HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Feb 17, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #18,316 of 21,868
  All of you guys who own the HE-6, what IEMs do you own and what IEMs do you think come the closest to sound compared to the HE-6?

Wow, never thought of that.  There aren`t many full sized headphones that come close to the HE-6 !  

For me, the only IEM I can think of that would parallel the HE-6 is the JVC FX-850.  Distractingly high-quality bass with impressive soundstage, sparkle and decent detail.  

Also distractingly heavy for an IEM. 

Feb 18, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #18,317 of 21,868
That's a great question! I don't have a ton of iem experience, but I feel like the Vsonic GR07 has a similar balance throughout the range and transparency that lets the music flow through.

I have the AN16 (Which is supposedly the GR07 in a GR06 shell), and I find it to be decent for the price, but nowhere close to the HE-6. The bass doesn't hit as hard, and the treble doesn't sparkle either. Clarity wise it lacks a bit as well.

Wow, never thought of that.  There aren`t many full sized headphones that come close to the HE-6 !  

For me, the only IEM I can think of that would parallel the HE-6 is the JVC FX-850.  Distractingly high-quality bass with impressive soundstage, sparkle and decent detail.  

Also distractingly heavy for an IEM. 

I've heard good things about the FX-850. It's just the comfort that puts me off. I was looking at the FLC8S or the IE800 which might be good options. I tried the IE800, but it seemed it had brighter treble than the HE-6. No vegan pads to tame it 
redface.gif

Feb 18, 2016 at 4:51 AM Post #18,318 of 21,868
  All of you guys who own the HE-6, what IEMs do you own and what IEMs do you think come the closest to sound compared to the HE-6?

I think my UM Miracle is close enough to HE-6 (modded) so it isn't a big signature departure. The Miracle has more sub bass, is less transparent and of course doesn't sound as open. Generally it's not far from HE-6 in terms of overall frequency response IMO, but this of course depends on the modding of HE-6 too.

Feb 18, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #18,319 of 21,868
I have the AN16 (Which is supposedly the GR07 in a GR06 shell), and I find it to be decent for the price, but nowhere close to the HE-6. The bass doesn't hit as hard, and the treble doesn't sparkle either. Clarity wise it lacks a bit as well.
I've heard good things about the FX-850. It's just the comfort that puts me off. I was looking at the FLC8S or the IE800 which might be good options. I tried the IE800, but it seemed it had brighter treble than the HE-6. No vegan pads to tame it :xf_eek:

On the GR07 I agree, it's not the sonic equal at all, but overall balance - it tends to have deeper but not over-emphasized bass and clear, not rolled, highs. For a budget iem, of course.

Feb 24, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #18,322 of 21,868
  Looking forward to hearing the HE6 for the first time this evening. It just arrived!

I think you'll be thoroughly impressed. Initially I found them rather bright compared to my HE-500, but coming from your HD800 you will probably find the treble fine and feel the bass is very impactful and present. Running off just my Emotiva Mini-x A-100 I was amazed, and I think your mjolnir will provide at least the same amount of, if not more, power to them.

Feb 24, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #18,323 of 21,868
Same experience here.  I got my replacement pair back from Hifiman,and they sounded really cloudy and "boxed" in once I played them for the first time...  It took several days to get anywhere near the sound of the pair that I blew on my vintage speaker amp in early January.  -I don't have time to listen every day and when I do it's only for an hour or 2.  -Since I bought my first pair second hand with about 300 hours on the clock, they were already burned in an ready to "rock"...  As soon as I put my HE6 wire ends into the (not even restored) Akal 1175 speaker terminals back in December,,, WOWSERS!!!!  -Just now getting back to the sound of the original broken-in pair that I bought....   Just be prepared....     

Feb 24, 2016 at 6:24 PM Post #18,324 of 21,868
Same experience here.  I got my replacement pair back from Hifiman,and they sounded really cloudy and "boxed" in once I played them for the first time...  It took several days to get anywhere near the sound of the pair that I blew on my vintage speaker amp in early January.  -I don't have time to listen every day and when I do it's only for an hour or 2.  -Since I bought my first pair second hand with about 300 hours on the clock, they were already burned in an ready to "rock"...  As soon as I put my HE6 wire ends into the (not even restored) Akal 1175 speaker terminals back in December,,, WOWSERS!!!!  -Just now getting back to the sound of the original broken-in pair that I bought....   Just be prepared....     

Feb 24, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #18,325 of 21,868

Feb 24, 2016 at 6:25 PM Post #18,326 of 21,868

Feb 24, 2016 at 7:06 PM Post #18,327 of 21,868
  Looking forward to hearing the HE6 for the first time this evening. It just arrived!

My HE-6 out of the box was wonderful. My thought was, "I've finally found a headphone that checks all my boxes." I let them burn in over a 100 hour period.  Now after a few weeks they're even more wonderful. Sometimes I can feel my eardrums vibrating from the deep, solid bass which is so satisfying compared to my Senn HD 800. And the mids and highs are present and plentiful with an accurate timbre which is miles ahead of my Audeze LCD-X.  The HE-6 has a wider sound stage and is much more detailed than my Senn HD 650. Some of my music I find a bit sibilant and glaring in the treble.  But when I compare the same music on my HD 800 and Monitor Audio speakers I hear the same thing so it's not the HE-6, but the way the music was engineered.  I'm sure you won't be disappointed.  The HE-6 is my phone for life.

Feb 24, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #18,329 of 21,868
I love my HE-6 and I find no fault with the stock XLR cable except for the fact that it's a short 6 ft 6 inches whereas Sennheiser cable is over 11 feet. Anyone use aftermarket cable with their 6? What brand and what does the cable do for the 6's already fantastic sound quality?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back