,554 of 14,719
-bass is tighter , leaner and cleaner with he1000se , it is better controlled and feels a little better tuned , drier too .
bass is wetter and penetrating the ambient and dimensions at times with he1000v2stealth , it rarely happens with he1000se , bass is very precise and defined in its space . feels *a little bit deeper with he1000se too at times .

-music is more a 3d envelope with he1000v2stealth , a bubbled universe that wants to grab all your attention "hey I started and I will draw emotions and colors in you " with this or that , in its well defined articulate and expressive partiture
-with he1000se space feels more linear , an open field with lot of air up and invite you to measure distances and reverbs , to let it flow and enjoy it without being in awe ; I wouldn't say it is worse ; it is asking less attention .

-there's no dubt that guitars sound closer and more analogue and more alive with he1000v2stealth , where they're thinner and usually less expanded with their reverbs and distortions with he1000se ; the he1000V2stealth are warmer and more analoguish sounding then the he1000se, I must admit that drums timbre is usually better and voices are less sibiling with them ( eq can do something too but the timbre - at least with these instruments and seemengly for voices too is ultimately and quite noticeably better with he1000V2stealth )

-the level of insights in the recording for both headphones is outstanding , I am picking up faults or mixing oversights I never noticed before , and it's been a time it did not happen.. made a short test and level of resolution seems very close not sure it is different between the two . probably not . I am waiting full burn in as for bass the he1000se seem to offer a better resolve ; for microdetails characterized by high frqs nuances : they're layering different , and tone is different , but that microdetails hard to hear and notice are equally present. although in different layers and timbres . will see and report better in this aspect with more listenings

-dynamics seems slightly better on he1000se . I need more time for this
-layering seems better on he1000se ( but it is a hit and miss as it may be overkill for some genres and tracks where chirurgic layering is not a need... nevertheless I appreciate and dig this value , more then its absence) ; there's definitely more sense of space and air with he1000se whereas there's more diffusion and less emptyness among instruments in the mix with he1000v2stealth

as I already said , the he1000se moves more in a land of classic reference through genres , excelling in some things ( space , dimensions , measures and reference , speed , bass timbre and separation , feeling of air and open space , sure she feels the more electrostatic' alike . Something tells me that scalability goes furher with them then with he1000v2stealth; the he1000v2stealth are a bit of a different beast really , they seem more tuned ( warmer ) , they sound more modern , engaging , more intimate many times , music sounds and whispers and talks closer and wetter ( at the expense of a narrower stage ? someone may say so depending on what he values more on his listening habits ) , also they want more attention too in their presentation and expression ( again , someone may say this is better .. someone other may say he feels better the other way , enjoying the ride without any added fatigue .. )

Thanks for your impressions.

However, one thing that I ALWAYS find extremely helpful in these types of direct comparisons is to pick 2 or 3 specific, but well-known, high quality tracks to compare and contrast between the two headphones/IEMs/speakers, etc.

That helps readers better understand and relate to your findings, because they are more likely to be familiar with the track and its general overall properties. Or you can add a link to it so others can listen for themselves and understand what you are describing.

For instance, you might desribe the differences between the stick attack and then the following decay and sustain of the resonance and harmonics of the ride cymbal in Patricia Barber's "Nardis" track.

And then you could compare the difference in the vocal presentation, bass, piano, and drum solo, as well as the differences in the dynamics, and imaging/soundstage.

This is just an one EXAMPLE. They could be any genre or style. For instance, how do they compare with a simple acoustic trio track, and how do they differ with a busier, more complex mix, such as Tears for Fears "Woman in Chains"?

For example, Woman In Chains, Roland's main vocal should be front and center, but Oleta Adams' background vocal should appear ~1m above and ~2m behind Roland. I find that the imaging/placement of these will vary A LOT between different headphones/IEMs/loudspeakers.

And, the Soundstage in general is EXPANSIVE in both Width AND Depth. There are A LOT of different instruments and elements that should have their own distinct point in space in the soundstage, and they should not appear to be cluttered or muddy/blended together.

And below is one of the Absolute Best tracks I've found to demonstrate the DIFFERENCES in capabilities between any two or more headphones/IEMs/loudspeakers in regards to Tonality, Imaging & Soundstage, Dynamics, Attack & Decay, Midbass & Bass Speed & Detail, and "Room" ambience.

There are just 3 Elements to this track: Piano, Drums, and Electric Bass. But they are each incredibly detailed and extremely revealing. It's a Telarc recording.

It can and will sound VASTLY different depending on the capabilities of each system it is played on, so this is the ONE TRACK that I use that instantly tells me if a system is "there" yet, or not...

I've nicknamed it "The Litmus Test". :wink:

Jacques Loussier Trio Plays Bach - Encore! - "Little Fugue in G Minor, BWV 578" (Jazz version)

https://music.apple.com/us/album/little-fugue-in-g-minor-bwv-578-jazz-version/266296301?i=266296307

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2023 at 3:24 AM Post #11,555 of 14,719
@bbfoto will do( why not);
I have nephew family to "manage" in the time of the w.e. so your task goes to next week 👍
I am sure I don't have the ultimate matched system for he1000se but sure i've been enjoying them very much already🤠

@Tada i am enjoying them from all 3 really... The ef400 is the one lagging behind ( not so special )

The Soloist is the most convincing for raw power control and dynamics , sure thing. I need some tweaking for timbral accuracy/brightness for the he1000se here..talk about cables ic dac power conditioner or filter or/and eq. But I find the correct change in the formula, it could win easy over anything I've heard as a reference system . The he1000se are no joke .
Susvara are coming later in March , i will compare ..but they are said to need an atomic plant to sing near potential , i am not sure I will have something adequate still at that time.

The he1000v2stealth sounds very detailed and moving out of the nw mw1zm2, with many added benefits //OT the player ( it is a dap..portable if it matters ) holds some advanced dsp and among them a DSD remastering processor that defines better the stage without any highs overtone or glare ( cfr upsampling) and a Vynil processor that works well in adding body and bass tone and reverb > but cutting on decay and bloom - never been a fan of post processing but...i like turntubles and I am using this combo with pleasure and surprise, it injects soul in the he1000V2Stealth keeping all the refinement in nuances and fine details in reverbs and recorded decays. The tradeoff with this combo is it doesn't offer dramatic dynamics for volume , peaks and valleys to shake your brain ; but it is a super fine refined sound image with the best and cleanest stereo dynamics i've heard , add that timbral accuracy with the he1000V2stealth is more generally and more easily on spot that with their sibilings🤗..🙂

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2023 at 6:50 AM Post #11,557 of 14,719
Thanks, good to hear the Soloist is a good match. I drive my headphones with the Conductor which probably sounds the most similar to that setup.

Feb 18, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #11,559 of 14,719
My replacement is apparently being sourced from the US to the Canadian distributor instead of having to come from China first so hopefully that’ll cut some of my wait down. I begin the waiting game again.

Feb 18, 2023 at 1:54 PM Post #11,561 of 14,719
Pretty good write up... I don't understand why people write its a V3.... there is no indication from Hifiman on the packaging or the website that refers the headphone to be a V3... I guess now Hifiman can't release a V3 in the future ??? Officially its called the HE1000 Stealth, as that is what is on the packaging and that is what is on the website...

there is no HE1000 version 3 with stealth magnets..... but I can't wait to hear what those sound like when they are created...

Feb 18, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #11,562 of 14,719
Strictly speaking I do think the stealth magnets are worth a V3 revision and it echoes my sentiments - I am incredibly glad I have gotten the Stealths and have had the chance to enjoy them without worrying about what the V2s could be.
Absolutely, sit with them, let yourself fall in love. I'm going to do my proper writeup later as I feel I've hit the end of burn-in almost.

Feb 18, 2023 at 4:03 PM Post #11,563 of 14,719
well.. there was actually two different v2's .... so I guess you could call it a V4 if you follow that logic... there is Audeze who also do version differences and don't change the names.... not cool actually.... if I am going to be buying any item I'd like to know what it is without having to go thru who knows what to find out all of the revisions.... wouldn't be nice for someone to buy a used HE1000 and not know exactly what they had paid for... and if that person was going to buy a used HE1000 that someone advertised as a V3... then they would find out a V3 never existed.... hope you can see the issue of calling something that its not.... I still find it interesting how a HE1000SE vs the HE1000 Stealth price difference is just the fancy box at $1500 diff... for just a few more dollars you could get two HE1000 Stealths or a better DAC/AMP

Feb 18, 2023 at 5:26 PM Post #11,565 of 14,719
well.. there was actually two different v2's .... so I guess you could call it a V4 if you follow that logic... there is Audeze who also do version differences and don't change the names.... not cool actually.... if I am going to be buying any item I'd like to know what it is without having to go thru who knows what to find out all of the revisions.... wouldn't be nice for someone to buy a used HE1000 and not know exactly what they had paid for... and if that person was going to buy a used HE1000 that someone advertised as a V3... then they would find out a V3 never existed.... hope you can see the issue of calling something that its not.... I still find it interesting how a HE1000SE vs the HE1000 Stealth price difference is just the fancy box at $1500 diff... for just a few more dollars you could get two HE1000 Stealths or a better DAC/AMP
From everything I’ve seen the HE1000 and HE1000 SE are very different headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back