HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone
Feb 26, 2016 at 1:22 AM Post #18,346 of 21,868
....eh....?     
blink.gif

Feb 26, 2016 at 2:13 AM Post #18,347 of 21,868
Yeah HE6 has a clamping force that's not pleasant. If they could reproduce their sound in an HEX/K body, I would buy that in an instant. 

I have the stock velour pads—what's the difference between the focus pads and the focus pads-A? 

Velours are awful for comfort. Arguably the worst pads ever in this regard. Focus pad and focus pad-A are far more comfortable. I think they sound a little bit better too. The focus pad generally has a little bit more emphasis in the upper mid range. That is the main difference between the two. Overall, the Audeze Vegan pads tend to be the preferred choice these days on this thread. So you may want to take a look at those as well.

Feb 26, 2016 at 2:41 AM Post #18,348 of 21,868
Feb 26, 2016 at 9:02 AM Post #18,351 of 21,868
For all the guys with comfort issues:
Vegan pads + hd600 headband + these ulgy as sin chinese hand woven headband raps = one of the most comfortable headphones I have ever worn.

How did you get the HD600 headband on the HE-6? Got any pics?

I agree. I have the Vegan pads + HD201 foam pad + Woolen wrap = Great comfort!

Feb 26, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #18,354 of 21,868
I use the beyerdynamic snap on headband pad for my HE-6. I originally used it on my HE-400, then 500, and now my 6. I found it very evenly spreads out the weight on my head.

Feb 26, 2016 at 11:15 AM Post #18,355 of 21,868
Another plug for Lohb's suspension headband mod - I've used it on my HE-6 when I had it and have it currently on my HE-400.  Really ups the comfort dramatically. 

Feb 26, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #18,356 of 21,868
  I think he means the HD 600 pad

http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/sennheiser-foam-headband-pad-for-hd600-hd580.html

Aah okay. I'm using the HD201 pad

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Durable-1pc-Black-Headband-Cushion-Pad-with-Tape-for-Sennheiser-HD201-Headphones-/171813689989?hash=item2800e4da85:g:2NQAAOSwNSxVbpf4

Feb 26, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #18,357 of 21,868
Velours are awful for comfort. Arguably the worst pads ever in this regard. Focus pad and focus pad-A are far more comfortable. I think they sound a little bit better too. The focus pad generally has a little bit more emphasis in the upper mid range. That is the main difference between the two. Overall, the Audeze Vegan pads tend to be the preferred choice these days on this thread. So you may want to take a look at those as well.

While I find the Focus pads somewhat more comfortable I don't think the stock velours are 'awful'.
The old remedy for the scratchy stock velour is simply rinsing with a mild detergent (I used a wool wash - some say just plain warm water works).
I do think Focus pads are better finished and look far better on the headphones. Just wish I liked their sound.

*Warning, personal bias*
While many seem to favor the focus pads, I personally think they make the HE6 sound boring/uninteresting. This is either with or without the grill mod.
Call me crazy, but I preferred the HD600 to the HE6 with focus pads - which is definitely NOT the case with the stock velour on the HE6.
Audeze vegans are often put forward as 'end game' pads. However, I've read posts where listeners preferred the Focus pads.
confused.gif

All personal preference I guess.

Feb 26, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #18,358 of 21,868
While I find the Focus pads somewhat more comfortable I don't think the stock velours are 'awful'.
The old remedy for the scratchy stock velour is simply rinsing with a mild detergent (I used a wool wash - some say just plain warm water works).
I do think Focus pads are better finished and look far better on the headphones. Just wish I liked their sound.

*Warning, personal bias*
While many seem to favor the focus pads, I personally think they make the HE6 sound boring/uninteresting. This is either with or without the grill mod.
Call me crazy, but I preferred the HD600 to the HE6 with focus pads - which is definitely NOT the case with the stock velour on the HE6.
Audeze vegans are often put forward as 'end game' pads. However, I've read posts where listeners preferred the Focus pads.:confused:
All personal preference I guess.

I definitely prefer focuspad-a to the stock velour. I haven't had the chance to try the audeze vegan pads yet.

Feb 26, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #18,359 of 21,868
Here are some measurements of different pads I've tried on the HE-6.  This is with the HE-6 stock grills, fiber and foam.  

Audeze Pads:  I prefer these overall the most.

Focus A pads:  These are okay but the treble peak is the most apparent of all the pads and can get annoying.

Focus Pads:  I like these better than the Focus A pads.  Overall a more cohesive sound.

Pleather Pads:  Don't sound as bad as they measure.  Actually not ****, just different.  They don't have as much bass as the measurements would suggest.

Velour Pads:  2nd favorite pad.  Gives excellent timbre and excitement to the sound.  Can be bright or too edgy with the wrong amp.

Feb 26, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #18,360 of 21,868
  Here are some measurements of different pads I've tried on the HE-6.  This is with the HE-6 stock grills, fiber and foam.  

I wonder how the velpads would compare? I know it's completely different technology, but on my HE-300 I felt they opened up and leveled out the sound. Where as the velour and focus-a pads made it sound really thin and distant. The pleathers on the 300 made it really bassy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back