Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Jan 18, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #901 of 14,705
Jan 18, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #902 of 14,705
I hope to have the opportunity to demo the different Audeze phones. I'm still not really sure what would the sound differences be between the LCD 3 and LCD X, etc.

But I do know that I LOVE the bass on my HE-500... I don't think I ever heard a better bass articulation, in either headphones or speakers.

Jan 18, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #903 of 14,705
I hope to have the opportunity to demo the different Audeze phones. I'm still not really sure what would the sound differences be between the LCD 3 and LCD X, etc.

But I do know that I LOVE the bass on my HE-500... I don't think I ever heard a better bass articulation, in either headphones or speakers.

I'm considering buying the older HiFiMANs. The HE-400 looks like tremendous value for money, especially now.

Wish the HE-1000 would be in the same direction (value for money) and would tweak the outside physical design a bit. Still lots of time to do this.

Jan 18, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #904 of 14,705
I'm considering buying the older HiFiMANs. The HE-400 looks like tremendous value for money, especially now.

Wish the HE-1000 would be in the same direction (value for money) and would tweak the outside physical design a bit. Still lots of time to do this.

I find it interesting that Audeze were always the "upper class" planars while HiFiMan were "value for money" planars (in as much as headphones that costs hundreds of dollars are 'value'... lol). But at CES they switched roles - Audeze trying to break into the sub-1k market, while HiFiMan debuted their no-holds-barred, yet to be priced TOTL headphone.

Any reason why you're looking at the HE-400 and not the HE-500? HE-500 used can be found for 350-400$ these days, which seems like crazy value, and given that HE-500 (for reasons beyond my understanding) are out of production now, I would expect those prices to slowly creep up in the near future.

Jan 18, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #905 of 14,705

It's far more likely that they'll price this in stratosphere and then release a trickle-down version later with the same tech in a more affordable package.  

Fang has something special here and I don't think we should be encouraging him to water it down.  The pricing may end up being out of our reach and we'll have to accept that.  I surely hope with all my heart that it's not in the $3k range, but if it is, I would certainly understand it.

Jan 19, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #906 of 14,705
I find it interesting that Audeze were always the "upper class" planars while HiFiMan were "value for money" planars (in as much as headphones that costs hundreds of dollars are 'value'... lol). But at CES they switched roles - Audeze trying to break into the sub-1k market, while HiFiMan debuted their no-holds-barred, yet to be priced TOTL headphone.

Any reason why you're looking at the HE-400 and not the HE-500? HE-500 used can be found for 350-400$ these days, which seems like crazy value, and given that HE-500 (for reasons beyond my understanding) are out of production now, I would expect those prices to slowly creep up in the near future.

Reason is more value for money, I don't think there's substantial improvement on the HE-500 over the HE-400 for almost double the price. I already have the LCD-2, and I don't think the HE-500 would be much different nor much better.

And I'm intrigued on the HE-400's bass, clarity and resolution. Was chosen among best high-end headphone by CNET, bypassing both HE-500 and HE-6. The list is a price no issue list.

Jan 19, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #907 of 14,705
Reason is more value for money, I don't think there's substantial improvement on the HE-500 over the HE-400 for almost double the price. I already have the LCD-2, and I don't think the HE-500 would be much different nor much better.

And I'm intrigued on the HE-400's bass, clarity and resolution. Was chosen among best high-end headphone by CNET, bypassing both HE-500 and HE-6. The list is a price no issue list.

i had the basic stax model and the he 400 is very different soundwise but quality wise is in the same league... i enjoyed the two and they are completely different  .... at opposite ends.... great bass for the He 400 ... better clarity for the stax.... impossible to sell one or the other.... for movies i prefered the he 400 ...its more relax....for jazz also....but for classical music stax is better.....impossible choice....i liked them both connected to my marvellous Ember .....best regards  p.s. i dreamed now about the he1000

Jan 19, 2015 at 12:40 AM Post #908 of 14,705

Where's the Rasta wit da ganja emo 
eek.gif

j/k.  Hit that 400 and enjoy 
beerchug.gif

Jan 19, 2015 at 1:11 AM Post #910 of 14,705
Here are my impressions if anyone is interested. Bass quality is excellent on the HE1000. Very powerful & rich.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/751421/new-york-mini-meet-hifiman-he-1000-impressions-thread/15#post_11238316

Jan 19, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #911 of 14,705
Where's the Rasta wit da ganja emo :eek:

j/k.  Hit that 400 and enjoy :beerchug:  

Exactly. A $300 HE-400 bested its own big brothers in that list that includes the HD-800 and LCD-3, among others.

I didn't understand this though: "Rasta wit da ganja emo"???

Jan 19, 2015 at 2:05 AM Post #912 of 14,705
Exactly. A $300 HE-400 bested its own big brothers in that list that includes the HD-800 and LCD-3, among others.

I don't think many audiophiles would consider Cnet a valid test source. I know I wouldn't. I don't even consider them a definitive source for computer information.

Jan 19, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #913 of 14,705

I don't think many audiophiles would consider Cnet a valid test source. I know I wouldn't. I don't even consider them a definitive source for computer information.

Pretty much that, though I'm not sure I'm an audiophile.  Perhaps compared to those tokers.  I think the CNET dudes were smokin' somethin', and I wanted an emo to convey that.  But like I said, if you think the 400s are better for you, go for it 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 19, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #914 of 14,705

Cool. There's no doubt that both are great headphones.

Tyll once did a comparison between HE-500 and much pricier TOTL headphones (no HE-400 in the list though), which also showed the HE-500 competes favourably.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/comparing-world-class-headphones

Jan 19, 2015 at 3:05 AM Post #915 of 14,705

Maybe their source and amplification wasn't up to snuff. I demoed HE-400's once and didn't think too much of them. But at $300 they're definitely great value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back