Hifiman HE1000 Planar Dynamic Headphone
Jan 18, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #886 of 14,683
  Wow I like see 845 glowing !

It's an imposing tube. Makes a 300B look like a 40W light bulb.

Downside is that these monster tubes each burn 100W to produce 20W of audio output - so the amp is chewing over 200W and most of that is output as heat. It is summer in my part of the world and this thing heats the living room at least another 5 degress beyond ambient. It's like running a small BBQ in your lounge.

Jan 18, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #887 of 14,683
More to the point, where has the color gone from these photos? :eek: :)

That's the only downside other than price. Taking pictures while it's on does something to the image sensor that desaturates photos.

Jan 18, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #888 of 14,683
  Even lower end Hifiman models have same if not more satisfying than the more recent Audeze type of bass.  The more recent lcd2 and 3 (even before they introduced favors into them), had a less visceral bass than the 400 and 560.  Only the LCD-X punches as well down low as the 560 and 400.  Descriptions make it seem like the HE-1000 will leave the Audeze bass far behind-- as the Audeze bass is very soft.

...with the wrong amplification.

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #891 of 14,683
Jan 18, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #892 of 14,683

No that's just the nature of Audeze bass.

My experience directly comparing the LCD-2F to the 400i doesn't line up with yours either. The Audeze's greater bass extension and impact was the most immediately notable difference in comparing the two. Sample variation? Fit/seal issue? The HiFiMan's aren't bad at all, but I can't say I heard them as superior in this regard.

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #893 of 14,683

...in your opinion...certainly not mine. 
biggrin.gif
 (I'm with Beagle here)

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:20 PM Post #894 of 14,683
Just the way I heard it.  The LCD2 I had didn't hit harder than my HE-400.  The LCD-X and especially LCD-3 didn't hit harder than my 560.  However, the LCD-X unmistakably had more bass than the 560, while the quantity of the 3's bass was comparable but slightly more and slightly more rounded compared to the 560.

I know a couple other Hifiman owners and HD800 owners who all agree on the Audeze's bass lacking tactility and being rounded in general.  It's one of the reasons why I prefer Hifiman over Audeze in general.

Anyways, as it pertains to the topic, if the HE-1000 sports the best Hifiman bass it will certainly be in contention for best bass period.  Just hoping the headphones themselves are sold separate from the amp and are sold cheaply.

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:29 PM Post #895 of 14,683

I know a couple other Hifiman owners and HD800 owners who all agree on the Audeze's bass lacking tactility and being rounded in general.  It's one of the reasons why I prefer Hifiman over Audeze in general.

You're kind of changing the talking points here - Roundness and tactility are different characteristics than bass extension and bass impact. This said, I agree with you regarding your later point quoted above, but not with your former point when speaking of the 400i. I haven't compared the 560 to the Audeze's, and you may very well be correct in that regard. However, the 400i was a different story to my ear.

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #896 of 14,683

Agree with you. Why Audeze didn't retain the 2012 and early 2013 bass quality is incomprehensible to me. They wanted the LCD-X to have it without competition from LCD-2, maybe? What do you think? But it's off topic, so digress.

Which HiFiMAN modeldo you think has the best quality bass? HE-560? You think the recent one-sided magneted HiFiMANs lost a bit bass quality?

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #897 of 14,683
  You're kind of changing the talking points here - Roundness and tactility are different characteristics than bass extension and bass impact. This said, I agree with you regarding your later point quoted above, but not with your former point when speaking of the 400i. I haven't compared the 560 to the Audeze's, and you may very well be correct in that regard. However, the 400i was a different story to my ear.

Bass impact and the notion of tactility are very synonymous.  I never brought up the aspect of extension in the first place. All Audezes extend effortlessly to 30hz and below depending on seal to your skin; they have very little problem with extension.  400i lacks in this department a little bit.  

In listening to all the Audezes, they all have a characteristic roundness to their bass compared to the snappier and more tactile Hifiman.  I find the Hifiman cans to kick slightly harder in the mid-bass, and more lower treble certainly helps with the sense of an attack during percussion strikes. 

If Hifiman can take its characteristic bass and further it even more with the HE-1000, which it looks like it, it should sound stupidly great.

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #898 of 14,683

Agree with you. Why Audeze didn't retain the 2012 and early 2013 bass quality is incomprehensible to me. They wanted the LCD-X to have it without competition from LCD-2, maybe? What do you think? But it's off topic, so digress.

Which HiFiMAN modeldo you think has the best quality bass? HE-560? You think the recent one-sided magneted HiFiMANs lost a bit bass quality?

LCD-X definitely has a whole lotta bass down low and punches harder there, even Tyll comments on that during his LCD-X review.  I agree with him on that aspect.  I don't know why they're slowly moving away from their earlier signatures though.

I haven't heard an HE-6, but of the rest I think the 400 has the best bass.  :)

Hoping more people can fill this topic up shortly!

Jan 18, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #899 of 14,683

Bass impact and the notion of tactility are very synonymous.  I never brought up the aspect of extension in the first place. All Audezes extend effortlessly to 30hz and below depending on seal to your skin; they have very little problem with extension.  400i lacks in this department a little bit.  

In listening to all the Audezes, they all have a characteristic roundness to their bass compared to the snappier and more tactile Hifiman.  I find the Hifiman cans to kick slightly harder in the mid-bass, and more lower treble certainly helps with the sense of an attack during percussion strikes. 

Gotcha. I typically think of "impact" as being more of a macro level trait, and "tactility" as being a more on the micro level. I can see how you're using it though, now that you point it out. Vocab usage issues.  

Agreed regarding the roundness. It's quite obvious comparing the HE-6 to the LCD-3, the latter emphasizing a more buttery quality (a coloration IMO), and the former with a greater sense of attack and definition on the edges of the sounds. Some people like it, some people don't.

Jan 18, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #900 of 14,683
  Gotcha. I typically think of "impact" as being more of a macro level trait, and "tactility" as being a more on the micro level. I can see how you're using it though, now that you point it out. Vocab usage issues.  

Agreed regarding the roundness. It's quite obvious comparing the HE-6 to the LCD-3, the latter emphasizing a more buttery quality (a coloration IMO), and the former with a greater sense of attack and definition on the edges of the sounds. Some people like it, some people don't.

Yes I definitely hear you on the macro vs micro thing. :)  

Anyways, I don't want to derail the topic into an Audeze bass discussion.  More HE-1000 impressions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back