HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Jul 14, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #20,491 of 21,868
I wouldn't mod your HE-6 if you don't have to. You've already done the two things that affect the sound the most: giving it plenty of power and replacing the mediocre stock pads. You also did the pads the way I did, using the stock rings, which I honestly think sounds the best.

Unmodded HE-6 are hard to find and, at least in my opinion, more desirable when/if you sell it on.

Never sell!

Jul 14, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #20,492 of 21,868
I think I will leave my HE-6 as it is for now. The Blutack mod does seem very interesting but I read some people snapped a wire while doing it and as I can’t solder and don’t have a audio repair nearby it seems too scary for my blood :wink:. I also don’t find it lacking for now. With the balanced Toxic Audio cable, ZMF Ori pads and Yamaha CA-1000 through a HE-adapter I’m in audio heaven. Everything sounds so damn realistic and natural/effortless it’s almost ridicilous. They just dethroned the HE-500/Ori/LCD-X as the best headphones I’ve ever heard and it’s not that close.

Jul 14, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #20,493 of 21,868
I think I will leave my HE-6 as it is for now. The Blutack mod does seem very interesting but I read some people snapped a wire while doing it and as I can’t solder and don’t have a audio repair nearby it seems too scary for my blood :wink:. I also don’t find it lacking for now. With the balanced Toxic Audio cable, ZMF Ori pads and Yamaha CA-1000 through a HE-adapter I’m in audio heaven. Everything sounds so damn realistic and natural/effortless it’s almost ridicilous. They just dethroned the HE-500/Ori/LCD-X as the best headphones I’ve ever heard and it’s not that close.

Yeah I too am scared to do mods like that Blutack one. Heck I was even scared to do the bass port mod to the Stax SR-007A.

I also had an HE-6 (LFF Code-6 more specifically) and ZMF Ori at the same time. The two were very close in overall enjoyment to me, but for largely different reasons; the HE-6's openness and imaging versus the Ori's bass impact, more detailed vocals, and sweeter top end. I only sold the HE-6 because to my ears, the Stax SR-009 is like a better version of it.

Jul 14, 2018 at 7:49 PM Post #20,494 of 21,868
@Rhamnetin I think we have similar SQ preferences. I agree about the Ori 100 percent. The tuning by Zach is just stellar. The bass is the best I’ve heard because off the (added) sub bass and not bloated mid bass which is quite rare (for a headphone with big bass) and pretty much spectacular. Doesn’t bleed into the mids either and because of that makes it a win for me as a mid-centric enthousiast.

But the HE-6 sounds more realistic because of the treble and openness. I almost feel like I’m watching it live and not listening to a headphone. Every instrument sounds life like. It’s just so well balanced. Really wish I had the funds to buy the Code-6 that is on the market now in the EU so I could try them side by side and keep the winner (to my ears).

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #20,495 of 21,868
Blutack mod can only further improve the bass and lower overall distortion. You can try the bass lens mod, which is fully reversible and easy to do. The grill mod is, as stated above, good for opening up the sound. My favorite pads are the Dekoni velour. I think the fuzzor mod would be overkill, especially if you have no treble issues now.

Which specific Dekoni velour pads? The TH-900 ones?

Jul 14, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #20,497 of 21,868
@Rhamnetin I think we have similar SQ preferences. I agree about the Ori 100 percent. The tuning by Zach is just stellar. The bass is the best I’ve heard because off the (added) sub bass and not bloated mid bass which is quite rare (for a headphone with big bass) and pretty much spectacular. Doesn’t bleed into the mids either and because of that makes it a win for me as a mid-centric enthousiast.

But the HE-6 sounds more realistic because of the treble and openness. I almost feel like I’m watching it live and not listening to a headphone. Every instrument sounds life like. It’s just so well balanced. Really wish I had the funds to buy the Code-6 that is on the market now in the EU so I could try them side by side and keep the winner (to my ears).

Unfortunately I never got to compare the Code-6 to the stock HE-6 directly, and while I listened to both on a very similar amp, my experience with the HE-6 was in a very noisy environment. I do wonder how they compare, the only difference I was able to make out is that the Code-6's treble with the right pads (FocusPad-A being my favorite) sounded more linear and a bit less powerful. But with the pads it came with, the treble was really sloppy.

Jul 18, 2018 at 12:16 PM Post #20,499 of 21,868
Hi guys,

I just removed the grills for a grill mod and found this mod I think. It looks like a big felt cloth and cotton. Any idea if this is a common mod?

55qx5g.jpg

Jul 18, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #20,500 of 21,868
Hi guys,

I just removed the grills for a grill mod and found this mod I think. It looks like a big felt cloth and cotton. Any idea if this is a common mod?

55qx5g.jpg

I don't remember the foam, but the cotton-like material is stock.

Jul 18, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #20,504 of 21,868
To anyone subscribed to this HE-6 thread .... have you listened to the Final Audio D8000? How would you compare them? Is the FA worth the premium? Thanx.

Jul 20, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #20,505 of 21,868
What is the general consensus regarding a tube speaker amp? I kinda miss the glow of a tube amp sometimes. I really love the Yamaha CA-1000 & Hifiman HE-6 combination though. Really can't complain, but maybe a good tube amp could make it sound even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back