1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

HifiMAN HE-6 Planar Magnetic Headphone

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by jigf, May 21, 2010.
  1. Fearless1

Wow, so my ears are not lying to me! Thank you for this.

2. cskippy
    No problem!  What pads are you using?

3. Fearless1
    Vegans.

4. cskippy
    Nice!  [​IMG] 

Fearless1 likes this.
  5. bosiemoncrieff
    Is there any difference between the vegan and the audeze lambskin?

And where do the Hifiman leather pads fit into the hierarchy of pads?

6. musicinmymind

lambskin does not sound good with HE-6, I never did try it, but read on this thread.

7. cskippy
    Hifiman Leather is Pleather in my graphs on the previous page.

8. bosiemoncrieff
    I'm persuaded on sound. Can you speak to the improved comfort of the Audeze vegan pads re velour? 

9. cskippy
    Hahahahaha...sorry, comfort of Audeze vegan pads vs velour?  People switch to the Audeze pads solely based on comfort.  They are like pillows on your head.  It's an added benefit that they sound the best of all the pads on a stock/lightly modded HE-6.

10. Tobes

Thanks for posting those measurements.
    I'm guessing that it may be the bigger dip at 2khz for the Focus pads that I dislike - just creating too much suck-out in the mids relative to treble and response below 1khz.
    This might also explain my preference for the HD600 over HE6/Focus pads. HD600 doesn't dip much at all at this frequency - hence gives a more forward sound than even the HE6/stock velour combo, though at the expense of some perspective.
    I kind of expected to see the treble energy of the Focus pads more attenuated in comparison to the velour.
    The Audeze pads 'look' interesting as they pretty much flatten out after 2KHz which might correlate with a smooth balance. Would be interesting to see the response of these pads with the grill mod.

Edit: what the hell, just rolled the dice and ordered some vegan pads

11. Shazb0t

I find it strange, all the anecdotal evidence in this thread pointed to the focus-a pads having less treble response than the regular focus pads.

12. Hansotek

That extra volume in the 3-4khz region of the FocusPad is going to be the biggest difference in coloration for most people. To some ears, it may result in the pad sounding brighter overall, due to the contrast against the lower midrange.

Other folks may have some sensitivity to the relative frequency change between that lowered 3-4khz region on the FocusPad-A and the mid-treble, and hear that change as a bit of a spike.

It really comes down to the individual's ears, associated equipment and music selection.

13. ohhgourami
    About damn time.

14. bosiemoncrieff
    vegan pads in transit. :D

15. Tobes
    Yeah, I've been pretty tardy getting around to the vegans.[​IMG]
    I guess I was pretty happy with the overall sound of the stock velour and don't really have any strong issues with the comfort factor either.

I've been revisiting the grill mod for the past couple of weeks too.
    I was ambivalent about this mod previously - but that testing was done using the Xindak power amp.
    With the Khartago the highs have considerably more spaciousness, purity and finesse, so finding I'm more tolerant of the balance (I thought it might be the opposite since the Khartago sounds more airy and extended than the Xindak).
    Grill mod/stock velours does make the HE6 much more picky with poor/bright material - so some ambivalence remains.
    Hoping that the vegans may give a better balance while retaining the spaciousness/detail/purity of the grill modded HE6.